Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,938 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering as to the time when this trend started (last 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?). Things like butter chicken, tandoori, naan and paratha I'm guessing are starting to become "mainstream" at least in many of the larger towns/cities.

Of course, this has a lot of historical precedent (such as when sushi and Japanese cuisine became mainstream and associated with being hip in the US some time ago that I have a feeling might have been the 90s, and earlier on of course when say, Italian and Chinese cuisine became incorporated into American culture last century). So many cuisines break into the market or so to speak and then explode in popularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
AS more people from India started re-locating to America there became a demand for their ethnic dining. When we get exposed to different cultures, hopefully our eating habits are expanded. I will add, I don't think Indian food is as popular and maybe will never be as some other ethnic foods. It has such a distict flavor.

Nita

Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I'm just wondering as to the time when this trend started (last 5 years? 10 years? 15 years?). Things like butter chicken, tandoori, naan and paratha I'm guessing are starting to become "mainstream" at least in many of the larger towns/cities.

They've been around since the early Eighties or before.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They've been around since the early Eighties or before.
they have but not as well known as today. Before the turn of this century you pretty much only found them in diverse metro areas.

Nita

Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,063,502 times
There has been an Indian restaurant in the very un-diverse little Connecticut beach town where I grew up for almost 30 years. Great food, nice owners it's always busy. In the diverse Colorado mountain town I now live in there is no Indian food within a 2 hour radius.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
It got on the radar for me in the early '80s. By the mid '80s, it seemed Indian restaurants were springing up everywhere in NYC and DC.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
There has been an Indian restaurant in the very un-diverse little Connecticut beach town where I grew up for almost 30 years. Great food, nice owners it's always busy. In the diverse Colorado mountain town I now live in there is no Indian food within a 2 hour radius.
I think the secret word here is probably Connectuicut. Even if the little towns are not as diverse, the area is just being on the east coast.

Nita

Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
I have been a big fan of Indian cuisine since a trip to NYC in the 70s...

More restaurants now =

Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Duluth, Minnesota - which usually has been very late in accommodating foreign cuisine - had an Indian restaurant since 1999. My dad carpeted the restaurant and the owner gave them a few coupons for free buffets. My first time eating the cuisine was there was for my 18th birthday, and I absolutely fell in love. Pretty soon, every week my dad, my uncle (who also worked at the store), and I would eat at their buffet, while my mom watched the store. I eventually started getting take-out, which I found even better than the buffet food, and more suited to my increasing preference for heat.

Quickly I began to preach Indian food to the masses. I introduced it to my friends, a warehouse worker at the store and his wife, etc.

In 2006, another Indian restaurant came to town. It unwisely located one block away from the original Indian restaurant, and deliberately priced its dishes one dollar lower than the original restaurant. Keep in mind that the original Indian restaurant, while under its then owners being almost the best Indian restaurant I tried, was about the most expensive Indian restaurant I had ever seen. They were serving food at 2012 prices in 2004 (and interestingly, they haven't changed the prices on many of their menu items since then). So even the new one wasn't cheap, either.

The new Indian restaurant closed within about a year and a half of its opening, while the original Indian restaurant came under new ownership, and the quality of the food was less to my preferences. It was less spicy, for one thing. A "medium" under the old ownership was plenty hot enough; now, it was practically lacking heat. They've gone under one or two ownership changes since. The last time I was there they were ran by what appeared to be Himalayan or Nepali or Tibetan ownership.

As a side note, remember when Thai food was all the rage? That was more like the early 2000's. Ethiopian and Vietnamese seem to be the up-and-coming cuisines now.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Where have you been for the last 30 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink