Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times

Advertisements

Which is a better value/more frugal to use as a broth in homemade soups---canned broth or bouillon cubes? Will both give equally satisfactory outcomes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Bouillon cubes and/or granulated are more economical. I prefer them to canned myself when I cook. Wife buys some canned and the big cartons of broth for making chicken and dumplings and such. Maggi's and Knorr are both excellent cubed and granulated bouillon. If you become accustomed to their use you will have good results.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
When I make a homemade soup all of it has to be homemade. I make the broth myself .

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
...and yes, of course everyone will tell you making your own is the way to go. I'm sure it is if you have the time and the know how! But with the question being..
Quote:
Canned Broth vs Bouillon Cubes

I prefer the cubes or granulated. I take the easy way out.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
I prefer to buy chicken or beef stock rather than broth. It is much more condensed and more tasty. The bouillon cubes really make the foodstuff salty so I try not to use these.

If you are watching sodium content, Swanson makes unsalted broth in cardboard type boxes and it's pretty tasty...then you can add your own sodium/salt. Swanson also has flavor boost for more intense flavor. Also available at places like Walmart are chicken and beef base in a jar, which can substitute for broth or bouillon.

The vegetable broth from Aldi's has a nice taste.

But best of all is making my own broth/stock!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
For pure frugality, you'd be better off not using any stock at all, and accepting a dry, tasteless meal.

If you want to add cheap flavor, and don't care what that flavor is, or whether or not it's even good for you, bullion is serviceable.

If you want affordable flavor, care about the flavor, and want it to be at least "not bad for you" even if it isn't especially "good" for you, then get the boxed or canned variety - I use the boxed organic, it's $1.00/box, and the box size I use is good for one whole beef roast in the crockpot (which means - $1 for 6 servings).

I keep a couple cubes of bullion in my cupboard, but I don't know why. I put them in there 12 years ago and I usually just shove them to the back when I'm refilling the cupboard after a grocery shopping trip.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I make my own and keep several bags or cartons in the freezer, but if I am going to buy it, I prefer the canned. That being said, it is so easy to do yourself and so much more flavor. Of course, like Anonchick said; if you don't want any flavor and really want to save money, don't use either. After thank the cubes are cheaper. Until about 2 years ago I did use canned. I always had a few cans in the pantry. In the days of using cubes, I would buy them and keep them for years, then toss them. obviously I wasn't crazy over using them.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
I keep bouillon cubes on hand. However, when I boil chicken I always save the stock. I even boil my chicken wings instead of frying prior to coating in buffalo sauce. I also freeze it.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,743 times
I buy Costco 0rganic chicken stock .Cost is under 12 dollars for 6 quart pack

Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM

136 posts, read 381,859 times
Hmmm? Cubes or Canned?

Cubes more economical...Canned better flavor.

HOWEVER...

I use neither. Instead, I use a base made by LeGout. Domestic brands also available.
It's the best of both worlds. You get the convience of cubes and a "natural" taste has you would from canned.
It cost about $6. for a one pound container. Package says one container makes 5gal. however,
I like my broth less intense in flavor. I get approximately 7gal from this product.
Use what you need from the container. Preparing the entire amount isn't nessasary or required by package directions.
I also like the fact that it's a meat first product rather than salt first.
Meaning the very first item listed in the package ingredients is meat.
Can be found in chicken, beef, ham, pork, lobster, clam, mushroom and vegetable varieties.

If you can't find it in your market, It can be found at any of the bulk or cash n' carry stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink