Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I don't want to eat like a "caveman". Do you?
You'd be healthier if you did. IMHO.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You'd be healthier if you did. IMHO.

20yrsinBranson
This is a bit deceptive. If you gave a caveman the run of Whole Foods, and he picked out everything familiar to him - sure, that would be healthiest. But I don't believe that the very natural dearth of protein in one season and vitamin laden fruit in others that existed for the Neanderthal is ideal for health.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
local is relative,
compared to the icelandic haddock from china i bought the other day,,,just about everything is more local

buying LOCAL (also means to me) buying more from the little guy in the community, not the big box stores..

10 years ago the big box "one stop shop" was the going fad...now I believe there is more of an effort to shop locally for the independents

Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Georgia Produce

Quote:
How can you "eat local" if your climate and soil isn't good for raising a wide range of food?
I live in the city and food shop in franchise grocery stores. Oranges are a buck an orange although they are grown about an hour a way. I talked to the store unit manger and he told me he is supplied by truck from the franchise distribution center a State away even if produce is available fresher, cheaper right here. There is a State farmer's market out by the Interstate that has local produce that isn't convenient and a farmer's market once a week in the park, but after tasting the "organic" produce at the Farmer's Market, especially the tomatoes, I suspect they aren't local.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I live in the city and food shop in franchise grocery stores. Oranges are a buck an orange although they are grown about an hour a way. I talked to the store unit manger and he told me he is supplied by truck from the franchise distribution center a State away even if produce is available fresher, cheaper right here. There is a State farmer's market out by the Interstate that has local produce that isn't convenient and a farmer's market once a week in the park, but after tasting the "organic" produce at the Farmer's Market, especially the tomatoes, I suspect they aren't local.
Its funny you mention an orange
the first time i went into a whole foods i bought an orange, big sign, it was organic, cost $2.00 each
but feeling better it was organic, i stupidly bought it,,,a few days later i was in another supermarket, and
they have oranges 2 for 1.00 and it was the same damn orange!! I saw the boxes

I havent been back into one since

just be sure to wash everything at a farmers market- most veggies grown in cowshhit

Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
How can you "eat local" if your climate and soil isn't good for raising a wide range of food?
By obtaining it from local growers that have been able to cultivate the soil and produce that wide range of food. Then, you take that same produce and "put up" for year round eating. Put up is southern for canning, drying, freezing and preserving food.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
A lot of people who insist on eating locally do a great deal of canning & freezing, and the really lucky ones have access to a greenhouse where they can get fresh produce year 'round. There is a little produce place by my house that sells local & organic everything -- they keep a large secret root cellar for things like apples and squash that will keep without freezing if you let them.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
You just do the best you can. That's all you can do.

If you ate only locally grown food in my area, your diet would be limited to beef and potatoes. While those are both good healthy foods, together they do not make a balanced diet.

I grow fruit and vegetables, but have an extremely short season and some years I don't get anything to grow. Eating "rules" really should be flexible. Eat as local as you can and still eat a good balanced healthy diet. The food police won't come and put you in prison for eating an orange from California when you can't find a locally grown source of vitamin C.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Exactly. Do the best you can. It's a frame of mind, as much as anything.

Buying local fresh produce, when you can, not only boosts your local growers, but also provides you with fresher food. And all things considered, the fresher the produce, the healthier it is, because nutrients degrade over time.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
... it was the same damn orange!! I saw the boxes
I seriously doubt it, if you mean that Whole Foods was not organic. Whole Foods is expensive, but they have integrity, and they verify their sources.

A given packer can use the same boxes for different lots, adding a stamp or sticker for organic when it is appropriate. You may have missed that detail.

Second thing is, prices on fresh fruit are highly variable based on size. One size avocado is in the stores now at $.50 each, while the next size is over $1, even though it is only about 25% bigger, so the price per pound is far higher... because people prefer the larger size. Two bins of apples side by side, same kind, but small and large. The large are twice the price per pound. That happens all the time, and it's based on the market, which is constantly changing.

Quote:
just be sure to wash everything at a farmers market- most veggies grown in cowshhit
Actually, you should wash ALL veggies, because they all can carry contamination from the fields, or pick up contamination in processing or on the way to market, and all have been handled by other people. It's a mistake to think that the cosmetic prewash that produce gets to make it look pretty for display is sufficient. As a matter of fact, some serious food infections, like the recent cantaloupe recall, have been traced back to those production washes spreading the contagion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink