Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you look down on the type of behavior / nescience described in the post?
Yes, and I am even willing to call them out on it 17 23.61%
Yes, though I hold it inside 29 40.28%
No 24 33.33%
No, in fact I look down on "adventurous" eaters 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

5,871 posts, read 11,946,284 times

Advertisements

Only if affects me somehow. Went on a business trip with 4 other travelers. I wanted to scout out unique restaurants that offered something I couldn't get at home. We ended up eating at Olive Garden and Red Lobster because they were scared of the other places I suggested - and they weren't spicy, just flavorful! I don't care if they want to eat a bland diet when they're at home, but it was me who had to compromise to their tastes on the trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Some people eat at Olive Garden or Chili's in New York City, when they could just as well have it at home (and not pay a premium for the Times Square location). Some people will never even take a bite of something that "looks" foreign, yet they'll subsist off the dollar menu at McDonalds. Some people won't know of what you speak when you say "chicken tikka masala" or "pad thai" or even "curry" or "hummus".

My question is: do you, even though you try to resist, look down on this behavior, lack of knowledge, or lack of curiosity?
looking down of someone might be a little to strong, but I do have to wonder: 1-how were they raised not to be willing to enjoy flavors and 2-do they have any idea what they are missing: 3-oh yes, do they have a real reason for not being adventuresome of is it just an idea they can't shake?

Our grandson in law is one of those eaters: when he even orders a hamburger from sonic, it is hold the tomoatoes, extra slice of onion, pickle on the side, not too much mustard, etc. It drives us nuts. His favorite Mexican or comfort food: Taco Bell.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It is none of my business what other people eat.

It's none of yours, either.
you are right it isnt anyone's business, but we do have our opinions about people and their eating habits. If someone tries to force their ideas on me, thatt is wrong, if someone can't understand why I eat the way I do, that is ok and normal I will add.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,062,945 times
I don't look down on them... but when they come over for dinner I struggle to come up with something to serve that they may like. We usually end up grilling burgers, steaks, or hot dogs for those kinds of situations.

It's also not very fun eating out with them, because your choices are often limited.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:48 PM

725 posts, read 1,502,383 times
I don't care what other people want to eat but I generally try to steer them gently out of their comfort zone. It doesn't have to be exotic food, but I would rather go to some place interesting, especially when traveling. But if people want to go to a "boring" restaurant for a special event (or they're paying!) I will certainly not say no.

I agree with the other posters who have the "hold the blank, this on on the side, can I substitute xyz" people at the table. I feel like the server is going to give us all bad service based on the one difficult customer.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM

17,428 posts, read 16,602,825 times
I voted "No". I'm a pretty adventurous eater and I'll try most things once. But I do have some limits with what I'll try (bugs and grubs are a couple) and I respect the fact that others might have limits as well.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,202,013 times
It doesn't make me hate them or anything, but these types of people just tend to be unadventurous in general.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,473,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Some people eat at Olive Garden or Chili's in New York City, when they could just as well have it at home (and not pay a premium for the Times Square location). Some people will never even take a bite of something that "looks" foreign, yet they'll subsist off the dollar menu at McDonalds. Some people won't know of what you speak when you say "chicken tikka masala" or "pad thai" or even "curry" or "hummus".

My question is: do you, even though you try to resist, look down on this behavior, lack of knowledge, or lack of curiosity?
No. But I won't be having dinner with them either.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,458,745 times
I don't like people who feel they need to announce their disdain for a dish when they can simply demure. In that case, I'll speak up if it's rude. I can forgive a wince, but full-on bitter lemon face and pearl-clutching... I mean, we're adults, aren't we?

Obviously, I like food. But other people might not need to be culinarily adventurous when traveling, even though I think they're missing out on the travel experience. In fact, on long road trips like in a car or train, I have to eat a pretty bland diet or my stomach gets knotted. So food isn't everything when you travel.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Our grandson in law is one of those eaters: when he even orders a hamburger from sonic, it is hold the tomoatoes, extra slice of onion, pickle on the side, not too much mustard, etc. It drives us nuts.
Why would that drive you nuts? Don't ever invite me to go to Sonic with you.

Here's how I order a burger: No tomato, no lettuce, extra grilled onions, no mayo, easy on the mustard and ketchup (or easy on the sauce if I'm at In/Out), and the damn buns better be toasted/grilled.

Why order it with everything of I'm just going to remove the stuff I don't like? That's wasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink