Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you look down on the type of behavior / nescience described in the post?
Yes, and I am even willing to call them out on it 17 23.61%
Yes, though I hold it inside 29 40.28%
No 24 33.33%
No, in fact I look down on "adventurous" eaters 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times

Advertisements

I don't care unless I have to try to cook for them or eat out with them. My parents are so hard to please its unbelievable. They, especially my dad, are not ever willing to try anything new. He will instantly turn his nose up at anything new or unfamiliar. While at my house for a visit a couple of weeks ago, I cooked a nice meal. Nothing weird or foreign. He refused to eat what I had cooked. He told me he didn't like any of it, even though he had not even looked at it, much less tasted it. I chose these foods because they were foods I knew he ate, but I had not prepared them in a way he thought they should have been prepared. I cooked the majority of the meal on the grill rather than frying everything. I rarely fry. Instead he ate a leftover piece of chicken fried steak from a restaurant we'd eaten at the night before. We hate to go out to eat with them, because they have such a limited palate that its hard to ever find a place they like.

I can completely understand trying something and not liking it. I personally don't care for sushi. I've tried it, but I just don't care for it. What I don't understand is not even being willing to try something. The automatic assumption that you won't like it, is what I just don't get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I don't care unless I have to try to cook for them or eat out with them. My parents are so hard to please its unbelievable. They, especially my dad, are not ever willing to try anything new. He will instantly turn his nose up at anything new or unfamiliar. While at my house for a visit a couple of weeks ago, I cooked a nice meal. Nothing weird or foreign. He refused to eat what I had cooked. He told me he didn't like any of it, even though he had not even looked at it, much less tasted it. I chose these foods because they were foods I knew he ate, but I had not prepared them in a way he thought they should have been prepared. I cooked the majority of the meal on the grill rather than frying everything. I rarely fry. Instead he ate a leftover piece of chicken fried steak from a restaurant we'd eaten at the night before. We hate to go out to eat with them, because they have such a limited palate that its hard to ever find a place they like.

I can completely understand trying something and not liking it. I personally don't care for sushi. I've tried it, but I just don't care for it. What I don't understand is not even being willing to try something. The automatic assumption that you won't like it, is what I just don't get.

I completely agree. I think if someone tries something then they have earned the right to say they don't like it. If they simply go "eeeeeeeeew gross" because they think they won't like it then they are basically behaving like petulant toddlers.

Your parents sound like hard work ! I'm afraid I would find it almost impossible to remain pleasant and civil in that situation. I would have to bite my tongue really, really hard. I also think it is unbelievably rude to come to someone for dinner and turn up your nose at whatever your host/ess has worked hard to prepare for you. I might just about understand it if you were serving something really, really weird but chicken ?!?! Seriously ?

Parent or no Parent I would be tempted to tell them they will have to eat somewhere else. Or even better play the feed the baby "choo, choo train/aeroplane" game and make them realise how childish and rude they are being. Have you thought of getting a "naughty step" and a high chair with the word "Dad" on it ? And maybe a nice little bib with his name embroidered on it ?

I am sure your parents are perfectly sweet people but isn't it time they grew up and realised the world does not revolve around them and that in life we sometimes have to compromise ?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I completely agree. I think if someone tries something then they have earned the right to say they don't like it. If they simply go "eeeeeeeeew gross" because they think they won't like it then they are basically behaving like petulant toddlers.

Your parents sound like hard work ! I'm afraid I would find it almost impossible to remain pleasant and civil in that situation. I would have to bite my tongue really, really hard. I also think it is unbelievably rude to come to someone for dinner and turn up your nose at whatever your host/ess has worked hard to prepare for you. I might just about understand it if you were serving something really, really weird but chicken ?!?! Seriously ?

Parent or no Parent I would be tempted to tell them they will have to eat somewhere else. Or even better play the feed the baby "choo, choo train/aeroplane" game and make them realise how childish and rude they are being. Have you thought of getting a "naughty step" and a high chair with the word "Dad" on it ? And maybe a nice little bib with his name embroidered on it ?

I am sure your parents are perfectly sweet people but isn't it time they grew up and realised the world does not revolve around them and that in life we sometimes have to compromise ?
Almost bit it in half! LOL

Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
The question is a little confusing, it sounds like the OP is suggesting that people who won't eat spicy food prefer chain food? Well, I wouldn't eat at Olive Garden's, Chili's, or some ethnic restaurants. I'll eat at home, a friend's home, or a real restaurant with freshly prepared foods. A lot of ethnic foods I just don't like, same with other people, to each his own. Where I live most people think Olive Garden is a joke, my state is heavily Italian, and we are inundated with authentic Italian restaurants every 500 feet. There are only a few OG's here, mostly for the tourists. So yes, you'd get twitters if someone suggested Olive Garden. Personally I avoid chain restaurants for health factors, which is easy to do because our state doesn't have the glut of them like so many other states. But I'd only "look down" on someone if they tried to force me to eat at one. Then when I say "ewww", they are free to look down at me if they wish.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
That is soooo me! I HATE chain restaurants!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont look down on people because they have boring palates, but I dont see why they cant be more open minded about cuisine. It doesnt have to be super fancy or exotic.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Yes. I have stopped seeing women if they were boring, or even worse, picky eaters.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times
I do. Here's why:
Most of the people who say they "don't like" certain foods, have honestly, not ever tried them. Some will use the argument that they cannot eat spices becasue they "don't agree with them" I know this happens, and while I do have a cast-iron stomach myself, I bet many of those arguments are just excuses.
A lack of adventure with your food indicates a lack of adventure elsewhere.
Be bold, people! Try something new, and step away from the Big Mac. For the love of God.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I don't mind telling family members or close friends who choose to eat "Bizzare foods" that I think it's gross. The reason being is they will usually ask me if I want to taste it and I'll say eeewwww no! Gross! Then I get a strange look and they will tell me how good it is and how I am missing out on it. Like sushi for instance I tried it but did not like it and my husband wanted to know why. I have texture issues and to me it's mushy. For bland eaters I don't care because there may be a reason they are eating bland. I am considered a picky eater by my husband but I don't think I am. Just because I don't want to try tongue or liver does not make me picky.

But until you try tongue or liver, isn't it fair to say you are presumptous in that opinion?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
People can eat at Olive Garden and bland "Mexican" places until they explode. As long as I don't have to eat there, I'm fine with it.
Exactly. It's the same concept with wine. I have a friend who buys boxed wine. He refuses to even try good wine. I gave up. I just told him, "I leave you to your mediocrity."

Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You would do that to me ONCE and you would never be invited back.

If you don't like something, I am not going to offer it to you. But I don't need the sound effects and the "eww gross" comments on the food.

To each, their own.
Yes. There are some folks who simply are without tact or class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink