Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Order them with no salt. They understand some people have to watch their salt intake. They'll will fry up a new batch, just for you. Which reminds me, I used to have a friend who hated onions. Despised miight be a better word. Anyway, he told me that sometimes when he ordered a sandwich that had onions on it, with no onion, they'd just scrape off the onion off a pre-made sandwich and he could still taste it. So, this is what he did.

He tells the person taking the order that he's allergic to onions. Said he got fresh sandwiches every time after that. I know that may not work for every sandwich, but it was an interesting way of solving his problem. This would probably work for most dishes though. Identify one ingredient and say you're allerigc to it. Voila, freshly cooked food. (Of course, you'd have to lie.)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
He tells the person taking the order that he's allergic to onions. Said he got fresh sandwiches every time after that. I know that may not work for every sandwich, but it was an interesting way of solving his problem. This would probably work for most dishes though. Identify one ingredient and say you're allerigc to it. Voila, freshly cooked food. (Of course, you'd have to lie.)

I have heard people say that they will tell the employee taking the order that they are allergic to tomatoes so they can't have ketchup, and they will get a fresh sandwich every time.

However, the deception would bother me. I wouldn't be able to lie just to get a fresh sandwich. I guess to me integrity is worth more than the price of a fast food sandwich........

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Order them with no salt. They understand some people have to watch their salt intake. They'll will fry up a new batch, just for you. Which reminds me, I used to have a friend who hated onions. Despised miight be a better word. Anyway, he told me that sometimes when he ordered a sandwich that had onions on it, with no onion, they'd just scrape off the onion off a pre-made sandwich and he could still taste it. So, this is what he did.

I dislike onions. I simply say "no onions, please" and they almost always make a fresh sandwich for me. I never lie and say "I'm allergic" because that would be like the boy who cried wolf. I figure that soon they would get tired of all of the "fake allergies" and maybe someone who had a real allergy would be get something dangerous to their health.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
However, the deception would bother me. I wouldn't be able to lie just to get a fresh sandwich. I guess to me integrity is worth more than the price of a fast food sandwich........
Yeah, I just tell 'em, "I can wait for you to make a fresh one." and I've never had a problem getting a fresh one. Been almost 20 years since I knew that guy. I've seen him order like that before, though.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
What fast food places pre-cook? Admittedly I don't go often but when I've been in Wendy's, McDonalds and the rare Burger King they always seem to cook them up right then.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What fast food places pre-cook? Admittedly I don't go often but when I've been in Wendy's, McDonalds and the rare Burger King they always seem to cook them up right then.
Seriously? They all do. They couldn't offer fast-food service if they didn't.

What may have you confused is that they use several methods to pre-cook:

1) Predictive cooking... they know from projections that they will need an average of 12 hamburgers at noon, say, and that the burgers take 10 minutes to prepare. So at 11:50 they start cooking 12 burgers, before you even walk in the door.

You may not remember, but when McDonalds revolutionized food service, they used to have the sandwiches pre-made, in racks at the front, under heatlamps. When you ordered, your server just grabbed your sandwich from the holding rack. That was fast, but the food quality would suffer if it was held too long before you ordered. And consumer tastes changed, and customers started expecting fresher food, so they invented a new way to do it:

2)Cook and hold. Now instead of making up complete sandwiches in advance, the meat is cooked in advance and held until you order, then the sandwich is quickly assembled and your order delivered. That's why the racks up front for pre-cooked sandwiches were removed.

If you place an order and it takes maybe 6 - 8 minutes or longer for your order to come up... an eternity in fast-food terms... they're probably cooking it to order. But if you get your order in a minute or two... well, they just could not have cooked it that fast, so they had to have started without you.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM

I remember your #2. From a business standpoint #1 makes sense (no matter what Gordon Ramsey does at his places). I always seem to have to wait, of course the McDonalds near where I live have to be the slowest in the US.

You can watch them make french fries and put them in your bag.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
What kind of weird fast food place do u go to that doesn't cook a new batch of fries at least every 20 minutes? About half the people who go to those places order fries, they go quickly. Any time I go to any fast food place, they never have a sandwich already sitting on the rack, even if i order something popular like a McDouble. Maybe a rural thing lol

Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We have a Wal-Mart that has a McDonald's inside. They pre-cook their meat patties and place them in a plastic drawer .... I have watched this, they pull out the drawer, grab a meat patty and throw it on the grill ... flip it over and onto the bun.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 AM

A McDonalds inside a Wal-Mart? Good thing this isn't one of the more popular Forums or the anti-Wal-Mart and anti-McDonalds crazies would be swarming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink