Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I think it all stems from your upbringing rather than some biological urge.
I wholeheartedly agree! I know I posted a goofy remark earlier in this thread, but I grew up eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. I still eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and I do not eat meat everyday. I feel better doing things this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Chips are masculine?

I had no idea.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
It's a bunch of society-imposed BS. Same reason that some occupations are masculine or feminine. I believe these barriers are coming down, but not nearly enough. (I'll be dead and long gone before I can get a job as a Certified Bra Fitter and still be taken seriously! I'm Pissed!) <--- and yes, that is a real job, and a real certification. My wife was not amused when I told her that was my goal in life. :-D

Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
It's a bunch of society-imposed BS. Same reason that some occupations are masculine or feminine. I believe these barriers are coming down, but not nearly enough. (I'll be dead and long gone before I can get a job as a Certified Bra Fitter and still be taken seriously! I'm Pissed!) <--- and yes, that is a real job, and a real certification. My wife was not amused when I told her that was my goal in life. :-D
HAHAHAHAHA!!! That reminds me... My father-in-law, who lives in South Florida, told me about some guy recently who went around offering free breast exams, screening for cancer. The guy was... just a guy. He wasn't screening for anything!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!!! That reminds me... My father-in-law, who lives in South Florida, told me about some guy recently who went around offering free breast exams, screening for cancer. The guy was... just a guy. He wasn't screening for anything!
I remember that, it was all over the local news, lol
Some people will fall for anything.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:25 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
That might explain why I got such a bad reaction trying to pick up ladies in a bar in Florida. All I said is "Can I give you a Pabst Beer?" (Kidding, of course....)

Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
That might explain why I got such a bad reaction trying to pick up ladies in a bar in Florida. All I said is "Can I give you a Pabst Beer?" (Kidding, of course....)
That's HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Yes. Hubby loves it and he is definitely all man !

I always find it funny in the restaurant that the waiters always expect me to be having the fish and Hubby the "blue" steak. It is as though real women do not eat steak and certainly not almost still mooing...

I always hear that women are supposed to have a much sweeter tooth ( I don't) and that we would do almost anything for chocolate.... Unless it is very Dark and Bitter I am not that interested. And my craving is usually satisfed with one square every blue moon. Same with Ice Cream. Give me a Fillet Steak and some Wild Mushrooms instead.

Men are supposed to prefer hot spicy foods, BBQ, slabs of meat and detest salad. Men drink red wine and women white. It is all so silly to categorise people like that .

Women have yoghurt , men have cheese men don't eat greens , veggies of fruits etc... the whole thing is just ridiculous.

I think it all stems from your upbringing rather than some biological urge.
I don't get the whole women have more of a sweet-tooth. Who doesn't have a sweet-tooth? Have any studies been done. I think I'm not AS sweet-toothed as I was as a kid, which is probably better for my teeth, but I need my regular sweet fix. I LOVE good chocolate as much as any woman I'm sure.

I think it's probably more noticeable with drinks, actually...

Lattes, frappacinos are seen as female drinks. If you're a guy who likes that you're seen as flaky or even a little fruity. Men should drink their Joe dark and strong lol.

Fruit smoothies even maybe?

A lot of women don't seem to like beer or un-tempered spirits. Beer is a 'bloke's drink', as is drinking Jack straight.

Women are stereotyped as liking fruity mixed drinks...

And the big one, cocktails. All women are supposed to go ga-ga for cocktails while they're too colourful and 'pretty' for men. You'd be surprised how seriously people take these unspoken gender expectations.

Steak is seen as a more 'manly' food, of course...which is silly. While men did most of the hunting we're all omnivores with the same diet. In every species the male and female has the same diet. Unless you're talking about spiders where the female's diet is the male .

Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
It's quite obvious to me and I'm sure many people whether advertised or not, that people associate some foods with one gender or another.

For instance, wine, cheesecake, yogurt and chocolate is often spun as being feminine. Beer, BBQ foods, and chips are masculine etc.
Guess I'm mannish. Or maybe not...I like wine, cheesecake, and yogurt, too, but not chocolate. But I def. like beer, BBQ, and chips more than any of those things. Regardless of how stuff is marketed, I like salty, greasy, spicy flavors much more than sweet ones. No sweet tooth, here. I also live with a man who will eat more chocolate and candy than I ever will. I don't even put sugar in my coffee. My boyfriend won't drink anything that's not sweetened, though.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
One evening, sitting down to a supper with my political group, the only other woman in the group said, "There's nothing for us girls on this menu!" - no large salads, no yogurt-and-goat-cheese concoctions, just meat and fish, baked and fried this or that. I of course had already ordered - I wanted to try their Bourbon Street Steak, medium rare... (I'm partial to New Orleans-style flavor).
When my boyfriend and I eat out, servers are always mixing up our meals, because I guess it doesn't make sense to them that the woman is ordering the steak with mushrooms, loaded baked potato and a beer and the man is ordering a chicken sandwich or the fish and a Diet Coke. Whatever, bring me my steak, I'll eat it like a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink