Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Margarine or butter?
Margarine 5 6.76%
Butter 55 74.32%
I'm not fussy/It doesn't matter 2 2.70%
It really depends on the application... 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW.. the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few
only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 AM

18,125 posts, read 11,759,576 times
I can't read this without my stomach turning but I do know BUTTER is
more healthy than margarine.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Butter Truth

The OP is not completely true. Liz

Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Ah yes, personally I'll stick with the butter! I just don't trust these artificial foods. Seems they just don't know what problems they can cause until 50 years down the road. Besides, butter tastes sooooo good!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Ah yes, personally I'll stick with the butter! I just don't trust these artificial foods. Seems they just don't know what problems they can cause until 50 years down the road. Besides, butter tastes sooooo good!
Well, THAT statement I will agree with, LOL. Liz

Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Butter all the way!! I won't even scimp and cook with margarine yuck!!

All though hubbie for what ever reason prefers the taste (what taste!!) of margarine.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:28 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,959 times
Butter for any kind of cooking - if needed, and margarine for spread.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:03 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,669,583 times
Been using butter for years, how can you get any flavor if you don't use butter? When I want spreads, I use Brummel and Brown Yogurt Spread. It tastes ok, but then curdles when you use it in cooking so I only use it on toast.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:04 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,524,514 times
Cut the Fat and Kill the Flavor

Margarine has a 'plastic' taste that
never leaves my mouth

Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM

And I only use unsalted butter. You know how much harder that is to find than SALTED??? Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink