Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times

Advertisements

Tofu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
Raw oysters. Never tried them. Cannot bring myself to eat them. (I won't say what they look like to me.) The same with oyster soup. I just cannot get past the look of the oysters. Now fried oysters I can eat. I never order them when I go out for seafood here at home but I have eaten them at the beach and they weren't too bad.

Any kind of liver is another food I will not eat nor am I willing to try it. Just not going to do it.
I am so with you on this!

Some of the foods people are listing are not my idea of "mainstream" per the OP. Tripe!? Escargot!? >>shudder<<

I try never to eat anything that reminds me of pus, so I just say "no" to sour cream, milk, and mayo, and most salad dressings and tartar sauce are right out.

I am so sensitive to hot spices that I can barely touch anything with a lot of them.

Oh, and squishy, evil-flavored pimentoes. Guh!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Sea urchin
Kidneys
Souse
Blood pudding
These sounds like excellent things to avoid. Do I even want to know what "souse" is?

Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I'll try just about anything as long as there isn't a "Russian Roulette" component to it. One such item is Fugu, which is deadly poisonous if it isn't prepared correctly - nope, none for me. Also, wild mushrooms picked by "someone who was shown by their grandfather" - nope, none for me.

Most other edibles I'll try. I might not ever eat them again, but I'll try them. Fried brains, tried them - nope, none for me.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'll try just about anything as long as there isn't a "Russian Roulette" component to it. One such item is Fugu, which is deadly poisonous if it isn't prepared correctly - nope, none for me. Also, wild mushrooms picked by "someone who was shown by their grandfather" - nope, none for me.
This is my threshold as well. Although I will eat wild-picked morels. It's impossible to confuse morels for another species.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Chicken and dumplings - my mother used to make this dish all the time. The texture is just too gross.

Sunny side up eggs, poached eggs....any type of egg dish where the yolk is drippy. Yuck! My best friend dips her toast in it...makes me want to hurl.

Raw oysters are also a food I wouldn't touch.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I was in a restaurant in Toronto the one and only time I ate snails. Of course, they were identified on the menu as "escargot". Can anything be more pretentious?!?

Anyway, they were awash with melted butter and garlic, so that was the taste. As far as the morsel itself, it was rather like chewing the eraser on a pencil. So I don't eat them but I also don't consider them mainstream - at least not in the U.S. of A.
They're very mainstream here, and escargot is French for snails. It's a French dish. I don't see how you got "pretentious" from that. Do you consider "coq au vin", "croissant" and "baguette" pretentious, as well?

Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
These sounds like excellent things to avoid. Do I even want to know what "souse" is?
Souse is absolutely delicious.
Souse - What is Souse?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:27 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I won't eat packaged mix things like scalloped potatoes or Suddenly Salad or other pretend foods which are a poor, and overpriced version of real food.
Once in awhile I'll use a cake mix, but only for emergencies. I will use spaghetti sauce. but I mix it with other things.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

Most other edibles I'll try. I might not ever eat them again, but I'll try them. Fried brains, tried them - nope, none for me.
i think id skip the fried brains too

although, when younger , i was hunting with my native american indian buddy, and after he pulled out the deer heart when field dressing,, he sliced a chunk off and ate it,,,then gave me a chunk.. so i ate it too,,,wasnt too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink