Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times

Advertisements

Potroast!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:14 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, and unfrosted chocolate cupcakes on their way to the freezer to keep for DH's birthday on Saturday. I hope they make it to the freezer.
The frosting will be a Martha Stewart recipe of only semi-sweet chocolate chips, whipping cream and corn syrup...I'll try anything once.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Jaxson LOL you mean when we did what we were told and ate what we had to and the parents ran the household not the kids????? LOL I wouldn't trade my childhood for the world.
I guess we had to have Cod Liver Oil to keep us healthy like a vitamin.
I laugh now because I take fish pills at night and if I don't buy the coated ones it sure tastes like the Cod Liver Oil.

And all this time I thought it was because there were kids starving in China

Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Tonight was leftovers of last night's chicken/sausage/peppers/onions. Like many dishes it was even better the second night

I wonder if I'd made enough to last a week if on the 7th night it would border on outrageously good

Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
OK somebody can have my share of liver & onions too. CW do you realize you were raised in an abusive home? Cod liver oil was past it's prime when I was a kid I guess we didn't have to endure it.
I had it as a kid, then stopped taking it as an adult. But when I read that two (healthy both mentally and physically) 100 and 101 year old sisters (The Delaney Sisters - a book written about them and a play scripted about them) said the only thing they could attribute their longevity to was 1 t of cod liver oil a day, I started taking it and now have found out that it helps prevent Alzheimer's, is needed for people who live in climates which lack sun, helps the heart and a myriad of other things, I figure I can't lose and have started taking it again. I think the Norwegian natural kind is best. Some settle for the fish oil pills but you have to make sure the HD or some such is larger than the other some such, etc. etc. I can't tell you more because I stick to the cod liver oil. Taking it with a little yogurt to help it go down helps. To me it's worth it. Maybe it even helps arthritis - oiling those joints.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Hi, all. Dinner ended up being cheese and crackers and fresh strawberries.

Enjoy the day!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
That was a big pork chop tonight...Looks like the dessert is on hold until tomorrow night...

Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I had it as a kid, then stopped taking it as an adult. But when I read that two (healthy both mentally and physically) 100 and 101 year old sisters (The Delaney Sisters - a book written about them and a play scripted about them) said the only thing they could attribute their longevity to was 1 t of cod liver oil a day, I started taking it and now have found out that it helps prevent Alzheimer's, is needed for people who live in climates which lack sun, helps the heart and a myriad of other things, I figure I can't lose and have started taking it again. I think the Norwegian natural kind is best. Some settle for the fish oil pills but you have to make sure the HD or some such is larger than the other some such, etc. etc. I can't tell you more because I stick to the cod liver oil. Taking it with a little yogurt to help it go down helps. To me it's worth it. Maybe it even helps arthritis - oiling those joints.
Wow, you're brave. Cod liver oil, for me, is one of my childhood nightmares. One time I'd just had enough of it, and burping up the nasty taste of it for hours after, I just refused. My mother had to chase me through the yard with the wooden spoon. I climbed up on the shed and stayed there for hours. Til it got too hot - metal roof, Australian summer. My mother admired my tenacity and let me off. Just that once.

It's the capsules for me now. The taste is a bad memory I do not want to revisit.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Grinning my way through a lot of laughter, good chat and great food that went on here today - sounds like a lot of people had a great Tuesday. I got hungry all over again reading about everyone else's meals!

Supper tonight was a big hit with our weekly dinner guests, and with us, for that matter. It all just came out really, really well. The borscht was a lovely rich deep shade of red, and tasted absolutely wonderful; I think I liked it even better than the borscht we got at the Russian restaurant. That recipe is a keeper for sure.

The vareniki were wonderful!! Oh, my goodness, they were tasty, and I was really pleased with how well the noodle dough held together in the boiling water. They disappeared at a great rate, and we're now planning a weekend vareniki party with our guests, as it was obvious last night that the volume produced by that recipe really calls for an assembly line. More fun that way, too.

The "golubtsi" (a/k/a stuffed cabbage rolls speaking Russian) were very successful as well, and we all really liked the rinsed sauerkraut with a bit of brown sugar mixed in. Very tasty stuff, and the kids took home the three that were left over.

Monica's lemon nectar cake was quite a hit as well, very rich and flavorful. Sent the rest home with the kids, since we don't need that much sugar, and they didn't object at all for some reason.

And since laughter is a condiment that's liberally used at all meals in our home, dinner was punctuated with plenty of chatter, jokes and hilarity. That's the best part of these weekly suppers together, really; the food is great, and it's fun to cook for a couple of lonely young college kids who don't get much in the way of home cooking living so far from family, but the laughter and conversation is the best thing of all.

Jaxson, we do see our daughter and her sig-other fairly often, though they don't frequently get here for supper. He's got a particularly troublesome case of reflux and really has to eat by 6:00 or so, and most weeknights I don't leave the office until 7:00 or later, so about the only time we can sup with them is on the weekends. They do join us for Saturday morning breakfast at our favorite diner most weekends, and we chat and email throughout the week. But since they're both in school fulltime and working 20-25 hours a week, plus trying to learn how to be a living together couple, we try not to be interfering parents.

Lacey, you're just such a generous soul, and I do so much appreciate your desire to share all that lovely cold white stuff with us, but really and truly, you needn't. I just saw some daffodil shoots sticking their noses out of the cold loamy garden bed, and I'd really like to see them bloom before June.... Hope they get the Interstate cleared quickly for you, though, and that you have clear sailing all the way through. And maybe by the time you get back, the Minnesota tundra will have started to relinquish its permafrost!

SKBS, I'm mightily glad to see you stop by again, and glad that the girls are both doing better now. I know they keep you plenty busy, and you're a sweetheart to stop in and let us know that all is well. Remember to build in some time for yourself, too.

Still have to tackle that sinkful of dishes, and although the stacks aren't as high as they were last night, it'll be a bit of a chore, so I'd best get cracking. Have a good evening, all, see you tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Dinner tonight - gnocchi with bolognese sauce, homemade garlic bread, and Caesar Salad. It's my kids' favourite meal and the two of them are home for dinner tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink