Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 12:44 PM

1,141 posts, read 626,473 times

Advertisements

I think that good food is one of life's highest pleasures.

I'm curious in looking into other culinary delights that maybe I've been missing out on so would like to know:

What would you consider as the best food that you've ever had in your life so far?

I'll start:

3) Prime rib seared on a cast iron, finished in oven to medium / medium rare, served with a cremini mushroom sauce served on a bed of jasmine rice. Made by yours truly at home.

2) Smoked brisket. Very good quality brisket from a local butcher smoked in the backyard for over 8 hrs. Served on a chunky sesame bun with a bit of gravy. Made by one of my foody friends.

1) Rack of lamb. Seared and finished in oven to medium rare. Served on a bed of jasmine rice. Made by my brother's chef friend.

I have lots more, but figure that is my top 3.

Others make the short list include oxtail, freshly caught walleye (fish) lightly steamed, raw oysters, pho...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 01:11 PM

130,592 posts, read 12,156,539 times
Looking back over my life, some of the foods I have enjoyed the most have been very simple. One time, I had been on a long walk, & then I stopped at a relatives house, she made her own bread, jam & kept chickens, She gave me a soft boiled fresh egg, home made bread & jam, & it was marvellous.

My mothers roast dinners of lamb or beef were better than any restaurant we have been to.

Old 01-04-2024, 01:14 PM

19,826 posts, read 22,729,238 times
Chesapeake blue crabs steamed and doused with Old Bay, roasted bay oysters with hot sauce and copious amounts of cheap beer.

All on a wooden picnic table covered in newspaper, wooden mallets and bowls of melted butter and cider vinegar.

Heaven.

Last edited by Threerun; 01-04-2024 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-04-2024, 04:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
1. Back about 1986 another couple went with us to a very nice, expensive Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. It was a little over $100 for 4 without alcohol, which seemed a lot back then. The food was well worth it though, they had a Garlic Eggplant that was to die for, and I've never been a fan of eggplant.

2. Next is a restaurant at the John Wayne Marina in Sequim, WA where we have been a few times. I was blown away with their Crab Cakes. Those are quite common especially there, where the Dungeness is plentiful, but theirs were far better than any I have had before.

I have had an electric smoker for many years, in fact wore out one and got a fancier one a couple of years ago. When I cook ribs low and slow, with hickory chips the first 2 hours, it's like torture smelling the aroma while waiting for them to be done. My BBQ sauce took 5 years to perfect, as I tried to mimic the flavor of the sauce used by a family BBQ chain in Oakland, CA. (now defunct since the patriarch died and took the recipe with him).

Old 01-04-2024, 04:25 PM

25,607 posts, read 17,341,290 times
I'm not much of a foody. Don't like to each much and don't need variety.

I was violently ill once. Food poisoning from a truck stop, most likely. It lasted for days. I was hospitalized and given fluids as they tried (vainly) to stop the absurd loss of fluids.
Then it was over. I went home slept for nearly 20 hours, and when I woke up I had a craving for a ham and cheese sandwich. I can't tell you why, but I just had that craving....

Fortunately, we had the ingredients in the house and we made a BIG ham and cheese sandwich. Potato chips, too, which I almost never eat.
THAT was the best meal I ever had.

I know all the foodies are going to be amused, but I really don't like restaurants and try to stick to my basic diet of meat and eggs.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:32 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
My husband and I were able to take nice vacations to the Caribbean during the long Ohio winters. We went to a place called Sapphire Beach, and I’m not even sure where it was, maybe St Thomas. We stayed in a dated condo, but it faced the beach. Every night, we had a choice of walking up a hill to the left or to the right for dinner. We alternated. We had the most memorable meals, either way…beef Wellington, fresh fish….super good.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:52 PM

24,648 posts, read 10,980,030 times
Homemade mushroom tortellini with brown sage butter and bread crumbs.
Oven warm crusty bread, mountain range butter and cheese while it was still a farm production. https://gunzesrieder-bergkaese.de/
Perfect baked potatoe and the works at a truck stop in Nebraska.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:55 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I think that good food is one of life's highest pleasures.

I'm curious in looking into other culinary delights that maybe I've been missing out on so would like to know:

What would you consider as the best food that you've ever had in your life so far?

I'll start:

3) Prime rib seared on a cast iron, finished in oven to medium / medium rare, served with a cremini mushroom sauce served on a bed of jasmine rice. Made by yours truly at home.

2) Smoked brisket. Very good quality brisket from a local butcher smoked in the backyard for over 8 hrs. Served on a chunky sesame bun with a bit of gravy. Made by one of my foody friends.

1) Rack of lamb. Seared and finished in oven to medium rare. Served on a bed of jasmine rice. Made by my brother's chef friend.

I have lots more, but figure that is my top 3.

Others make the short list include oxtail, freshly caught walleye (fish) lightly steamed, raw oysters, pho...
Those walleye Friday fish fries in the Midwest were really, really good.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:30 PM

12,540 posts, read 9,625,539 times
I've been around for 64+ years and so I certainly can't remember them all. I think my most memorable meals though, have had good food, but weren't really distinguished by incredible food, but rather have either been due to the beautiful setting - like having seafood on the rugged coast of Maine in a peaceful natural setting, or were distinguished by the warmth of large family gatherings - like growing up and having Indonesian food cooked by my Mom and all the "aunts" (real and honorary) down in the Outer Banks of NC, with my brother, cousins, second-cousins and all the extra friends.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:41 PM

19,826 posts, read 22,729,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Those walleye Friday fish fries in the Midwest were really, really good.
I just iced 7 good sized walleye and sauger over the weekend. I love walleye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink