Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What do you use for containers to freeze it? I was using rinsed/washed out quart milk jugs, but seems they make the frozen/defrosted milk "turn" faster -- at least I assume that's it. I was curious if powdered milk might be a solution so searched for it but, reading these comments, seems not!
I never had that problem. Are you using hot enough water to wash the jugs? Do you let them dry before using them? I can't think of anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 02:45 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
I use powdered milk for cooking and especially for baking...
I keep a small box of Carnation instant milk around for bread making. Many bread machine recipes call for two or three tablespoons of powdered milk.

The only other use for instant milk is to make a batch of instant hot chocolate mix. After you add the cocoa powder, you can't tell you're drinking instant milk.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I keep a small box of Carnation instant milk around for bread making. Many bread machine recipes call for two or three tablespoons of powdered milk.

The only other use for instant milk is to make a batch of instant hot chocolate mix. After you add the cocoa powder, you can't tell you're drinking instant milk.
Are you saying you make your own instant hot chocolate mix using powdered milk and cocoa powder or that you add powdered milk TO commercially prepared instant hot chocolate mix? But we digress...

Old 11-07-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I never had that problem. Are you using hot enough water to wash the jugs? Do you let them dry before using them? I can't think of anything else.
All I can think is that the plastic is somewhat porous and some milk leaches into it, souring over time. I've also had the reused quart milk containers spring a leak after having been frozen and thawed; they're not designed to last forever, I guess.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Powdered milk?.... hmmm... not if you have cholesterol issues. There are mixed opinions about oxysterols (oxidized cholesterol).
UHT milk might be a better choice ( shelf life 6-9 months ) no refrigerator needed.
Just curious, When did the OP of this thread pass away? I did not know until I looked and it said eternal member.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:14 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I recently found Hunter had passed away but don't know when. He was such a wealth of information about seafood. He is sorely missed. We don't use powdered milk. Haven't in many years now. Rarely is any kind of milk used now by myself and my wife uses little. Cooking I can tolerate it.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
as a kid there was this carnation powder.... it was awful unless we could mix some chocolate quick with it.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
All I can think is that the plastic is somewhat porous and some milk leaches into it, souring over time. I've also had the reused quart milk containers spring a leak after having been frozen and thawed; they're not designed to last forever, I guess.
You certainly can't use them indefinitely. I use half & half in coffee and use those jugs to freeze milk and other liquids. Since I drink coffee daily, none of the containers are very old.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Just curious, When did the OP of this thread pass away? I did not know until I looked and it said eternal member.
Jtur88 may not be walking this earth, either. He used to post often, and then one day...didn't.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You certainly can't use them indefinitely. I use half & half in coffee and use those jugs to freeze milk and other liquids. Since I drink coffee daily, none of the containers are very old.
I wonder if waxed/cardboard holds up better (or other plastic containers, such as juice comes in).

Sorry to hear about the OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink