Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,486,001 times

Advertisements

I think the healthy fast food options will continue but never overtake the sales of the other options. If you go to lunch with a big group, there's always one or two people who are dieting, or one who just doesn't eat burgers and fries, or one who doesn't eat meat, or the one who just wants to feel loftier for ordering healthier food . It's probably good marketing too since a lot of people make resolutions at the first of the year to eat healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,672,329 times
The people who go to fast food places probably want fast food the way it is, but there will be some who'll opt for "healthier." Maybe a small percentage, but it is more "in" to eat healthier, even at these places.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
when it comes to "healthy options" in most fast food places, they usually arent any healthier. there seems to be a lot of people who convince themselves that salads are healthy options. that is even if they cover them in high calorie dressing, cheese and fried chicken. im not sure if your regular fast food restaurants have any decent healthy options. so i think they will stay, but probably wont be healthy. the trick is to market properly so you make people believe its a healthy option but still make it packed with tasty calories.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
I think the fast food places will continue to offer smaller, "snack" size portions of their not so healthy favorites - snack wraps, fish McBites, etc. Maybe small sample sized desserts or shakes will be the next thing..

Old 02-20-2013, 02:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think healthy options will stick around. i recently went to ruby tuesday and had a 300 something calorie lunch with the salad bar as one of the sides and broccolli as another. i love it there, i load up on at least 2 full plates of salad bar. IHOP also has some nice low calorie options.

i think vegetarian wont catch on because there is no need to cut meat from your diet so less people will feel the need to.
It does seem almost every restaurant does offer lite meals today, with the actual calory count listed as well as sodium in a few cases. As for vegetarian, yes, they have a long way to go. We hear about vegetarian being so much healthier and how many people are switching, but I think the number is probably pretty small, they are just more vocal than those who eat a standard diet.

Nita

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It does seem almost every restaurant does offer lite meals today, with the actual calory count listed as well as sodium in a few cases. As for vegetarian, yes, they have a long way to go. We hear about vegetarian being so much healthier and how many people are switching, but I think the number is probably pretty small, they are just more vocal than those who eat a standard diet.

Nita
i was first thinking of casual restaurants but then i realized the original question was fast food. i really enjoy my ruby tuesday meal and the variety of vegetable sides they have (and the salad bar). ill also get the harvest grain and nut blueberry pancakes at ihop with egg substitute and use sugar free syrup. sure, its never as good as the real deal but a lot of my dining out enjoyment is the experience so if the food isnt wonderful, im still happy. i guess if you eat out just for special occasions, then you are less likely to sacrifice. if you are obese, you arent going to sacrifice either.

but fast food is something i dont really go to. even if im having a burger, ill do it at a casual dining place and then i get whats probably a 1,000 calorie burger with a side of sweet potato fries. but im not really aware of decent low calorie options in those places. you can do panera and get out pretty good with the calories and still get a decent salad.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,893,779 times
I think fast food places will continue to offer what they're telling consumers are "healthy" options. They've been under a lot of heat lately to do so. And we'll all soon know whether they're "healthy" or not, once that part of Obamacare goes into effect where ALL restaurants have to post ALL nutritional information for ALL their offerings. People will be able to see it then, they can of course ignore it, but it will make it harder for them to put their head in the sand and claim they don't know any better.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,994,758 times
I think the 'healthier choices' at places like McD's are there for parents who can't deal with eating yet another industrial beef patty while their kids are stuffing their faces with McNuggets. It makes sense and I imagine it's here to stay. I don't know any actual vegetarians who've been clamoring for burger chains to add tofu options.

As ethnic restaurants become more common in the suburbs and exburbs, I think more vegetarians/vegans will opt for those places - which already offer a lot of veg-friendly options. Thus the need for exclusive 'vegan' restaurants will remain a niche.

And don't kid yourself thinking vegans don't enjoy junk on occasion. There's a place here that serves the most outrageous seitan "chicken wings" - deep fried, smothered in buffalo sauce, served with carrots/celery and some vegan dip thing - has to be one of the most unhealthy "non-meat" thing I've ever eaten, but damn those things are tasty.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,093,911 times
Even though I have to eat healthy most of the time, I do like to have a juicy old cheeseburger every once in a while.

Through my many years of existence I have seen specialty and healthy-type and vegetarian eating establishments come and go. But I have seen a lot more healthy type food items on menus than ever before.....I think a lot of places know many regulations concerning showing fats and sodium content have been enacted and most likely there will be many more regulations concerning benchmarks for reducing the sodium and fat content in certain processed foods (there are already guidance regulations now I think).

The trend for more healthy foods will continue but there will always be the greasy spoons cafes where you can go for a greasy burger and fries.....that's your choice......and I hope you never have to give it up but someday you might have to for various reasons....I didn't think it would ever happen to me either....but it did.

Eating places are using leaner meats and offering more fish, seafood and chicken dishes.....probably cuts down on their costs too.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
I'm not vegetarian but my favorite "burger" of all time is a vegetarian burger from a local vegetarian fast-food restaurant. I know most people assume vegetarian food is healthful but there is no way this vegetarian burger and fries is any better for you than other fast-foods. The 1/3lb "burger" patty is deep-fried and put on a bun with vegetarian mayo, lettuce and tomato. It is really good - and quite satisfying.

Anyway, my intent here is just to mention another "healthful trend" - vegetarian food. Yes, it can be healthful - but it can also have the same fat/calories as other fast foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink