Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,208,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I like to put it in the refrigerator and then scoop off the "cream" at the top to use as topping for various desserts. It's very good dusted with a touch of cinnamon on top of butter and sugar fried plantains.
Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 12:35 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,907,287 times
You can buy coconut cream separately without the milk. There are a couple of canned versions, but I'd suggest the type in the carton (like the carton soups, broth and stock). Available at Asian markets, and you might find the canned at well stocked grocery stores.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,137,925 times
I would be concerned if it didn't separate like peanut butter. That means some chemical has been added to keep it from separating.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 PM

6,173 posts, read 4,553,360 times
I use the cream as a marinade, with spices. Rub it on your chicken and refrigerate it and it stays on.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:31 PM

Default Flan and Condensed Coconut Milk

I've been seeing sweetened condensed coconut milk around and began to wonder how it would behave in a recipe like flan that uses sweetened condensed milk as one of its main ingredients. Does anyone know?

MODS: maybe move to recipes?

Last edited by NYC refugee; 03-24-2023 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-25-2023, 07:29 AM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I've been seeing sweetened condensed coconut milk around and began to wonder how it would behave in a recipe like flan that uses sweetened condensed milk as one of its main ingredients. Does anyone know?

MODS: maybe move to recipes?

I didn't even know sweetened condensed milk was commonly used, the recipe I use either has whole milk or a 2:1 milk/cream mixture and it's delicious.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...-flan-de-leche

Old 03-25-2023, 10:56 AM

All the Latins I know, from various countries, use one can of sweetened condensed milk, one can of evaporated milk, one tablespoon of vanilla, and varying amounts of eggs, from as few as three to as many as 8. Make caramel in the pan you're cooking in, coat it by rolling it around until it cools, pour the above, blended, in the pan and cook.

I have nothing against dairy. I was just wondering if it would have the same texture and if it would impart any coconut flavor.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:12 PM

68,351 posts, read 54,507,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
All the Latins I know, from various countries, use one can of sweetened condensed milk, one can of evaporated milk, one tablespoon of vanilla, and varying amounts of eggs, from as few as three to as many as 8. Make caramel in the pan you're cooking in, coat it by rolling it around until it cools, pour the above, blended, in the pan and cook.

I have nothing against dairy. I was just wondering if it would have the same texture and if it would impart any coconut flavor.

Maybe the condensed/evaporated milk is a Latin American thing? Jose Andres has his mother's flan recipe on his site and the liquids are heavy cream and half & half.

I'm fond of the NYT recipe, it has a nice light texture to it.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Maybe the condensed/evaporated milk is a Latin American thing? Jose Andres has his mother's flan recipe on his site and the liquids are heavy cream and half & half.

I'm fond of the NYT recipe, it has a nice light texture to it.

That's SPANISH flan and I'm sure it's wonderful, but every other Latin and Hispanic country also makes flan and most of them use the ingredients I listed.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:22 AM

17,362 posts, read 11,332,349 times
"Flan" is a centuries old custard and sugar desert in many parts of Europe, not just Spain. It's older than the invention of sweetened condensed milk, which is a modern shortcut for making it. Different European countries have different names for it. I believe in France it's creme caramel, in England caramel custard
Growing up in Italy, it was one of my favorite things to eat, homemade the old fashioned way. At that time, sweetened condensed milk was unheard of in Italy.
Flan certainly isn't only a Latin American thing although Spaniards brought the recipe with them to the New World minus the sweetened condensed milk.

Last edited by marino760; 03-29-2023 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink