Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM

149 posts, read 271,104 times

Advertisements

`Tis the season to update your wishlist! And of course everywhere you look you'll see lists and recommendations with supposedly "perfect gifts for a food-lover". Most of the time I look at those lists and cringe at the thought of receiving some of the items recommended.

Like anyone else who cooks and has friends/family who know this, I have recieved a few gifts in the past that had me scratching my head a bit.

-Someone gave me an expensive indoor electronic herb garden that required special pods to grow the herbs. A neat idea to be sure, but it would $50 to grow somewhere around $10 worth of herbs. Used it once with the pods that came with it and never ordered replacement pods.

-Over the years, I have recieved an astonishingly large assortment of hot cocoa abominations. You know, the kind that come in a jar and is flavored with weird combinations of stuff in an attempt to be creative. No, I don't really wan't peach-and-mint flavored hot cocoa. I don't even drink that much cocoa.

-Really, really cheap TV infomercial knives that "never dull". The handles were plastic and broke within a couple of months of use. I guess they did really never dull though.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Holiday mug/instant packet of anything combos. I would say the only gift less imaginative than a holiday mug would be the giant tin can filled with three flavors of popcorn, all of which taste the same blecch flavor.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I received the Chia herb garden 3 years ago which I enjoyed. We had fresh Rosemary, basil, dill and Thyme. Haven't grown herbs since then. I also got the magic bullet one year from my SIL tried it once and did not like it so I gave to my neighbor who loves it. I prefer my Cusinart food processor and oster blender over that. The one thing I did get that I love love love is my 15 piece calphalon cookware set that I got or Christmas from my husband in 2011 and my Henckles santoku knife. I use these cooking items everyday.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
A "Mammy" salt and pepper shaker
a dog shaped water pitcher with a spout that was the dog's mouth.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Raspberry infused vodka from a group that is well aware that I do not drink alcohol.

It is still in my pantry.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
I agree with the mugs filled with hot chocolate and the different popcorn gift boxes. Although I will confess long ago to giving both those items one year to my ex-inlaws. Maybe that's why they are my exs. HA

How about those liquor-filled chocolates? I've never really met anyone that enjoys them.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I got a sausage and cheese basket one year from work gift exchange , I never eat sausage or cheese in sticks or mustard so I re gifted and gave it to my brother in law for christmas and he loved it and he was a football lover so he would sit in front of the tv watch the game and munch . He told me I could not have gotten him a better gift . What got me was the person who got this for me was a woman and i dont know if she mixed the boxes up or what but you could clearly see it was for a person of the male persuasion . I think from the look on her face she got the pkgs mixed up and never said anything .I sure hope the man did not get a perfume and lotion set LOL !!!!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
At my husbands office/family Christmas dinner we did a gift exchange and I got a bottle of Thunderbird "wine". I didn't even know they still made that nasty stuff.

Please, no more Christmas mugs.

A s'more's maker. Really?

A Salad Shooter. Remember those things? It was such a PITA to use. It took more time to get it out and put it together than it did to just get out a cutting board and knife and cut it up by hand.

An avocado slicer. Good idea, but it just doesn't work right unless the avocado is the perfect size and ripeness. If it's too big, you end up leaving part of it in the skin. If its too small the slicer is too big to fit inside the skin. And if the avocado is just slightly under ripened it will just smush the fruit and you end up with a green mess.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post

-Really, really cheap TV infomercial knives that "never dull". The handles were plastic and broke within a couple of months of use. I guess they did really never dull though.

What about you?
Hey, I resemble that remark! We got my girlfriend's mom a set of Ginsu's for $30 on Amazon because she used some at our house and claimed to like them and that she needed a set. She still says she likes them and that they're super sharp. Whether she's cutting exhaust pipes like in the informercial, I'm not sure.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
I got a bottle of Cherry flavored oil. What the heck do you use Cherry flavored oil in???????

And it had actual cherries in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink