Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 01:59 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,371,320 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize this until I was watching a segment on America's Test Kitchen. They were making a dish with shrimp. Well, while the dish was cooking the host started talking about just what is in the frozen shrimp we are buying... sodium tripolyphosphate. This is used to "plump" up the shrimp and keep it longer. This chemical is also used in cleaning products... like those used to clean your toilet. This may have been posted already.

This is pretty disgusting.
What
Is Shrimp Healthy For You? | The Casual Vegan

Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,371,320 times
also...
What

Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM

50,503 posts, read 64,425,260 times
I respect Cooks Illustrated a lot, but there are plenty of additives in our food that are harmless.
I always read about the origin of the seafood I buy, and as for shrimp, we try to buy local GA shrimp.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,261,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I didn't realize this until I was watching a segment on America's Test Kitchen. They were making a dish with shrimp. Well, while the dish was cooking the host started talking about just what is in the frozen shrimp we are buying... sodium tripolyphosphate. This is used to "plump" up the shrimp and keep it longer. This chemical is also used in cleaning products... like those used to clean your toilet. This may have been posted already.

This is pretty disgusting.
It's only disgusting if they are recycling the stuff, and putting it in the shrimp AFTER it is used to clean the toilet. There are a lot of multipurpose chemicals that can be used in many different ways, which does not by itself make them disgusting.

From Wiki:

STPP is a preservative for seafood, meats, poultry, and animal feeds.[5] It is common in food production as E number E451. In foods, STPP is used to retain moisture. Many governments regulate the quantities allowed in foods, as it can substantially increase the sale weight of seafood in particular. The United States Food and Drug Administration lists STPP as "generally recognized as safe."
Other uses (hundreds of thousands of tons/year) include "ceramics, leather tanning (as masking Agent and Synthetic Tanning Agent-SYNTAN), anticaking, setting retarders, flame retardants, paper, anticorrosion pigments, textiles, rubber manufacture, fermentation, antifreeze."

What you're saying is tantamount to saying that drinking out of plastic cups is "disgusting" because medical labs also use plastic cups to transport stool samples. What's the connection?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM

16,180 posts, read 32,600,861 times
Ok, this has gone south fast. Controversial threads go elsewhere on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink