Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 06:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times

Advertisements

Very well said elston. You are right! I know the thought of "raw" fish is what turned me off for so long. I think the way you said it makes it sound just like it taste! Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Mmmmmmmmmmmm now I want Sushi for dinner.......

Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 AM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
I ended up making chili beans from whatever I had in the pantry yesterday! Glad I did, my DH was 3 hours late coming home from Vegas, one of those "plane" things the airline like to be so vague about! Chili beans and cornbread, if it were only cold down here, life would be normal!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The hamantaschen cookies are traditional for the holiday of Purim....a joyous festival celebrating the rescue of the Jewish people from the Persians. Queen Esther used her influence with the king, to foil the plot of Haman, the kings wicked advisor; to have the Israelites killed. Haman wore a three cornered hat and hence the three cornered cookie.
I knew they were a holiday cookie but didn't know what Purim was.
Thank you VERY much Elston for the history lesson Unfortunately while my moms side of the family are all jews I was not raised with any of the history nor allowed to discuss it. Me thinks it's time to visit a Rabbi and learn something!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I knew they were a holiday cookie but didn't know what Purim was.
Thank you VERY much Elston for the history lesson Unfortunately while my moms side of the family are all jews I was not raised with any of the history nor allowed to discuss it. Me thinks it's time to visit a Rabbi and learn something!
It is a shame how a lot of family history is lost that way. My MIL was not allowed to speak Italian growing up, her parents wanted her to be AMERICAN (her family was from Italy and were treated poorly when they arrived)... so a lot of that Italian history has been lost because of it... My husband, who lived with his grandfather feels the same way. He knows NO Italian (can't understand a word) and wishes he had been able to (to talk with his grandfather/grt aunts/grt uncles and learn the stories).... I would love for my kids to learn it so they have a pc of thier family history.... (heck if they could learn Gaelic I would have 'em do it for my Irish history and that is DEAD language!!!!) History is so important....

Last edited by skbs; 11-10-2008 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Tonight will be chicken tenders. I plan to bread them with the Panko I found a couple of weeks ago and give that a try. I hate the mess frying makes, so I will bake them. Sides so far undetermined.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I'm Jewish on my father's side. I love hamantashen, and that Queen Esther rocks!

I am hosting the holidays for the first time ever this year. Just my parents are coming. I have got my first menorah and I am planning a whole Hannukah party - me and my trusty sidekick "The Book of Jewish Food." Latkes, this yummy sounding chicken dish braised with mushrooms and white wine, and I'm not sure what else. Gotta find some dreidels too.

Then the next day, Mom and I can decorate our tree and make Christmas cookies.

For dinner tonight we will have ground beef tacos and black bean soup I pulled from the freezer. Last night we had chicken slow-baked in a sweet soy sauce mixture, rice, and coral broccoli. Have any of you ever been lucky enough to find this stuff? It's so pretty, really looks like a green coral reef. I thought it tasted pretty much like broccoli, but milder.

Last edited by Debsi; 11-10-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Forgot to stay on topic!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm Jewish on my father's side. I love hamantashen, and that Queen Esther rocks!

I am hosting the holidays for the first time ever this year. Just my parents are coming. I have got my first menorah and I am planning a whole Hannukah party - me and my trusty sidekick "The Book of Jewish Food." Latkes, this yummy sounding chicken dish braised with mushrooms and white wine, and I'm not sure what else. Gotta find some dreidels too.

Then the next day, Mom and I can decorate our tree and make Christmas cookies.

For dinner tonight we will have ground beef tacos. Last night we had chicken slow-baked in a sweet soy sauce mixture, rice, and coral broccoli. Have any of you ever been lucky enough to find this stuff? It's so pretty, really looks like a green coral reef. I thought it tasted pretty much like broccoli, but milder.
That sounds like so much fun... is this a tradition that will stay? I find the Figuring out the when and where of it all the trickiest part.... Luckily for hubby and me our families are both here in one spot... but even THAT was tough at first as HIS family (primarily MIL) wanted us at everything (I think it was the Italian Mama thing).... but now we have a schedule now (only took seven years LOL).... and we stick to it....makes life easier and lets us enjoy everything so much more.... I love the holidays.... a whole month of partying if you ask me..... Friends, Family and Food.... You all know how I feel about that

Diva's sick....she wants chicken and fries... how am I to say no to a sick kid?

Last edited by skbs; 11-10-2008 at 07:44 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Nomad. My biggest problem is "creativity" and not knowing what goes with what or what spices/sauces, etc.
vp....there is also a thread on here that asked for crockpot cookbook suggestions. Perhaps that will help as well. I have several books that I use when I am in crockpot mode. Glad to have you back.

Tonight for dinner probably a soup, I think I am leaning towards either lentil soup or chicken and dumplings. It is supposed to be rainy all week so comfort food here we come. I now have time to be creative as football season for son is over. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I do feel bad for him as his team was really bad this year, BUT, I no longer have to run here there and everywhere).

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:07 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Hi all, happy Monday! And congrats to all the winners of the CD prizes! Well done.

Thanks for all the well wishes too, still not out of the woods and tired as can be but have been reading lots of books so that's a bonus! Can't face food yet so have only skim-read the last few days of your wonderful posts and look forward to catching up soon. I start a new job this week so I'd better get myself together and pronto!

have a good week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink