Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

I think it is a question of balance personally. I see nothing wrong with butter in moderation. If you drench your food in it and cook with cream every single day then the likelihood is that your health will suffer and your weight will go up.

Even exercise is not going to undo the damage of living on purely fatty foods and processed crap.

I gained a lot of weight because of spending over 10 years on high doses of steroid as cancer treatment and despite what I consider a healthy diet I am still finding it impossible to shift the weight.

I had managed to lose almost 40 pounds and it had taken me over two years of blood and sweat then the Doctors prescribed me with some new drugs and back on it went. I have always tried to eat sensibly and heathily ( though people looking at me think I live on cream buns and fast foods which drives me nuts) and it is the best I can do.

I think unless you have specific medical conditions nothing in itself is dangerous or bad for you though. A little of anything is fine.

I eat a lot less meat than most omnivores I know because I prefer to spend more for better quality and more humane animal husbandry, I love fish and grill rather than fry, I love fruits and veggies ( pretty much all of them) and eat them every day and I steam a lot. I use Olive Oil rather than butter for most dishes, use little cream except for very special recipes ( I have found a really nice low fat yoghurt which does the job of cream in curries for example , does not work in French food though !) . I love Salads and in summer will have one probably every couple of days.

I don't feel deprived because if I really feel like it then will treat myself to a bowl of dark chocolate and rosemary ice cream ( which is relatively low fat compared to other ice creams). I can have one square of chocolate ( dark and bitter) every day and know I will not feel the desire to eat the whole bar. I avoid cheeses because I know I find it addictive ! So I will treat myself to the best once in a blue moon instead and ignore the craving the rest of the time.

Not all low fat products are awful tasting. My lovely local supermarket makes really nice tasting low calorie/fat ready meals and they are not full of additives, colourings etc.. and not super processed ( I always read the label very carefully). They have minimal ingredients and simply use little fat adding more taste with spices and herbs for example.

Some dishes can never be as nice being cooked using low fat ingredients but on the whole I think it is pretty easy to have a nice, balanced and healthy diet of fresh and tasty foods.

You don't have to live on raw celery, low fat cottage cheese and iceberg lettuce to eat well. A Mediterranean diet for example is not a bad way to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I think it is a question of balance personally. I see nothing wrong with butter in moderation. If you drench your food in it and cook with cream every single day then the likelihood is that your health will suffer and your weight will go up.

Even exercise is not going to undo the damage of living on purely fatty foods and processed crap.

I gained a lot of weight because of spending over 10 years on high doses of steroid as cancer treatment and despite what I consider a healthy diet I am still finding it impossible to shift the weight.

I had managed to lose almost 40 pounds and it had taken me over two years of blood and sweat then the Doctors prescribed me with some new drugs and back on it went. I have always tried to eat sensibly and heathily ( though people looking at me think I live on cream buns and fast foods which drives me nuts) and it is the best I can do.

I think unless you have specific medical conditions nothing in itself is dangerous or bad for you though. A little of anything is fine.

I eat a lot less meat than most omnivores I know because I prefer to spend more for better quality and more humane animal husbandry, I love fish and grill rather than fry, I love fruits and veggies ( pretty much all of them) and eat them every day and I steam a lot. I use Olive Oil rather than butter for most dishes, use little cream except for very special recipes ( I have found a really nice low fat yoghurt which does the job of cream in curries for example , does not work in French food though !) . I love Salads and in summer will have one probably every couple of days.

I don't feel deprived because if I really feel like it then will treat myself to a bowl of dark chocolate and rosemary ice cream ( which is relatively low fat compared to other ice creams). I can have one square of chocolate ( dark and bitter) every day and know I will not feel the desire to eat the whole bar. I avoid cheeses because I know I find it addictive ! So I will treat myself to the best once in a blue moon instead and ignore the craving the rest of the time.

Not all low fat products are awful tasting. My lovely local supermarket makes really nice tasting low calorie/fat ready meals and they are not full of additives, colourings etc.. and not super processed ( I always read the label very carefully). They have minimal ingredients and simply use little fat adding more taste with spices and herbs for example.

Some dishes can never be as nice being cooked using low fat ingredients but on the whole I think it is pretty easy to have a nice, balanced and healthy diet of fresh and tasty foods.

You don't have to live on raw celery, low fat cottage cheese and iceberg lettuce to eat well. A Mediterranean diet for example is not a bad way to eat.
and Mediterranean diets are pretty darn tasty. I think the secret always is moderation, whether we are talking meats, butter, cream, alcohol, and even veggies...It is more the amount we eat than the foods we eat that affects our weight and health.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
My mother during the Depression used to get "bluejohn" - the milk after all of the fat, cream, etc had been strained from it. It is now called "1%" milk in the stores. I can't believe people actually BUY that stuff. Why not just put water on your cereal?

I've said it before - DH and I moved to the farm and started raising our own. We eat butter, cook with lard (rendered down from pig fat), eat our own chickens and eggs, have our own fresh produce and can it, make our own bread, eat our own beef with the fat attached. We are healthier now than we have ever been. 2 years ago we had a scare - DH started having swelling (pitting edema) in his legs, and was taken to a cardiologist. The cardiologist insisted that it was all of the fatty foods we were eating, and that DH needed a stint. He opened him up - and closed him back up. He came into the waiting room shaking his head. "Those veins and arteries are clean as a whistle! I can't put a stint in - he has the heart and circulatory system of a 20-year-old!" Turned out it was all a reaction to his medication...

I don't know where he got the 20-year-old heart from, but he won't give it back. Stubborn old goat.

Sorry, kids - but what will kill you is the overprocessed and prechewed foods, not the wholesome and natural stuff, with all of its eeevil cholesterol and fat. Now, of course raising your own food takes a lot of physical effort, develops muscle, not fat, and keeps you from being sedentary.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Cut out sugar and other simple carbs as much as possible and it won't really matter what else you eat. Eating more fat will actually cause you to eat fewer calories. Low fat is a major reason people are eating too many calories.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times
Look, if I'm going to eat something unhealthy, I'm going to enjoy it dammit. I'm not going to be half-assing it. I go all out or nothing, lol.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you look at many "fat free" products, you will find that they are filled with sugar in an effort to make them taste palatable.
I saw some fat free chocolate cookies one time that had more calories than the Chips Ahoy! they were sitting next to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink