Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
As a child I was presented with a plate of food that was 'dinner' and that was the only option too. We were never talked into eating veggies because they were never discussed as an issue. They were part of dinner and as such were just eaten. Sure there were some things I liked more than others and I usually ate them first but ultimately I ate what I was given. If I really didn't like something them Mum just didn't cook it for a while and came back to it weeks later but didn't make an issue. It was just on the plate. If I didn't eat it again after trying it that that was OK because there was enough other stuff I would eat.
^^^ This!!!
Little kids should not make any vital decisions or given too many choices.
You cook - they eat. No discussion about it. If you notice that they really dislike something, you try to cook it in a different way - to see if that makes them like it more. You might try and cook with your kids together, nothing wrong with it, and they might enjoy it, because they "cooked" it.
I never discussed food with the kids. If there was something I noticed they disliked, I would try to avoid cooking it, but I would not discuss choices except when I would see that particular food makes them feel sick or cause allergic reaction.
I don't think that kids are born with aversions to any particular food. They learn not to like some, because there is something wrong with the preparation, cooking or presentation ( too salty, too sweet, too hot, under-cooked etc.). Or they observe that adults are fussing about food and they think that's ok for them to fuss about it too.
Kids learn very fast how to manipulate parents, to make them do whatever they want. It starts with food and only gets worse...
Little kids became adults that are impossible to please...

Last edited by elnina; 01-30-2012 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 10:07 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
At my house you have a choice.....take it or leave it. I won't force you to eat anything, in fact I would rather you NOT eat something........just means more for me.

regarding those who don't eat veggies, if that is what they want to do why should I care one way or the other? I have had, on more than one occasion, people that don't eat veggies (which, like I said, fine with me) and when the veggies are done, they try it..........I did some steaks a few weeks ago, and while the steaks were grilling I grilled some asparagus and some portabellas stuffed with a mix of sausage and butternut squash (dice some squash, saute with butter and a little onion, mix in some crumbled breakfast sausage and fill the portabella, grill and top with grated cheese.) Funny how that died in the wool carnivore ate three of those things.................

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Let's rule out people on those silly diets...

And let's consider people over the age of 18...

Anyone surprisingly I've met a few adults now, mainly men, who state point blank they don't eat vegetables - at all. Except potatoes, of course, and maybe onions or perhaps lettuce in their burger. No surprise most are overweight and will probably suffer health problems. The reason? They don't like the taste. Maybe mamma never forced them to eat their greens.

I think people like that are immature...I'm sure they're pretty rare, I hope they're not more common than I think. I'm not bashing them, but I think it's a pretty immature attitude. I mean come on, most vegetables aren't like HORRIBLE to eat. Like lettuce doesn't have much taste, and tomatoes aren't bad. There's such a wide array of vegetables with different tastes and textures you're bound to find something you can tolerate. Done well veggies can be quite nice too.
Tomatoes are a fruit...though I realize many think of them as veggies.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Tomatoes are a fruit...though I realize many think of them as veggies.
Oh yeah I forgot that they are a fruit. We still treat them as veggies, though.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Quote:
So you were allowed whatever you wanted? Saying 'this is dinner, eat it or go hungry' is forcing, but I think that's what you meant.
Okay, lets define FORCED within this context, many children are given a plate full of whatever(the parent's idea of amount too) and told they MUST eat all of it or they sit there until they do, you will find most that hate things as adults grew up under those conditions.

I was never forced, "this is dinner eat as much or little as you want" is much different than "eat everything I give you or you sit there all night". Guess what, I ate everything offered; meat, potatoes, whatever veggies, salad if it was there, bread, etc.. Sure there are things I like more or less than others, but if it that is what dinner is I will eat it.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:18 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I work in a jr/sr. high school cafeteria. We always ask the students if they want the vegetables before putting them on the tray. That way the vegetables do not end up in the trash or garbage disposal. Maybe one out of ten kids will eat the steamed carrots or the brocolli. Some of the kids will eat salad (where they serve themselves). We offer the vegetables, but we cannot force the kids to eat them.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Well actually a lot of people having such poor eating habits impacts us on, the cost/availability of medical care, quality of life even clothes sizes. That's why the government here at least is so concerned with improving eating habits, encouraging exercise etc.

Actually, people with POOR health habits may actually cost less. After all, they'll drop dead MUCH SOONER.

For example, when my mother passed away at 57, she had NOT collected a single penny in social security payments (despite making contributions) and not collected a single penny in Medicare/Medicaid payments.

OTOH, my healthy aunt with the great lifestyle is 90, has collected social security for nearly 30 years, has resided in an Altzheimer facility at Medicare's expense for the past ten years after exhausting her meager assets.

Your attitude is why we need to fight the move toward government health care, a plan where everything is purely measured by the alleged "societal good."

Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I work in a jr/sr. high school cafeteria. We always ask the students if they want the vegetables before putting them on the tray. That way the vegetables do not end up in the trash or garbage disposal. Maybe one out of ten kids will eat the steamed carrots or the brocolli. Some of the kids will eat salad (where they serve themselves). We offer the vegetables, but we cannot force the kids to eat them.
Thirty years ago, school lunches were prepared by LOCAL lunch ladies and the school staff made at least some effort to introduce children to good food.

Since the feds have taken over in the 70s and 80s, the food is largely prepared OFF-SITE at a factory, shipped in to the schools where they are rethermalized.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:49 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
[quote=jlawrence01;22781570]Thirty years ago, school lunches were prepared by LOCAL lunch ladies and the school staff made at least some effort to introduce children to good food.

Since the feds have taken over in the 70s and 80s, the food is largely prepared OFF-SITE at a factory, shipped in to the schools where they are rethermalized.[/quote]

Not here - all food is prepared on premises, using our large mixers, ovens, and steamers. There are four cooks (of which I am one) and two bakers - ladies who mix and bake our school's homemade wheat sandwich and dinner rolls. Our stromboli is even made with our own school-made dough. This is a small town/rural school, and ALL of us "lunch ladies" are local! We serve the lunches, too, and we DO try to coax those kids into eating their vegetables.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-30-2012 at 11:57 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
It's mostly men who scoff at eating veggies because on a deeply subconscious level, the thought of eating some sissy green thingies sticking out of the ground is somehow a threat to their very notion of being the "rough 'n' tumble" hunter types. It's a damn joke. Other guys can continue to expand their waist sizes and turn into fatty fatty boombalatties for all I care, but mankind didn't get to the top of the food chain by sitting on their butts and turning into a bunch of Jabba the Hutts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink