Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

When my husband was a kid pizza was a treat. Maybe once a month and it was always regular plain pizza. He had no idea you could get toppings on pizza because his parents were too cheap to spend the extra $ on toppings. He did not have topping on Pizza until he was like 21.Now he loves all kinds of toppings on pizza especially anchovies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
wow, amazing it was a treat, maybe once a month: when my kids were growing up it was more like 2 or 3 times a year..Today, we eat it about every month or two. Yes, I think it is one food, like hamburgers almost all Americans love...One of our favorites when the kids were very young was to get English muffins, toast them and then let kids make their own pizzas. We would put out every kind of topping you can think of and watch the kids get creative. Because our kids didn't get much junk food and I do consider Pizza junk food, even though I love it; they thought Pizza was a huge treat. I know, without the greasy meats it really isn't any more of junk food than a hamburger, but it is the greasy meat the kids, particularly like.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Right after WWII, my parents moved into a suburb of Los Angeles where a lot of poor Italian people lived. Mom described to me how the grocery store on the corner would hang out a homemade sign on Fridays that said "Pizza Pie Tonight." Then they'd make crude tables out of sawhorses and boards, cover them with red and white checked tablecloths, and serve the fresh pies with red jug wine, made in the basement. It was the first time Mom had ever heard of pizza.

Not too long after that they went downtown to Chinatown and had some chop suey for the first time.

And today the American adaptations of pizza pie and "Chinese" food are very popular across the country, although the recipes now have little to do with the original Italian or Chinese foods that originally inspired them.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
There's a lot of folk here, too, who don't eat pizza ... especially avoiding the franchise chain joints where the take on Italian food is pretty poor stuff, fabricated to make a lot of money out of cheapest possible foods, mainly starches.

I've got friends who eat this stuff 2-3 times per week, and it looks so appetizing that I'd bet the sauce and toppings served on the cardboard box it comes in would be more flavorful and nutritious.

Not for me, thanks. There's so much more to Italian cuisine, so many more fresher foods and flavors than this stuff ....

Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
I know I've already stated my two cents about how much I love pizza, but I just wanted to say that I freakin' love pizza.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Right after WWII, my parents moved into a suburb of Los Angeles where a lot of poor Italian people lived. Mom described to me how the grocery store on the corner would hang out a homemade sign on Fridays that said "Pizza Pie Tonight." Then they'd make crude tables out of sawhorses and boards, cover them with red and white checked tablecloths, and serve the fresh pies with red jug wine, made in the basement. It was the first time Mom had ever heard of pizza.

Not too long after that they went downtown to Chinatown and had some chop suey for the first time.

And today the American adaptations of pizza pie and "Chinese" food are very popular across the country, although the recipes now have little to do with the original Italian or Chinese foods that originally inspired them.
and very different from my childhood as well.I don't even remember Pizza in L.A quite that long ago, I think the first time we heard of it was about 1950 and yes, it was called Pizza Pie. I am guessing your mom and dad were living, maybe in Lincoln Heights or Boyle Heights...One of the boys in our 5th grade class came to Los Angeles dirct from Italy. His mom and dad spoke no English but opened a small Italian Restaurant in Eagle Rock, which is where we lived. They did not serve Pizza..As for something like Chop Suey, I would agree with your mom there as ell, and you don't see it much now either. Yes, our modern ideas on foods have changed so much. The Pizza we love today would probably not have a place in Italy..This is true with many Mexican dishes as well, again remembering back to the 50s and the Mexican restaurants we had.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I've yet to meet someone who doesn't like pizza and well..it's been over a span of several decades.
Favorite in our house too tho we don't get it every week.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the first time we heard of it was about 1950 and yes, it was called Pizza Pie. I am guessing your mom and dad were living, maybe in Lincoln Heights or Boyle Heights...
Mom's story is from 1946 or 47, and it was Pacoima, northwest of Burbank.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Mom's story is from 1946 or 47, and it was Pacoima, northwest of Burbank.
I think of that area as being pretty much the beginning of the Valley. I bet ethnic restaurants of every kind are now in that area..but probably,primarily Mexican.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I can. Cold pizza in the morning is the best. I love pizza lol.
Lol, that so true!! I like eating cold pizza for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink