Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 PM

9,370 posts, read 13,036,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Actually, they would say the food was "seasoned perfectly." Many, many fine dining restaurants do not provide salt shakers or pepper mills. Although most of them will provide them if asked for, many do not.

Did anyone in the above scenario actually try the food first?
Not having them initially on the table is fine. Not providing them when asked is thoroughly obnoxious. I went to Wolfgang Puck's restaurant at the Borgata. Everything was excellent, but the New England clam chowder was a bit bland, so I asked for some pepper. The waiter came by and gave two lazy turns on the pepper mill. Still bland. So I asked for some more. He started turning it quite vigorously and if I hadn't quickly stopped him, the soup would have been ruined. Keep in mind, I politely asked both times. Wolfgang Puck himself also doesn't seem like the type who would put up a huge fuss about something like that--always seemed like a very kind, down-to-Earth kind of guy who, while definitely a "food artist," would ultimately put his customers' needs before his own ego. Then again, maybe he's a primadonna prick like the rest of them and just happens to put on a good face when he gives public appearances.

It's also one of maybe three times I've ever asked for salt and pepper when it wasn't provided first. Restaurants that don't automatically provide them are usually good about properly seasoning their food in the first place. But everyone makes mistakes sometimes. And even if everything is "up to snuff," god forbid a paying customer should want something served a different way.

I usually "follow the rules" as far as fine dining goes, but if I deviate from the "accepted norms," and a chef takes umbrage with that, he can keep his pride and I can keep my money. It's a win-win. If the jerkoff wants to sacrifice a hundred-plus dollar tab in the process, all the more power to him.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:35 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,839,707 times
I always taste first. Often the salt is fine, but I do like a bit of pepper on certain items. But I don't go to uber fancy restaurants except steakhouses and they often do have salt/pepper grinders available.

Now I do know enough not to ask for A1 sauce at those same steakhouses....

Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM

782 posts, read 1,107,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Yes they did. But does it really matter? Again, why would you care? Why would it bother someone so much if someone wants to put some salt or pepper on their food?
Would it bother Van Goh if I smeared some paint across his paintings? Would it bother a great photographer if I photobombed his well planned out shot? True chefs cooking food ... and I'm not talking about American chain restaraunt nastiness, I am talking actual restaraunts with real chefs ... are a form of artistry.

Now, I disagree with not giving the shakers to someone who asks for it, but I at least understand the reasoning behind it.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:29 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,961,331 times
And if you like A1 with your steak, why should you not be able to eat it that way? You are paying for your meal....everything should be the way you want it for your maximum enjoyment. If the chef's nose gets put out of joint, so be it. He's not the one paying for it or eating it.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:33 PM

782 posts, read 1,107,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
And if you like A1 with your steak, why should you not be able to eat it that way? You are paying for your meal....everything should be the way you want it for your maximum enjoyment. If the chef's nose gets put out of joint, so be it. He's not the one paying for it or eating it.
Using steak sauce on low grade beef, so what. Using it on a high grade, deftly prepared steak? It is a crime against humanity

Old 05-25-2013, 03:40 PM

19,971 posts, read 30,274,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

i once got an attitude at a high end restaurant-when i asked for salt & pepper-so, then i asked for ketchup
she asked me "whatever for" ?? i looked her right in the eye, and said "i'm paying alot of money for this meal, if it sucks, I'll put ketchup on it"

she was stunned,,,

Old 05-25-2013, 03:45 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,961,331 times
This is bordering on ridiculous. I don't know where chefs got the idea that they are some kind of final authority on food, but people have different tastes. They need to acknowledge that. If I am paying for the food, you better believe I'll have it the way I like it. They can stomp their feet and throw tantrums in the kitchen if someone wants pepper, salt, ketchup, A1 or whatever. The chefs are simply very good cooks, but I don't consider them artists just because they can pile food up prettily or think up tasty combinations of flavors.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Using steak sauce on low grade beef, so what. Using it on a high grade, deftly prepared steak? It is a crime against humanity
Exactly. I do see that marring what the chef is trying to create with this dish if you douse it with A1 sauce or ketchup. That to me I can see why they would be insulted.

But salt and pepper in my mind is alright. Some people can tolerate very little salt and others are salt licks. It's hard for a chef to please all.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i once got an attitude at a high end restaurant-when i asked for salt & pepper-so, then i asked for ketchup
she asked me "whatever for" ?? i looked her right in the eye, and said "i'm paying alot of money for this meal, if it sucks, I'll put ketchup on it"

she was stunned,,,
See if I am paying a lot of money and it sucks, I am sending it back. But everyone is different of course.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM

9,370 posts, read 13,036,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Or you can try and abide by a concept called "live and let live."

And did you actually compare a high-end restaurant meal to a painting? That would be apropos if paintings were made to be eaten...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink