Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,530 times

Advertisements

This is a ridiculous pet peeve, but I hate going to places and ordering a CHOCOLATE milkshake only to get a VANILLA + CHOCOLATE SYRUP milkshake. These are not the same thing people. When you add syrup to the already sweet ice cream, it becomes cloyingly sweet, and it doesn't even really taste like chocolate. I don't really care about regional differences, or what this person calls it, or whatever. Fundamentally speaking, a CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE is by definition, chocolate ice cream + milk. Period. If you must use vanilla ice cream, then use cocoa powder rather than syrup, as it ads the chocolate flavor without extra gross sweetness.

Rant Over.

P.S. Malts should be made with malt syrup, not Carnation Malted Milk. Otherwise the malt flavor is not strong enough and you get the aftertaste of dried milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
I always specify that it be made entirely with chocolate ice cream. Best ever - Bruster's Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate - wow!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Bruster's has great milkshakes! Nothing artificial goes into them~~made with real milk, unlike many places.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM

708 posts, read 954,797 times
I prefer mine with vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup(just not hersheys). Also, I have never seen malt syrup. Only malt powder, not carnation malted milk.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Fundamentally speaking, a CHOCOLATE MILKSHAKE is by definition, chocolate ice cream + milk. Period. If you must use vanilla ice cream, then use cocoa powder rather than syrup, as it ads the chocolate flavor without extra gross sweetness.
What an unusual notion. Wherever did that come from?

I had the privilege to grow up when there were still actual soda-fountains in drug stores. Marble counters, high wire stools, long handled soda pulls, a hand of bananas ripening on the back counters for "splits"... and a soda "jerk," so named for the jerking motion used to move the handles of the soda siphon when blending a flavored soda. If you wanted a Coca-Cola, for example, they'd measure out the Coca-Cola syrup and then 'jerk" in the unflavored soda water to mix it properly without having to use a stirring spoon.

And when you ordered a milkshake, it was made exactly according to this description from Wikipedia:

Quote:
A milkshake is a sweet, cold beverage which is usually made from milk, ice cream or iced milk, and flavorings or sweeteners such as fruit syrup or chocolate sauce.
Yep. Vanilla milkshakes (or frappes, as they are called in New England), chocolate milkshakes, strawberry milkshakes... they were all made with vanilla ice cream, plus whatever flavor syrup you asked for.

Cocoa powder? No. They didn't have it.

Of course we all missed the first era of the milkshake, when they were eggnog style whiskey drinks of the late 1800s, but by 1900 milkshakes referred to "wholesome drinks made with chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla syrups."

Then in 1922 the "malted milk shake" debuted at Walgreens in Chicago, made by adding two scoops of vanilla ice cream to the standard malted milk drink recipe (milk, chocolate syrup and Horlick's malt powder). It rapidly became a favorite across the country.

Milkshake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by OpenD; 04-13-2013 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Sometimes you have to make something yourself, if you're really particular about how it's made.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
I don't know who the OP is telling that to, but a chocolate milkshake is a milkshake that tastes chocolatey.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Back in the day in Boston, if you ordered a "chocolate milk shake" they'd get milk, and hershey's syrup, some ice, and blend it up. If you wanted an ice cream drink, you had to ask for a frappe. And a frappe would be made with vanilla ice cream, chocolate or strawberry syrup, milk, and ice.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
As a teenager I worked at a Howard Johnson's restaurant, famous for milkshakes. All of our famous shakes started with vanilla ice cream and then we added flavoring.

We made so many shakes that we kept several 6 gallon tubs of vanilla in the freezer near the flavorings so several of us could scoop vanilla for shakes at the same time.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
I've had milk shakes, and also malts, at various places and they were always made with milk, ice cream, and a syrup. In the case of malts, Horlick's malted milk powder was included.

My Mother was a waitress at Howard Johnson's, back in the day, and she made milk shakes the HoJo way - with a flavoring syrup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink