Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:51 PM

61,698 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Did you know that “Multi Grain”, “Whole Grain”, “Whole Wheat” have no legal meaning? In some products there is twice as much white flour as whole wheat flour. And some companies even add coloring to give their products that beige whole wheat look, if they don’t contain much whole wheat.
Multigrain does not have to be healthy. It means only that the product contains multiple types of grain, but those could all be refined flour, not whole grains.
The FDA is apparently studying the issue since 1993!
http://abcn.ws/wIrSqY
http://abcn.ws/wOvAKI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 04:08 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Muchos Gracious Elnina!!

Whole Grains are not healthy to be eating either!!

Whole Grains: Not As Healthy As You Think

I try to avoid all grains if possible......... I liked the 1st article alot you posted and I thank you! (No they most certainly are not telling the truth and WONT if they are bringing in $$$$$$$$$$$)

Old 12-08-2016, 07:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
I prefer "No Grains" to "Whole Grains" as well for health reasons and I think this thread should probably be in the health and wellness forum.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you know that “Multi Grain”, “Whole Grain”, “Whole Wheat” have no legal meaning? In some products there is twice as much white flour as whole wheat flour. And some companies even add coloring to give their products that beige whole wheat look, if they don’t contain much whole wheat.
Multigrain does not have to be healthy. It means only that the product contains multiple types of grain, but those could all be refined flour, not whole grains.
The FDA is apparently studying the issue since 1993!
Companies Not Telling the Whole Truth About Whole Grains - ABC News
A Guide to Decoding Ingredients on Grain Products - ABC News
thanks for making us aware of this. Those of us who read the food forum all the time appreciate good, honest information. As for how much of what, I try to check ingredients as often as possible so I know what we are buying. With so many products on the market and so many fillers being used it isn't easy to make sure what we are eating anymore.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Exclamation *

Indeed........ Ya gotta read the ingredients ON EVERYTHING now!!!!!!!!

There are many things I look for and ACTIVELY AVOID!! (The hardest of all to avoid is GMO crap which doesnt taste as good and makes alot of ppl ill eating it (From stomach problems to digestion issues,etc))

Old 12-08-2016, 11:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I prefer "No Grains" to "Whole Grains" as well for health reasons and I think this thread should probably be in the health and wellness forum.
I disagree. Just by coincidence, this happens to be essential information for me today, and it would not have occurred to me to look anywhere else. Put this information in "health and wellness" if you like, but it should not be removed from "food and drink."

Last edited by jay5835; 12-08-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-08-2016, 06:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I'd like to point out that this thread is focused on prepared foods containing grain flours. Pilafs made from actual cereal grains like farro, barley, bulgur, millet, brown rice, oats, and quinoa are a different story. They are delicious, filling, and full of fiber. I consider them to be an important part of a nutritious diet.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:30 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I did know that labels are misleading. Now, I look for number of carbs, and the amount of protein, fiber and sugar. None of this matters unless it tastes good. My current favorite is thin sliced, Dave's Killer Breads. For me to pay $5. for a loaf of bread, it's good.

I tried to like Ezekiel Bread, but after a few slices, I can't choke it down.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:44 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Muchos Gracious Elnina!!

Whole Grains are not healthy to be eating either!!

Whole Grains: Not As Healthy As You Think

I try to avoid all grains if possible......... I liked the 1st article alot you posted and I thank you! (No they most certainly are not telling the truth and WONT if they are bringing in $$$$$$$$$$$)
That's a deceptive headline. Whole grains are good for you. But if your whole grain product has extraneous ingredients like sugars and refined grains, then--not so good for you. But this is not to say that whole grains per se aren't good for you. A ladle of brown rice on the dinner plate isn't "not as healthy as you think". It's fine.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I did know that labels are misleading. Now, I look for number of carbs, and the amount of protein, fiber and sugar. None of this matters unless it tastes good. My current favorite is thin sliced, Dave's Killer Breads. For me to pay $5. for a loaf of bread, it's good.

I tried to like Ezekiel Bread, but after a few slices, I can't choke it down.
There are a variety of Ezekiel breads. I like them, but there are plenty of alternatives. I also like the gluten-free rice breads that are made of brown rice or red rice. Probably some people wouldn't find them appealing (they're dense, a little heavy), but I like them fine. But I eat bread only as toast; I don't eat bread as a regular thing. You might try the Ezekiel breads as toast for breakfast. I don't think I'd be able to handle any of that stuff as sandwich bread.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-09-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink