Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:44 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times

Advertisements

I find Anthony Bourdain to be entertaining, but he's still a smart ass. I like Southern food, but I don't care for Paula Deen's personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:45 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I like them both.

Bourdain is adventurous, real, and challenges his conceptions and ideas at every opportunity. He's been in the crapper and pulled himself out, then is able to make jokes about himself.

Deen shows the world that people in the Southern US seem friendly but are generally overweight, bad at impulse control, gluttonous, ethnocentric, arrogant in assuming she speaks for all southern cooking, disdainful of anything higher brow then her, and that enough Americans think she is a role model they shovel money into her pockets while begging for more. Not every Southerner is like that, many are not, but she's the face many people see around the world and keep in their heads.

People have been telling her that her food would make people sick for as long as she has been on the air.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Anthony Bourdain, hands down. He's gruff, honest and have a love for dirty, sketchy, out of the way dives. A man after my own heart

Paula Deen just aggravates me, and she deserves to be slammed for promoting a 'food lifestyle' that ultimately gave her diabetes.
If you read medical literature - there is no certain connection between diet and diabetes. It can be a contributor, along with genes, and a few other factors.

Did Paula Deen's Own Cooking Give Her Diabetes? | Healthland | TIME.com

I can't watch too much of Paula because I get tired of how many times she says "y'all." But I have no inherent problem with her style of food. Some of it is just way too rich for me.

Bourdain is just an arrogant a**hole. I just don't like people like that. He is hardly the role model of healthy living.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think Bourdain is a jackass and I love southern cooking. I'm sure the whole "feud" is staged for publicity.
I love Anthony Bourdain and he has a very valid point.

I love southern cooking, too, but I'm not a Type 2 diabetic due to obesity.

I'm sure lots of people with high cholesterol love steak, but that doesn't mean it's OK for them to eat.

There is little doubt that her cooking/eating habits have negatively impacted her weight. There is also little doubt that her weight is at least part of the reason she's a Type 2 diabetic. There is also a lot of truth to the claim that, on her shows, she seems to revel in the fact that her cooking is horribly unhealthy.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Maybe when he becomes a paid spokesman for the Betty Ford Clinic and Lipitor?

Exactly.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
They are both excellent self-promoters who quite frankly, get quite irritating after a few programs.

Thank heavens the TV has an off switch and there are other options when their programs come on.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Paula Deen didn't get diabetes from the type of food she eats she got it from eating too much of it. That lady has some major portion control issues.

Paula make some wonderful down home Southern Comfort food.

Anthony Bourdain is an ******* that's exactly why I like him.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Hey I love food and drinking! Anthony Bourdain for me!

He's much more interesting. I like how he actually goes out into the world and meets up with locals to kick it and experience their culture.

While I love southern food, and her food looks bangin- Paula Deen's accent & enthusiasm just makes me uncomfortable...

His show makes me hungry for life- her show makes me hungry for butter.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I love both of them but Bourdain shouldn't be advising anybody on a healthy diet when you always see him with a ciggarette in his mouth and a beer in his hand 24/7!
This just in: Bourdain quit smoking several years ago.
Now we know you're watching re-runs.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Everyone knows Southern food isn't good for you. Paula Deen makes no claims that it is. I've seen Bourdain eat plenty of unhealthy stuff on his shows. I'm sure not everything he cooks his low-cal, low-cholesterol either. No one is forcing you to eat like Paul Deen. I enjoy No Reservations but it seems like Tony is just trying to stir up controversy. Fast food is much more to blame than home-cooked southern cuisine. Most overweight people are too lazy to boil an egg let alone cook a southern feast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink