Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times

Advertisements

Hey Goodpasture, maybe it's some new Okie company selling it because I've seen the expensive bacon drippings too. I too was somewhat shocked. I must admit, some things just need bacon grease added in. My mom used to put it in pancake batter instead of butter or oil. Really made good pancakes (about the only thing good she ever made!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 PM

515 posts, read 716,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
LOL Some of ya'll are sooo funny!

Do you know what they fry Krispy Kreme doughnuts in? Pure lard.

Being from SC, I use bacon grease to season everything from greens to cast iron skillets. I wrap bacon around everything from beef thru vegetables and chicken to shrimp, skewer it and put it on the grill.I make all my gravies and sauces with bacon grease (except for white sausage gravy for biscuits,of course). Jerky and sausage,especially deer, are better with bacon fat, and squirrel is so dry it fries up better in bacon fat.

Now that we have moved to the wilds of Nebraska, I not only get fresh or aged grass-fed Angus meat for $.99 a pound; every year I get a hog from a local farm, processed the way I ask, for $.99 a pound. The first year they looked at me funny when I asked for the backfat from the hogs. They gave it to me for free... I render my own lard from the backfat for everything from piecrusts and biscuits to my own fried yeast doughnuts....

Pig is good. I love cow, but pig is great!

I moved to where the food is!
I have my grandmother's cast iron skillets and I use nothing but bacon grease to season or re-season them! These skillets are in great shape to this day.

Two friends regularly give me their skillets to season for them even tho' I've told 'em exactly how to do it.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Bacon grease is great for seasoning beans and greens. I also use it to grease the skillet when I make cornbread. I rarely discard left over bacon grease.
The only thing that is better than rendered bacon grease is rendered beef fat (tallow). The mouth feel cannot be beat.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM

278 posts, read 550,632 times
trader joes bacon ends and pieces for only $3 a pound is the best bacon deal in the world.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-f...article_id=260

Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
And here I've been pouring my bacon fat down the garbage disposal!! WTH???

Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Expect drainage issues.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You've never had amazing popcorn til you've popped it in fresh bacon drippings. No salt, butter, or seasonings needed - just pop and eat.
This really is the best popcorn.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
How long is the bacon grease good for ? Is it necessary to store it in the fridge?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
How long is the bacon grease good for ? Is it necessary to store it in the fridge?
It keeps for a long time in the fridge. I used to save it for cooking because it really does add such a great flavor, but I quit doing it several years ago since it's not the most healthy thing to ingest. I sometimes still use it when I'm cooking a big family breakfast. After I cook the bacon, I will use some of the drippings/grease to cook hash browns and fry eggs. It tastes wonderful.

I wouldn't leave it out, I would think it would get rancid really quick.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
trader joes bacon ends and pieces for only $3 a pound is the best bacon deal in the world.

Trader Joe's
I see bacon ends and pieces everywhere, usually really cheap. I occasionally buy them to use as seasoning in things like beans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink