Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammaof2girls View Post
Oh, and for the poster on the previous page talking about italian wedding soup. I lOVE that soup. I have a recipe for that, and I've made that soup several times. I'll be glad to share it if you're interested.
Why not just go ahead and post it? Amber, my daughter, is the poster you mentioned but she is in CA and she doesn't get on here until much later/time difference. I am curious myself to see the different ways people make this Wedding Soup so please post your version!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Why not just go ahead and post it? Amber, my daughter, is the poster you mentioned but she is in CA and she doesn't get on here until much later/time difference. I am curious myself to see the different ways people make this Wedding Soup so please post your version!
I will be interested; I have never had it or really even read about it.....I have only seen Progresso's Cans on the shelf.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:23 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Yes please-it is so very good.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Oh, and for the poster on the previous page talking about italian wedding soup. I lOVE that soup. I have a recipe for that, and I've made that soup several times. I'll be glad to share it if you're interested.
Believe it or not, I don't remember ever trying Italian Wedding soup. It sounds good and would be good on the cold damp days ahead.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:29 AM

142 posts, read 565,959 times
[quote=Debsi;5470488]
Quote:
Wow everyone....thank you for your warm welcome. And thank you to all those who gave me the reputation comments (still trying to figure this out). I see this thread moves along very quickly....I think my first post was like all the way back on page 1071 or 1072 - I posted that I made the balsamic pork loin roast.

Just press the mini scale button on the top right of each post whenever somebody writes something you like.
Ah, ok.....cool! Thank you!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Wow everyone....thank you for your warm welcome. And thank you to all those who gave me the reputation comments (still trying to figure this out). I see this thread moves along very quickly....I think my first post was like all the way back on page 1071 or 1072 - I posted that I made the balsamic pork loin roast.

Anyway, today I'm just making bruschetta chicken bake, with a side tossed salad.
Hello, good morning and welcome!!!

The bruschetta chick sounds good - recipe please!!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Ok....here's the Italian Wedding soup recipe that I use:

Italian Wedding Soup

~ 1/2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
~ 1 egg lighly beaten
~ 2 TB dry bread crumbs
~ 1 TB grated Parmesan cheese
~ 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (I used acini de pepe pasta, which IMO would be much better)
~ 1/2 tsp dried basil
~ 1/2 tsp. onion powder
~ 6 cups chicken broth
~ 2 cups thinly sliced escarole (using spinach would be just as fine too. I used the fresh bagged spinach)
~ 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot

1. In medium bowl, combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion powder; shape into 3/4 inch balls (I also added some garlic powder to the meatballs too).

2. In large saucepan, heat broth to boiling; stir in escarole, orzo pasta, chopped carrot and meatballs. Return to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook at slow boil for 10 min., or until pasta is al dente. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

Makes 4 servings.

Notes:

** I used about 2 more cups chicken stock. The pasta really absorbes the liquid. The original recipe called for 1 cup pasta...and I feel that 1/2 cup was more than enough.

** I didn't use extra lean beef, so I quickly fried up the meatballs first just to help get some of the fat out of it.

** I added a bit more bread crumbs (I tripled the recipe and I used 2 more TBs of it)

** I cooked the pasta separately. I was worried that it would overcook. I added it at the very end.

This is a delicious soup that I would surely make again and again. I'm thinking that maybe I"ll add some seasonings to the broth. Very delicious Don't forget to add Parmesan cheese to the soup after it's in bowls.

And just for a bonus, I'll also include the recipe for the italian grilled cheese sandwiches that I usually make with this soup:

I make these to accompany the Italian Wedding Soup. YUM!

Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

~ 2 TB unsalted butter
~ 1/8 tsp garlic powder
~ 6 slices white bread (I actually used Thomas' square bagel bread in 'everything' flavor.)
~ 1/2 tsp dried oregano
~ 1/2 package (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
~ 1/2 jar (24 oz.) vodka marinara sauce

1. Preheat your oven's broiler. (I made these right on the stove top in a non-stick pan)

2. Place 3 slices of bread onto a baking sheet. Spread a small handful of the mozzarella cheese over each slice. Top with the remaining 3 slices of bread. Mix together the butter and garlic powder, brush some over the tops of the sandwiches, or spread with the back of a tablespoon. Sprinkle w/ dried oregano (I also spread some of the butter on the inside of the bread too). Return to the broiler, and cook until golden, about 2 min.

3. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally, and serve immediately with vodka sauce on the side for dipping.

Enjoy!

Makes 3 servings.

Notes:

** Use a firm white bread for best results. The square bagel bread I used by Thomas' was perfect! Italian or even french bread would work great w/ this too!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Hello, good morning and welcome!!!

The bruschetta chick sounds good - recipe please!!
Sure!!! It's so easy and really good!

Bruschetta Chicken Bake

~14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes -- (14-1/2 oz.) undrained
~2 cloves garlic -- minced
~1 pkg. Stove Top Stuffing -- (6 oz.)
~1/2 cup water
~2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (I usually use 4) -- cut into pieces
~2 tsp. dried basil
~1 cup mozzarella cheese (I tend to use a bit more than 1 cup )

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes with liquid in medium bowl. Add garlic, stuffing mix and water. Stir just until stuffing mix is moistened. Set aside.

PLACE chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with basil and cheese. Top with stuffing mixture.

BAKE 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Notes:
I find that the perfect side dish to this is simply a tossed salad w/ extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
The sandwiches sound really good. I think it would be easier, for me, to use the stove top. Can sliced mozzarella cheese work?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Sure!!! It's so easy and really good!

Bruschetta Chicken Bake

~14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes -- (14-1/2 oz.) undrained
~2 cloves garlic -- minced
~1 pkg. Stove Top Stuffing -- (6 oz.)
~1/2 cup water
~2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (I usually use 4) -- cut into pieces
~2 tsp. dried basil
~1 cup mozzarella cheese (I tend to use a bit more than 1 cup )

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Place tomatoes with liquid in medium bowl. Add garlic, stuffing mix and water. Stir just until stuffing mix is moistened. Set aside.

PLACE chicken in 13x9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with basil and cheese. Top with stuffing mixture.

BAKE 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Notes:
I find that the perfect side dish to this is simply a tossed salad w/ extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar!
Thanks for that - you may have saved me a search for what to cook tonight!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink