Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:06 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont disagree with you about the quality of the stuff i listed but if you are poor and you gotta feed a family of 4 i dont see much in the way of healthy options if you only have $2 a day for food.
I think people don't think out their menu's before going to the store. My husband and I raised two boy's and there was a few years we only made around $9,000.00 a year. Not sure how we did it, we always eat pretty good even if it was beans. I'd say most people don't know how to prepare a meal cheaply.

Those meal's thank goodness NEVER included Ramen or Mac & Cheese. We do hunt so that has helped many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is a really good idea. Maybe I could print it off and hand it to her. Probably though, she is simply too lazy to cook. Seriously, what parent would spend money on cigarettes before buying food for her toddlers?
Sad too say, but many I've heard this so many times myself. Then you see they can afford wine/beer and anything else THEY desire.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,973,860 times
If I were really that broke, I'd for damn sure be hitting up a couple McDoubles from the dollar menu rather than go on a peasant starch regimen like a lot of you are recommending. At least I'd be full. And instead of cooking, I could be looking for a job.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakwing View Post
You didn't price out your food nor list serving sizes.

Mac and Cheese, Hamburger Helper (and generics) have a cost/carb/calorie density that is near unparallelled.

And rice.. Carbs and starches. "A" loaf of bread? Exactly how far will that go? just with simple day to day use my 2 girls will decimate 2 loaves of bread every 3rd day or so. Now if you're talking "Wonder" wheat bread or any other .99 loaf you may as well be feeding your kids sugar with a spoon. The same for most peanut butters.

Aside from the oats (plain oats are terrible) and the rice (filler) and beans.. What you listed isn't much better for you than junk food.

What "meals" will you make with those 3 ingredients? Bear in mind that you can have at least 6 (off the top of my head) different kinds of HH interspersed with your Mac and Cheese. Add some hot dogs for variety..

Truly good, healthy eating requires time, patience and much more money than eating junk.
I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing here. I'm saying that you can consume enough calories, protein, carbs, fat and vitamins to feel good at school and work and maintain a healthy weight on less than it costs to consume too many calories, carbs and fat on a more expensive, junk food based diet. In my post #38 I showed that you can eat a meal with real chicken, fresh vegetables and fruit for less than $1.50, which is more than you'd pay for a McDonald's meal which would probably have too many calories, carbs and fat.

What do you consider "truly good, healthy eating?"

Last edited by Marlow; 05-24-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Nothing wrong with rice,beans,lentils some days along with pasta noodles on other days...

A good meal is some beans, ham and yellow onion with some spices dropped into a slow cooker for 4-6 hours. Add some corn bread and you have a solid meal that is cheap and far below the calories of most "instant meals". Not only that, but you will have left overs for several days.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
If I were really that broke, I'd for damn sure be hitting up a couple McDoubles from the dollar menu rather than go on a peasant starch regimen like a lot of you are recommending. At least I'd be full. And instead of cooking, I could be looking for a job.
Wow, have you even bothered to look up was in those "Mc Doubles" you mention?

I mean, its your life, so suck down batter acid for all I care, but seriously, if you are going to make a "health" point, you had better know what the hell you are talking about.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's still not always cheaper. It still depends on what you are buying.
I totally agree. Also the COL is a factor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I do have to say that it IS more expensive for me to eat healthy (but I'm trying) as the pre-packaged food items can be stored longer whereas if healthy foods aren't eaten promptly, they spoil. As someone who utilizes mass transit and works up to 4 jobs at a time, I find it challenging to visit the market often to replenish my healthy foods (fruits, veggies, etc).
This.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing here. I'm saying that you can consume enough calories, protein, carbs, fat and vitamins to feel good at school and work and maintain a healthy weight on less than it costs to consume too many calories, carbs and fat on a more expensive, junk food based diet.

What do you consider "truly good, healthy eating?"

when you get down to the numbers, he will look stupid, so don't expect a serious answer.

Simple fact is, this issue is EXTREMELY political and there is an agenda behind it. There are several parties to it. There are those who are using it for control and power, those attempting to make money on it, and those who are ignorant following their party line that is programming them.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
A good meal is some beans, ham and yellow onion with some spices dropped into a slow cooker for 4-6 hours. Add some corn bread and you have a solid meal that is cheap and far below the calories of most "instant meals". Not only that, but you will have left overs for several days.
This was basically the diet of my childhood.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I did not realize that ham was healthy? Since when is pork considered healthy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink