Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 32,215 times

Advertisements

I am not a huge fan of fish in the first place, but it seems like every fast food fish sandwich is really awful! Ironically enough... the one place I'd expect to see a decent fish sandwich, Long John Silver's, doesn't even have one... at least not where I live anyway!

If you're not into meat, at this point it seems like veggie burgers are preferable to fish. Is it just me? Does anyone actually like the Filet-O-Fish or similar sandwiches? I figure someone must be ordering them since practically every place has one on the menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It's that chopped, pressed fish. Go to Costco and buy a bag of "Ultimate Fishsticks" by Trident Seafoods and make your own sandwich. They are actually cut from filets with a light crust that seems like breadcrumbs, though I haven't read the bag to see. I haven't yet decided who makes the best tarter sauce but use cheddar, not American cheese and decent rolls.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,006,141 times
Actually, I like MCD's fishwich (whatever). It has gone up in price but still one of my favorites. I know what they use and it's ok.
Other places just don't try..

Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
I like it too...

(plus it gives you the recommended weekly dose of fat all at one time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Actually, I like MCD's fishwich (whatever). It has gone up in price but still one of my favorites. I know what they use and it's ok.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:

Actually McD fish sandwich seems to be the healthier choice nutrition wise.
I have to check on" what's in the fish"...

Read here about the nutrition:
Nutrition Facts and Analysis for McDonald's sandwich: Filet-O-Fish®

Good news: your fish filet contain fish!
The Filet-O-Fish (McD) is made from battered fish patty made mostly from Alaskan pollock and/or hoki (both of which, though not exactly seafood superstars, do qualify as actual fish), half a slice of processed cheese and 30g (1 oz.) of tartar sauce (made with dill relish and seasoning) on a steamed bun.
In fact: Most deep-fried fish sandwiches from chain restaurants-including Denny's, Long John Silver's, and most certainly McDonald's - use hoki, a pretty ugly, bug-eyed fish found deep in the waters around New Zealand.

But... maybe the real question ought to be: what else does the Filet-O-Fish contain besides the fish?
The caloric ratio of the sandwich is 46% fat, 39% carbs, and just 15% protein. Take another look at ingredients and you'll notice, in addition to the "foaming agent" dimethylpolysiloxane, modified corn starch, dextrose, cellulose gum, citric acid and several partially hydrogenated oils, which produce trans fat.

Other fast food places:

Wendy’s describes their sandwich as “hand-cut fillets of North Pacific cod in a crisp Panko crumb breading" but the source is a mystery.

Burger King’s nutrition facts cite “wild-caught Alaskan Pollock.†Alaska pollock is an MSC-certified fishery. Not bad!

KFC Fish Snacker: Alaskan Pollock fish fillet breaded and fried to golden perfection, then topped with tangy tartar sauce and served on a warm sesame seed bun.â€

Subway’s Tuna Sandwich: their ingredients list cites only “dolphin-safe tuna,†but further digging reveals Subway uses canned chunk-light tuna, which is mostly comprised of Albacore, Bigeye, Skipjack, and Yellowfin.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Amen. Still the best in the fast food business bar none.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:05 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
I am a huge HUGE fan of batter fried cod. I prefer just eating the fish, but recently have been sampling all of the sandwiches. Conclusion: you can't get a good fried cod sandwich other than in an expensive restaurant and even there some are as horrible as the worst fast food places.

Our local ribs place, Montgomery Inn is a well known place for ribs (which I cannot stand due to the fact that they are steamed or pressure cooked or whatnot), but has the best fried cod sandwich. The best fried cod is a take out in the hood named Alabama Fish. By far the best but no sandwich.

I say, give up on fast food fish. It will never be any good. Long John Silver is the best and it is still horrible.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 PM

38,901 posts, read 22,892,149 times
Quote:
Even though I haven't had one in a long time, I do like McDonald's Filet-O-Fish fish sandwich.

Around these parts, Jack in the Box comes out with their own version of a fish sandwich similar to what McDonald's serves, only it's bigger and in my opinion, more flavorful. The problem is, Jack in the Box's fish sandwiches are only available during Lent, to accommodate the large Catholic population here in the L.A. area. So in that sense, it's kind of like the McRib sandwich.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 AM

17,394 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
I'll admit it. I like 'em too...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM

393 posts, read 652,572 times
I have admit to loving the Filet o Fish from McDonalds also. And just to indulge I get extra tarter sauce. Lets just say it can get messy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink