Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Do you use it interchangeably with regular milk? How do you use it? What is the taste difference, texture?
I use fat-free evaporated milk as a substitute for milk or cream in cooking. One of the recipes I use it in is a tasty creamy and spicy chicken cajun pasta from Cooking Light magazine. Here's a link with the recipe:ISO: Cajun Chicken Pasta [Archive] - CookingLight.com Community

To me it's sweeter and creamier, even when fat-free, than regular 2% or skim milk. Once you open the can whatever is unused should be refrigerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I use fat-free evaporated milk as a substitute for milk or cream in cooking. One of the recipes I use it in is a tasty creamy and spicy chicken cajun pasta from Cooking Light magazine. Here's a link with the recipe:ISO: Cajun Chicken Pasta [Archive] - CookingLight.com Community

To me it's sweeter and creamier, even when fat-free, than regular 2% or skim milk. Once you open the can whatever is unused should be refrigerated.

Thank you for posting this! I looked at the link and it sounds delicious. I will certainly hang onto this recipe.

I really enjoy Cajun food, although I don't cook it that often. Also, I like the Cooking Light recipes. Thanks again!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
It is an absolute MUST for me when making mac n cheese and mashed potatoes.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
I use canned milk to make whip cream for Strawberry Shortcake. You just add lemon juice and sugar and it whips into beautiful peaks.

Long ago when I was in a teens doing any babysitting it was used for baby formula. Carnation or Pet canned milk and you added water. If there was a problem with constipation you could add white Karo syrup. Pour the mixture in the glass bottles, nipples down, tops and lids on loose and place the bottles in the metal pot sterilizer filled with water and on to your stove to boil the concoction. This was before Enfamil and other prepared formula days. It was canned milk or breast milk back then.

My husband's family always used canned milk in their coffee.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I use canned milk to make whip cream for Strawberry Shortcake. You just add lemon juice and sugar and it whips into beautiful peaks.

Long ago when I was in a teens doing any babysitting it was used for baby formula. Carnation or Pet canned milk and you added water. If there was a problem with constipation you could add white Karo syrup. Pour the mixture in the glass bottles, nipples down, tops and lids on loose and place the bottles in the metal pot sterilizer filled with water and on to your stove to boil the concoction. This was before Enfamil and other prepared formula days. It was canned milk or breast milk back then.

My husband's family always used canned milk in their coffee.

A few years ago when I was really into couponing I had several cans of evaporated milk in my buggy. An older lady I knew walked by, looked into the buggy and said, "what baby are you feeding? I didn't know you had a baby around."

Old 12-02-2016, 11:50 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times
Default what is the purpose of evaporated milk?

why not just milk? Also, I am curious to know if evaporated milk has the same nutritional quality as liquid milk.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:55 AM

12,284 posts, read 2,968,089 times
It intensifies the flavor and reduces water so it's easier, therefore less expensive to ship? The last may have been a reason in the past.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Shelf stability.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
For some, it can take the place of cream in recipes. For example, some will use evaporated milk in a chicken/turkey pot pie recipe instead of cream. I've eaten these pot pies, and they're every bit as satisfying as those containing cream.

It's also great in a cuppa or poured over fruit cocktail.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My southern relatives use it instead of cream in coffee, but I'd much prefer cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink