Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times

Advertisements

It seems like every time I make a sandwich (ham or otherwise) it never turns out that good. What am I doing wrong?

Does the type of bread matter? Or the type of ham?

About the only thing I can make that tastes good is bologna. Just simply bread, mayo, and bologna.

If anyone has any tips for making sandwiches at home, I would appreciate them. (Preferably without veggies.)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
It all starts with the bread for me. Some bread with heft..can't build a good sandwich with bad bread. I use good stuff, butter, Dijon, swiss cheese ( good stuff), fresh lettuce, fresh tomato, and I like Boars Head Honey ham, I sometimes add a few jarred jalepenos..

I can't wait for turkey sandwiches, I start with white bread, mayo, layer of cranberry, spoonful of stuffing, a few slices of turkey...yum!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:57 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Ham is deli sliced, on salt rye, yellow mustard, slice of cheese, dill pickle.

Ok, wife says I like watercress. Maybe a little watercress on there too.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Are you using leftover ham off the bone or ham from the deli/supermarket? If it's leftover ham, perhaps you are slicing it too thick. Ham is kind of chewy, so if you're biting into a slab it might not be that enjoyable. And if it's store-bought ham, could it be the brand? A lot of ham from the market is, in my opinion, awfully wet. And if you're buying a cheaper brand like Oscar Meyer, it just might not be very good quality. It might have more fat or salt or who-knows-what.

I like ham and baby swiss on Rosen's rye with mild mustard and green leaf lettuce. Or some really crisp iceberg.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:09 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,345,213 times
When i ate ham - i got it deli-sliced, and ask for it sliced THIN. I personally think the thinner, the better. (good, quality imported ham IMO, or Capacolla)

Then it depends on what type of breads you like, and if you like mayo or mustard. Or even some type of roll.

I used to love a good Kaiser roll with crunch on the outside, tiny bit of olive oil, and drape that thin ham on all the inside... and that's all i'd put!
(if you only have mayo, then a light coating of mayo)

Old 11-20-2011, 09:01 PM

197 posts, read 449,779 times
Whatever you do, keep it simple. That's honestly a HUGE thing when it comes to cooking/making sandwiches.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Honey ham thin sliced from the deli, miracle whip, swiss cheese on honey wheat bread - toasted in the oven.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:37 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Good white bread or a chewy baguette, thin sliced ham from the deli (savory, not honey sweet), and a nice slathering of Kerrygold butter.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I am a lonely dissenter in that I do not like my meat shaved paper-thin. It tears easily and I don't like to build a sandwich out of a lot of shreds. Slice it medium for me, please.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It seems like every time I make a sandwich (ham or otherwise) it never turns out that good. What am I doing wrong?

Does the type of bread matter? Or the type of ham?

About the only thing I can make that tastes good is bologna. Just simply bread, mayo, and bologna.

If anyone has any tips for making sandwiches at home, I would appreciate them. (Preferably without veggies.)

Thanks.
ok, without the veggies: 1-yes mayo is a must and hubby likes mustard as well (not me) the bread needs to be really good quality, not just plain ole white or cheap wheat and the ham: here is the secret, the ham you get packaged in the store is just pressed and really doesn't have much flavor, try and find ham on the bone in the deli.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink