Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times

Advertisements

The cost of living varies greatly across the country, as does the cost of food. A standard market basket, as used by the government in their monthly surveys could cost $80 one place, and $170 somewhere else.

That's why it doesn't mean much to ask how much people spend without knowing where they live, and what the Consumer Price index is there. $70 might be low for one location and high for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
We also spend just over $70/wk. in the Bay area. My husband is vegetarian so we save a lot of money by not buying much meat. I eat chicken several times a week. We like yogurt so I make our own. We don't eat as much as we did when we were younger but I still find myself buying more than I should at times. We also avoid the chain grocery stores in this area as they are expensive. Friday I shopped at a local produce store and paid less than a dollar each for mangos and .29/lb for onions, .39/lb. for a few red onions. I think I would pass on a $7 melon and eat a few more mangos or avacados. That reminds me, time to make an avacado and cheese sanwhich for lunch, along with a smoothy!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,092,215 times
It looks like I might be about on target with $70 a week for two persons. I have to eat low carbs, low fat and no sodium, so it does take some special food. Fish and chicken are the two mainstays for me but I fix Mr. Chickie some beef and pork too. The veggies and fruits are the most expensive. We do buy some meat from local farmers too. For some reason vegetables and seasonal fruits have not gone down in the grocery stores in Central Illinois.

I've been going to the farmer's market, but by the time I drive 25 miles to get there from our rural house, I'm not saving with the high price of gas. The local farmers haven't had any produce stands this year after they lost big money last year with our horrible drought here. I don't think they planted their normal big produce amounts. Right now we are having a sort of drought, so maybe they were right in not planting huge amounts this year.

Thanks for your comments, it's interesting to see how others compare.

Last edited by rural chick; 08-18-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
Depends if I'm having steak several times a week, or something like my lunch.... Which I got from my garden.

I grow the garden for convinance (it's a long way to town)

But it is also a significant cost savings.

Hunting or raising animals is also a inexpensive way to get superior quality food.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
We spend a lot for groceries for two of us but we eat very well and my husband is diabetic so I have to watch carefully what is on the menu and account for everything. We do not have a lot of pasta, breads, rice or other high carbohydrate foods because of his diabetes. If he wants something specific I plan for it and he eats accordingly since whatever item it is has been worked into his daily consumption.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:48 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
I'm glad I'm not feeding 3 teenage boys anymore! I spend more for just me and hub than I used to for a family of 5 back in the 90's and 2000's. Everything is so much more expensive now! I don't have an Aldi near where we live now, and we do try to eat very healthy: lots of fresh fruits & veggies, seafood, chicken, nuts, whole grain products. Practically no junk food, and very little red meat.

I spend at least $130-150 per week, but that includes 3 or 4 bottles of inexpensive ($10-15) bottles of wine (heart healthy).

Old 08-18-2013, 02:56 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
It's two of us in our household and I spend $80-$100 a week if I go to Stop and shop, if I go to Aldi's then I spend $65.00 to $75.00 that week. I used to spend $120 to $140.00 a week. Our financial situation has changed and I have to try and spend under $100. We eat healthy too, lots of chicken, red meat once a week, I make different pasta dishes, we do eat fresh fruits and veggies. I look for sales and buy what's on sale that week. I do clip coupons but I am not one of those extreme coupon queens. I buy chicken in family sized packages which I wrap individually and put in large freezer bags. I just pull out what I need for dinner. I'll make marinara sauce and freeze some of it too. The only time I go over budget is if I am having people over for dinner. I love fish but it's so expensive and I only buy it occasionally.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:10 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
It really depends on where you live. Where I live I can barely leave the store for less than $60 for myself.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
I spend about $50-60 a week, on average, for one person. That does include some toiletries and cleaning supplies that I buy at the grocery store though.

I'm not terribly frugal when it comes to food shopping for myself, though. I buy a lot of fresh/in season fruits and vegetables, use quality olive oil instead of regular cooking oil, tend to buy Kashi, Pepperidge Farm etc cookies instead of the much cheaper ones, Peets coffee, and often splurge on deli/artisan-type cheeses and various goodies from the "International foods" aisles.

I could do a lot better! But I do enjoy eating good food.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
It probably takes $80 a week to feed just me. I can't eat 90% of all vegetables so that complicates things. I love meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink