Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

The only time I got really sick at a restraint was after eating clam chowder at the Carnation Cafe in Disneyland back in 1976. Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday.

I eat out all the time without so much as a stomach ache, unless I eat too much. I notice those antibacterial dispensers everywhere I go now but the only time I ever use them is at work since I handle money and can't get away to properly wash my hands too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
My 2 food illness experiences were both from Chinese restuarants..

Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM

380 posts, read 833,517 times
FWIW, when I worked in restaurants, there was a very consistent pattern of never being able to get rid of colds in the places where the "spider finger" procedure was used to clear glassware. We've all seen it -- Bartenders & staff pick up multiple glasses simultaneously by the rims -- right where all the saliva & lipstick of the recently departed patrons just had their lips -- instead of utilising bartrays.

It's all fine and good, as far as efficiency, but a different story when hands aren't washed immediately after dispensing them @ the dishwasher, and the bartender promptly proceeds to handle subsequent clean glasses that way, & then squeeze a lime into the next Gin & Tonic, or the busy waiter grabs you more dinner rolls.
We could never get rid of colds because they'd also promptly run to the touchscreen computer to put orders/modifiers in. Then the next staff member is waiting behind them to use the same touchscreen....

Thankfully, many establishments are strict when it comes to handling glassware below the rims/via stems, and utilising bar trays to clear. Many also have hand sinks near the "out" door to utilise after bussing a tray of dirty dishes & silver @ the dishwasher. Their staffs call out less, and are less apt to spread colds, etc. Just my own personal experience, FWIW.

Last edited by Pamina333; 11-18-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
I've gotten sick maybe once after eating at a restaurant in the U.S., and I eat out quite often. I used to have something out virtually every day when I was younger. I usually patronize cheaper independent restaurants.

In Mexico, I have gotten sick and almost incapacitated with diarrhea (few other symptoms though) several times after eating street food.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
This could be applied kitchens at work, hotels, etc. I just try not to think about it. A little bottle of hand sanitization will do wonders also.
I have been doing this for years, I use the s/p, ketchup, etc. in restaurants and then before eating I use the sanitizer that is always in my hand bag. I use a paper towel on the door knob in the ladies room before leaving & after we open the mail in our home I wipe down the counter top. Once a week all the door knobs get wiped down, as well as, remotes, laptop, cell phones etc. Knock on wood, we have not gotten sick in a couple of yrs. My husband works with the public and he has his sanitizer in his desk.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:26 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
It wouldn't be a bad idea for sit-down restaurants with menus that have plastic covers to sterilize them with wipes every now and then. Paper menus, on the other hand, well, that might be a bit more difficult. The same idea could also be considered (if not already) for salt/pepper shakers and ketchup bottles.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
would you consider taking handi wipes to wipe down menus, S&P shakers and all the other germy places mentioned here?

The 10 Germiest Places in a Restaurant Hint: Bathroom Isn't No. 1 - ABC News
It's a safe bet that the germs, virii, bacteria, and disease on the bottom outside surface of your own pocketbook, is more disgusting than anything you'll swab off a restaurant's salt shaker.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Yes, you go to a buffet and......Harvey Barfbag uses the toilet and does not wash......then he touches the food tongs in the buffet............then you touch the filthy tongs too....oh my!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What I would like to see is to see a news crew go into the homes of the ABC News celebrities and take swabs of their bathrooms, kitchens and door knobs. I bet that they are not much different.

However, their stories make them a lot of $$$.
and I don't think I have a particularly dirty house (it isn't spotless either) and you are right. I would be shoked, I am sure, if someone took swabs of my door knobs for instance.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
It seems some folks should invest in a sterilized bubble and leave the rest of us alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink