Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of the gloppy concotion called "Sweet and sour (insert meat of choice) that has been the staple of "Chinamerican" restaurants for many years! We need to bring back the dish as it was originally created - but what was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
So you don't know what the dish was yet you want to "take it back"? Color me confused. Also, you may not know this but dishes evolve and don't always stay the same. It'd be pretty boring if they did.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
So you don't know what the dish was yet you want to "take it back"? Color me confused. Also, you may not know this but dishes evolve and don't always stay the same. It'd be pretty boring if they did.
I assumed that with the desire to simplify the food for American palates, the original idea has been lost.

I found this on Wikipedia:

Sweet and sour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
The "real" sweet and sour pork that I grew up with is very similar to this. Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe It is not overly sweet or thick like you see in most Chinese-American places. The key is having nice and crunchy bits of pork with the bone. It should be a wonderful balance of the sweet and sour along with lightly coated pork (not battered).

Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
The "real" sweet and sour pork that I grew up with is very similar to this. Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe It is not overly sweet or thick like you see in most Chinese-American places. The key is having nice and crunchy bits of pork with the bone. It should be a wonderful balance of the sweet and sour along with lightly coated pork (not battered).
I'll try this. My version is very pared down and I use fish sauce. I know it's important to get crispness on the pork, but I tend to pan fry rather than deep fry because it's less of a hassle. I agree lots of restaurant sweet and sour leans more to the sweet side, and it's gloppy. I don't add a cornstarch slurry for that reason. I notice this recipe doesn't either.

What, though, is the purpose of the custard powder in the dredge mix?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
What, though, is the purpose of the custard powder in the dredge mix?
Hmmm...I had to Google custard powder. What is custard powder? « Baking Bites I don't remember my father ever using this in his recipe. From reading the description, I would think that you could easily omit it from the recipe.

Whole sweet and sour red snapper is popular too.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
I remember it having a reddish color and had green peppers, pineapples, onions, and cherries in it with a tempura battered pork.

Now it has the pork and sauce.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:12 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Hmmm...I had to Google custard powder. What is custard powder? « Baking Bites I don't remember my father ever using this in his recipe. From reading the description, I would think that you could easily omit it from the recipe.

Whole sweet and sour red snapper is popular too.
Maybe it's to give the coating more body. Though the pork is already marinated in egg and dredged in corn starch/flour. Yeah, I don't like the thick, heavy fried coating. Omitted! I use lychee instead of pineapple and adjust the sharpness with vinegar. I do have pineapple vinegar too.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I remember it having a reddish color and had green peppers, pineapples, onions, and cherries in it with a tempura battered pork.

Now it has the pork and sauce.
It's interesting to see that most of what you remember... green peppers, pineapples, and cherries... are nowhere to be found in the recipe George Chong said was authentic to Chinese cooking.

That's one of the dilemmas about discussing Chinese food in the US, that few of us have ever tasted authentic Chinese food. We only know a very loose adaptation of the traditional Chinese styles and recipes, localized to American tastes and sensibilities and available foods. It's called "Chinese" but it really isn't. When my mother took one of the first tourist tours through Beijing, she later remarked that for two weeks in China she had amazing food, some that she found delicious and some... otherwise. But not one single bit of it was recognizable as anything she had ever seen in a "Chinese" restaurant in the U.S.

My personal favorite Chinese restaurants are the places where people of Chinese heritage go to eat. No offense meant, just an ironic observation that I never see pineapple or green peppers or cherries in the dishes served in those places.

Maybe we need a new designation for this "not really" cuisine, this "more American than not" food style which is so popular and ubiquitous in the U.S.... Chinese-ish?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's interesting to see that most of what you remember... green peppers, pineapples, and cherries... are nowhere to be found in the recipe George Chong said was authentic to Chinese cooking.

That's one of the dilemmas about discussing Chinese food in the US, that few of us have ever tasted authentic Chinese food. We only know a very loose adaptation of the traditional Chinese styles and recipes, localized to American tastes and sensibilities and available foods. It's called "Chinese" but it really isn't. When my mother took one of the first tourist tours through Beijing, she later remarked that for two weeks in China she had amazing food, some that she found delicious and some... otherwise. But not one single bit of it was recognizable as anything she had ever seen in a "Chinese" restaurant in the U.S.

My personal favorite Chinese restaurants are the places where people of Chinese heritage go to eat. No offense meant, just an ironic observation that I never see pineapple or green peppers or cherries in the dishes served in those places.

Maybe we need a new designation for this "not really" cuisine, this "more American than not" food style which is so popular and ubiquitous in the U.S.... Chinese-ish?
It may be interesting, but it is what I had 30 years ago from Chinese restaurants as compared to what I have had recently. I really don't think there is a dilemma in discussing Chinese food in the US.

I actually do feel there was offense meant, and I really don't care. I didn't cook the food, I only said what I had in it many years ago.

When you post like this, it comes off as a snub-nosed, know it all way.

I probably just made my coffee wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink