Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times

Advertisements

My mom has very different tastes than I do. I am more of a purist and like to taste the main dish. My mom likes it smothered, covered and smothered again.

Specific Example: I recently made homemade baked beans and really liked it. I was telling her I was going to make it for an upcoming bbq that she is coming to. She said oooh good, which recipe? And before I could tell her, she went on to say she likes to start with 2 cans of brown sugar baked beans then add maple syrup, brown sugar, white sugar AND molasses. Along with ketchup and mustard and barbeque sauce. Salt pork and bacon and a bit of ground beef. And then to make a topping of the brown sugar on top.

But I gallantly don't say a negative word and tell her that I will probably make two versions then. As I prefer mine savory with a hint of molasses. She said that isn't baked beans. I changed the subject.

And I will serve both versions so she can have what she likes and I can have what I like. But she seem to think that was crazy talk. What about you all? Would you make a few versions? It's a bbq for about 12 people so it isn't like it's just her and me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
As an (ahem) HOST, I select dishes that I think my guests will enjoy, and I might make a favorite dish for an honored guest on a special occasion... for instance, on their birthday.

But to try to make a dish for someone because it's the way THEY would make it? No, that makes no sense to me. My response would likely be something like... "That sounds interesting. I'll have to try it sometime when I come to your house!"

Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As an (ahem) HOST, I select dishes that I think my guests will enjoy, and I might make a favorite dish for an honored guest on a special occasion... for instance, on their birthday.

But to try to make a dish for someone because it's the way THEY would make it? No, that makes no sense to me. My response would likely be something like... "That sounds interesting. I'll have to try it sometime when I come to your house!"
Noooooooooooo I don wanna try it.

My mom will instead raid my pantry and doctor it all up and offer to everyone to'fix' theirs. I found over the years it's better to make two versions. And I feel as a hostess it's a nice gesture to provide for all known tastes. I know someone that hates spicy. So I will prepare a non spicy and spicy version.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I just started telling my mom she can bring whatever it is that she's going on about. I do the same for my sister, if she starts saying that she or her husband can only eat a certain dish if it's prepared a certain way, then I suggest that she cook that and bring it. It used to bother me when I made a meal and they brought food, but it doesn't anymore.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I don't think I would ever make 2 separate dishes of the same thing. I might suggest someone bring a side dish and then I will make the same thing using slightly different ingredients or I will try and please a person, but no, I am not going to make 2 of anything. I have started making basic salads and having additional ingredients for those who like other things: an example, one granddaughter loves tomatoes but not avocado: I will usually have both, available to be added. I might do with additional salads fixings, but that isn't the same as what you are talking about.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I have an eat it or wear it policy. I'm not running a restaurant. I do have a friend who has really limited dietary habits, due to medical reasons. All she can eat is salad, rice and grilled fish. I always have that for her, but I have no patience for picky eaters otherwise who have the dietary habits of a 3 yr old.
We have friends, who I have mentioned often. We call them "the friends who don't like anything". Between the two of them they hardly like anything. They are also a bit crass about asking what I'm planning to serve and who else is coming. I fell for this a few times before I just started saying that I hadn't decided what I was serving yet. Since they do like to be invited places, they have learned to shut up and love everything I make for them. The husband hates vegetables, but now loves Caesar Salad. The wife keeps her mouth shut too, lest I stop inviting them.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM

709 posts, read 955,165 times
Assuming everyone on here is female, might lose you your own cooking show in six or seven years. I make what I make and if they don't like it tough. They don't have to eat it.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Noooooooooooo I don wanna try it.

My mom will instead raid my pantry and doctor it all up and offer to everyone to'fix' theirs. I found over the years it's better to make two versions. And I feel as a hostess it's a nice gesture to provide for all known tastes. I know someone that hates spicy. So I will prepare a non spicy and spicy version.
I wouldn't do this.

I would prepare a side that's spicy, and a different side that's not, so that those who don't prefer spice have a different choice. Don't like the salad? Bummer, maybe you'll like the potatoes. I'll give you different options in the different courses or dishes I serve, but making multiple versions of every dish isn't being a hostess, it's being a caterer.

Picky eaters? I don't invite them over for meals.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM

I guess it's different for me, I grew up in a family of picky eaters, vegans along with allergies and gall bladder issues. I don't mind making a dish and portioning out some before adding the heat/meat/etc. I myself am not a picky eater so I'll try anything once. And I always have a freaky memory for who likes what etc. I don't think it's weird either way it's done.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Don't get me wrong. I am a thoughtful hostess, and I will respect a vegan, or someone who gave up chocolate because her dog lived, or whatever, but I just am not willing to be held hostage to immaturity in grownups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink