Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
A local news report last week demonstrated how dirty menus were in many restaurants. There is a flu epidemic here, and they showed how people handle the menus with dirty hands or sneeze or cough on them. They get handled by many people in a short period of time and aren't cleaned often.
Perhaps. There are also annual local and national news reports that state over and over again that in the average home, the toilet seat has fewer germs on it than the kitchen counter. Yet I'm not aware of too many folks prepping meals in their bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
they showed how people handle the menus with dirty hands or sneeze or cough on them. They get handled by many people in a short period of time and aren't cleaned often.
How is that even practical? You can't clean a paper menu.

At some point we have to be responsible for ourselves; in this case, use hand sanitizer between the time you hand the menu back to the wait person, and the time you pick up your glass or utensils.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,713,437 times
However dirty your kitchen is, it is usually accessed by only you and your family, so the likely spread of certain diseases is much more limited than in a public place.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How is that even practical? You can't clean a paper menu.

At some point we have to be responsible for ourselves; in this case, use hand sanitizer between the time you hand the menu back to the wait person, and the time you pick up your glass or utensils.
They were testing menus at casual dine places similar to Chili's, Applebee's, IHOP, etc. The kind that the server brings to your table, not paper take out menus.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
They were testing menus at casual dine places similar to Chili's, Applebee's, IHOP, etc. The kind that the server brings to your table, not paper take out menus.
I'm remembering that for the next chain food thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Menus should be wiped clean between customers but I doubt if this happens on a regular basis.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
I can think of dozens of restaurants that have paper menus that are not take-out menus.

But I cannot imagine the wait staff wiping down menus after every customer. What a waste of time! Buy some hand sanitizer, or stay home in a plastic bubble.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
Meh, restaurants regularly get "health code violations" for things you do in your own home. Many peoples' own kitchens are probably worse than many restaurants that get cited for health code violations.

Personally, out of sight out of mind. I've eaten at some absolutely filthy places abroad in Asia for some of the best food I've ever had in my life. Never gotten sick either.

If cleanliness really is your concern: I have a friend who works for our state's health department who inspects restaurants. By far and away he says that the most regularly clean places are in fact fast food places like McDonald's, Taco Bell, BK, etc. etc. I suppose they have a lot more to lose from a lawsuit than your local family restaurant.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Meh, restaurants regularly get "health code violations" for things you do in your own home. Many peoples' own kitchens are probably worse than many restaurants that get cited for health code violations.

Personally, out of sight out of mind. I've eaten at some absolutely filthy places abroad in Asia for some of the best food I've ever had in my life. Never gotten sick either.

If cleanliness really is your concern: I have a friend who works for our state's health department who inspects restaurants. By far and away he says that the most regularly clean places are in fact fast food places like McDonald's, Taco Bell, BK, etc. etc. I suppose they have a lot more to lose from a lawsuit than your local family restaurant.
FWIW, just looked at the inspections list here on C-D for PA, where I live. I don't know how many of each restaurant there are in the state, but ones that were cited for violations in the past two years (although usually corrected before subsequent followup) include:
McDonald's 102
Taco Bell 61
Burger King 141
KFC 51

That said, most of the time the violations are very minor and immediately correctable.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I can think of dozens of restaurants that have paper menus that are not take-out menus.

But I cannot imagine the wait staff wiping down menus after every customer. What a waste of time! Buy some hand sanitizer, or stay home in a plastic bubble.
I worked in a Big Boy when I was in school back in the 80's, and we wiped the menus before putting them back in the rack every time. It isn't that difficult and takes less time than wiping the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink