Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times

Advertisements

Around here, the local franchisee for Five Guys has introduced 3 sizes for fries. They have Little, Normal and a larger size, which is probably enough to feed a football team, based on the regular size.

In this area, we have a local chain that blows all other hamburger places away, Char Grill. Best Hamburger | Hot Dogs | Shakes | Fries | Raleigh NC | Char-Grill They have tried to franchise in the past, but never really pushed it and they used to want people to do a stand alone store, which cost too much. They have recently developed a more typical in-line store and hopefully they will get some traction. If not, I will be happy knowing I live in the one place where Five Guys never wins best burger in the local happenings papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Five Guys makes it right in front of you just the same and to your specifications. Not hard to request it. But thanks for the tip.

As for overpriced - if I'm not going to bother to take the time and effort to make one myself, $4+ is the going rate. Look at the Big Mac or Whopper at $4.79 without a promo. $5.50 for a burger at Five Guys (no In-and-Out here) is a good deal.
and this is what makes In&Out so very popular: It is only $2 or actually a little less. BTW, are you telling me you pay $4.79 for a Whopper? Wow, you are being royally ripped off. I am not saying Five Guys isn't a good burger, I am saying it is more expensive than other fast food burgers. I have no idea how much a Big Mac costs today. I haven't had one in years.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My take on the burger wars.

5 Guys - great burger on a poor bun. Put the burger on a decent bun and it would be pretty good.

In and Out - They have the "coors" affect with limited distribution. Actually, I like Culver's or Steak and Shake better as their burgers are pretty identical.

Whataburger - simply the best burger I have had this year. Good service to boot.

Fatburger - a decent burger but grossly overpriced.

Harvey's - The WORST hamburger I have had in years. Grossly overcooked (the grill cook was using a thermometer on it). The texture of the meat reminded me of the TVP burgers that we were served under the school lunch program. In hindsight, I should have ordered it without the burger.
Steak and Shake is the one my son loves. I have only had one, it was several years ago when they came to the Dallas area. That particular franchise has closed. Anyway, the meat patty was so thin, you could hold it up and it looked like someone had shot holes in it. I guess I should give them another try. We do have one not too far from us.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Toward the end of my trip out west, three of us went to Five Guys. The other two had never been there. None of us had any problems affording the meal, although after eating at I N O several times during the previous two weeks, it was apparent we all felt the difference in cost. Price aside, though, both newcomers like 5Guys better, especially the fries. I N O fries taste like processed potatoes stamped out in the shape of fries, compared to 5 guys. Very dry.

Also, because I N O is so much cheaper, the crowd was always too big and it took much longer to get the food ordered and made, than it did at 5 guys.

5 guys could toast their buns a little better than they do. This time when I went I noticed that it was toasted, but if I didn't look for it I would have never known. Probably using real butter would work. Butter WITH salt!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I love them both, but Five Guys burgers and fries portion sizes are too large! I have to get the "mini-burger" when I am at Five Guys.
This^^. The small size is perfect for me! I actually LOVE the Five Guys grilled cheese...I swear it's my favorite.

Never had an In and Out burger...no locations near me. Was just in Vegas and had no time to get there. Maybe one day.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Five Guys has recently opened a couple of locations here in the Toronto area.

My wife and I went in for a look and walked right out again, when we figured out that two burgers, with fires and pop, were going to add up to about Twenty Eight Dollars, plus food tax. That was WAY too much, for ANY hamburger place to charge. Especially when the same order at other places here would be half or two thirds of that amount of money.

We went to Harvey's, which is a Canadian chain that has been in business here since 1959. Two burgers, two orders of fries and large drinks comes to about $14.

Jim B

Toronto.

I agree they are high...one of the main reasons we rarely eat there. But we always share a fry (they are HUGE) and get the little burgers, and share a drink. So for us, it's about $16, plus tax.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
after reading Rainroosties post I guess I'm not going to 5 Guys. Or Philly. Food nazis!

Went to Fuddruckers in Vermont about ten years ago, Dad was all excited like it was a big deal. I was not impressed.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I was just in Bethesda the other day and saw a new burger joint going in called Smashburger. I see they are all over the country. Does anybody have any experience with them?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
You need five guts to finish a Five Guys meal.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I was just in Bethesda the other day and saw a new burger joint going in called Smashburger. I see they are all over the country. Does anybody have any experience with them?
They make specialty hamburgers and personally as far as hamburgers go, I like them. But I prefer Five Guys when it comes to national chains of specialty burgers.

But my favorite burger BY FAR is a Jucy Burger.
Jucys Hamburgers - Voted Best Burger in East Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink