Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 02:02 PM

32,930 posts, read 36,335,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know. Yuck. But as someone mentioned upthread, mayo is a bigger thing in the south. I was horrified when I was in South Carolina and got a burger and it came with mayonnaise on it. They didn't even ask, so I think it must be normal to them. I couldn't eat it. All warm and runny. My throat is closing up at the memory, lol.
I used to feel that way about the special sauce on a Whopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 04:47 PM

1,371 posts, read 667,420 times
My mom used to put together pineapple chunks, grated American cheese wirh a dollop of mayo when I was a kid. I still make it once in a while. It works together.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:49 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
My mom used to put together pineapple chunks, grated American cheese wirh a dollop of mayo when I was a kid. I still make it once in a while. It works together.
We make a pear salad the same way, canned pear halves, grated cheese and a dab of mayo. Very good.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txaquarius View Post
Has anyone ever had this or heard of it? My mom used to make it when I was a kid and I love it!! Anytime I've ever mentioned it or made it though, no one has ever heard of it and also thinks I am crazy. I'm just curious if others have made it, tried it, heard of it. It is delicious.
As a kid, I had this very often - my mom would make it and it was also a staple of "potluck dinners." I am from the south for what that's worth.

I loved it - it's a great flavor combo. I always preferred it with just a little dab of mayo and plenty of shredded cheese!

Old 11-10-2018, 06:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know. Yuck. But as someone mentioned upthread, mayo is a bigger thing in the south. I was horrified when I was in South Carolina and got a burger and it came with mayonnaise on it. They didn't even ask, so I think it must be normal to them. I couldn't eat it. All warm and runny. My throat is closing up at the memory, lol.
Right - and this southern girl can't stomach a burger with mustard instead of mayo!

To each his or her own I guess. I want my burgers loaded with everything, add mayo. YUM.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Very southern. The school cafeteria would serve this on special occasions and we thought we had an awsome treat. It's a way to make something special put of nothing.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:39 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
When I was a kid fresh fruit in the winter was scarce. Apples, oranges and bananas were about it. Once in a while we'd get green grapes. During a long MN winter that gets old after a while.

Mom made this pear salad sometimes, too, and she never lived south of northern Iowa. Sometimes she'd mix a little maraschino juice from the cherries into the mayonnaise.

Every now and then I mix up a package of Jello with canned fruit and DH devours it. Wouldn't want to eat it often but it's a taste from our childhoods.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I would not be able to eat that.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:38 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - and this southern girl can't stomach a burger with mustard instead of mayo!

To each his or her own I guess. I want my burgers loaded with everything, add mayo. YUM.
LOL, mustard shouldn't be on a burger, either!

KETCHUP is the condiment you put on burgers. Anything else is weird.

People can put what they want on their burgers, but servers either have to let them put their own condiments on or ask first. Unexpectedly getting a burger with hot runny mayonnaise on it is not a pleasant surprise. Or mustard. Ketchup is the most common condiment for a burger, but I have met people who don't like it, so one cannot just assume.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:35 AM

1,371 posts, read 667,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I think you are thinking of the Big Mac, i.e. McDonald's. Remember their little jingle?

The Whopper doesn't have a special sauce, just condiments like mayo, ketchup, mustard if that's what you order on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink