Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I make a witches' brew for the stuffing. I saute diced onions and carrots in butter and broth, then add a selection of mushrooms. I use a lot of mushrooms but the bulk of them are finely diced so they do not even appear in the stuffing but bring great flavor. I slice a handful just for show. then I chop roasted, shelled chestnuts. Mix all with chicken broth, butter and bagged Pepperidge Farm and put in roasting pan. then I drizzle turkey juice, fat and all over the top, sprinkle butter chips on top, cover with foil and cook thoroughly. I like my stuffing a little soggy so I am strong on the chicken broth.
That sounds really good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
Ok I love carrots! I add them to everything! One year I did add them to my dressing....my family makes me promise every year I won't add them again. I do not like them glazed or sweetened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
That's how I like them too. No one else in the house does though, so we just don't bother with them on Thanksgiving.
For me, glazed carrots are cut lengthwise, the woody centers cut out (they taste bitter if you ever tried them), cut in bite sized pieces and saute in butter and a little water until soft, then add brown sugar until the whole thing starts to carmalize. Serve in bowl. I should have had them on the menu this year.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,243 times
I agree. For the last couple of years, my stuffing has turned out flavorless and mushy, despite using the same recipe my mom used for decades. The cubes are smaller and the seasoning seems to be not as flavorful. My family and I are so disappointed.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I bake my dressing in a pan the good ole Southern way. No boxed stuff for me!

Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
i save myself the trouble and use stove top and add on to it and wallah great stuffing and great taste .

Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Sorry I lost track of who said it, but I might try to find Fresh Market stuffing bread this year, since they recommended it.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I never bake in the bird, always do separate pans. Yes, pans...I always have to make double and triple batches...Cornbread, Onion, and Sage dressing is everyone's favorite side.
Mind sharing your recipe?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!2012 View Post
I agree. For the last couple of years, my stuffing has turned out flavorless and mushy, despite using the same recipe my mom used for decades. The cubes are smaller and the seasoning seems to be not as flavorful. My family and I are so disappointed.
I add celery and fried onions and chicken broth and I think the flavor has changed, too.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Nuts! I just bought two bags yesterday. I buy the cubes because the size and texture are perfect for my stuffing recipe, which uses diced celery and mushrooms and other goodies. If I dried and cut bread into small dice, I'd lose half of it in crumbs. I suppose I could cut it up and then dry it, though.

Now I wonder if I should try a different brand. I like knowing that one bag makes one recipe and not wondering how much bread makes 12 cups.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:11 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I went to buy the Fresh Market stuffing, but a teeny box was $4.95. I think I will use Pepperidge Farm, but use WAY more herbs and seasoning in it.
Up in Ohio, a bread company makes stuffing bread, which is loaves with sage and other herb already in it. If I could get this I would try it. I used to buy it all the time to make turkey sandwiches, which were fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink