Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I first had sushi somewhere in midtown Manhattan on a school field trip in 1970. My mother got POd because I was a picky eater, so how could it be that I'd eat raw fish?

There's a sushi case in nearly every supermarket in Pittsburgh, where I live now, so I'd say it's beyond trendy just about everywhere.

However, omakase is a hot thing here, probably 5-10 years behind the major cities. Gets people to try things beyond spicy tuna rolls.
Or thirty some years behind Scranton where I first had that experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Sushi is normal food, spaghetti is much more "exotic" around here than sushi. Sometimes they stir fry the spaghetti noodles and put chili on top instead of spaghetti sauce which might even make it more exotic. This is Hawaii, though, so as those Realtor people always say "it's all about location, location and location". Sushi everywhere, spaghetti, not so much.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
This thread gave me the final push to make my own. It was.....spectacular! I made spicy scallop makizushi, California rolls and crunchy rolls. I even cooked my own eel sauce. The spicy scallop was so easy to make, I don't even know why I've been paying so much for spicy scallop nigiri. I even bought a tub of masago to sprinkle on top. Shopping in the Japanese market was such fun, we even picked up some sake. The rice recipe I used turned out as good if not better than the best restaurants I have frequented.

If anyone is interested in trying their hand at sushi and want any of the recipes just let me know. It is NOT HARD! All these years of hearing about what special skills and secret rituals were required to make proper sushi-pff. I'll try to figure out how to post some photos I took some before we dug into our meal, for posterity.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Locally it would be considered trendy and exotic.

My local grocery store doesn't carry already prepared sushi, even if it did I still wouldn't buy it. Wouldn't eat raw fish from local supermarket either.

If I want vegan products, those are in supermarkets across town and considered trendy. Ultra conservative here

Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Or thirty some years behind Scranton where I first had that experience.
And yet they still can't make pizza there!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And yet they still can't make pizza there!
LOL! You're talking about Old Forge now. You can get a decent pizza over in mine subsidence territory. You just have to know where to go.

I had some world class sushi, sashimi in Fayetteville, NC in the late '80s and early '90s. The Japanese woman who owned the restaurant managed to reel in a couple of quite good sushi chefs. I used to ask her what I wanted to eat when I dined there - the guys didn't speak English.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:45 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Up until 2006, there was only one place to get sushi in the Duluth - Superior area, and it was an obscure bar on the Superior nightlife strip. The first sushi restaurant opened in a space that formerly held a burger joint and drive-through gyro place, adjoined to a gas station.

Now in 2012, the original sushi restaurant has expanded its operations to a downtown "shopping mall" and two additional restaurants have since opened, at least one targeting the "cool" element in town. Sushi is also served at a trendy "lounge", along with "flatbread".

So sushi seems to be the reserve of the "in crowd" in Duluth, or the sophisticated people. Many, especially those above 30 years of age or so, still think of it as bait or express repugnance at its very mention.

However, I have heard that there are places in this country where it is just another food, and it is long passe as far as "food trends" go. One area where this seems to be true is the L.A. area.

Is eating sushi still considered "cool" or "sophisticated" where you live?
I'm 70+ and eat sushi because I love it

I'm not cool or sophisticated

Old 10-28-2017, 03:17 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
It's everyday food here, and so is poke. Like Hotzcats says, spaghetti is more unusual and kind of gross here.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:45 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
I moved to Kula, HI when I was nineteen. I am old so we are talking '88. Sushi was extremely commonplace even then. I used to buy it at the convience store on my way to work almost everyday.
I loved it then and I love it now.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:22 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Depends where you live I suppose.

In some places maybe not many or any Japanese or Asian restaurants at all so it might be considered 'exotic.'

Also many places serve bastardized 'sushi' that are franken creations of the original, rolls that are deep fried every which way and stuffed with all kinds of odd ingredients. Not that I'm complaining, I like those junk sushi also, but not particularly authentic right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink