Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I don't have a recipe for the sweet potato hash browns outside of my own head based on what I've made before, and I've changed my plans slightly because I was worried about the hash browns crisping up due to the moisture of the roasted vegetables. I think this will work better.

Southwestern sweet potato croquettes

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
Butter and half and half
Two poblanos, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
Three roasted garlic cloves, minced
1/2 a small yellow onion, roasted and chopped (I do all this roasting in my toaster oven)
zest of 1/2 a lime
1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
Chili powder and cumin, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1-2 T. canola oil

Boil sweet potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain water, then mash with a few knobs of butter, adding half and half to reach desired consistency. Mix in vegetables, zest, and cheese. Taste and add chili powder and cumin a t. or so at a time until you like it. Then correct with salt and pepper. Lime juice might be good too--at this point in the recipe I'll be going by taste. (I plan to do this the day before, and then stop here until the bird is resting when I'll proceed with frying them up).

Roll this mixture into little balls, pressing to flatten a bit. Heat the oil in a large skillet, and fry these in batches until browned and hot. As you go, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve with the sour cream side.

Sour cream accompaniment

1/2 c. of sour cream
juice of 1 lime plus 1 t. zest
2 T. minced cilantro
2 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
2 cloves minced roasted garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and serve with croquettes (I'll also make this a day ahead)

Martha Stewart has a recipe for sweet and spicy cranberry sauce. I plan to make it like this. Saute minced shallot a 1-2 serranos in butter. Then proceed to make the traditional cranberry sauce (the OceanSpray recipe will do, or whatever you usually use). I'm going to use lime juice instead of orange, probably the juice of one to start; I'll just cook until the berries pop like usual. Epicurious has a recipe kind of like this for a relish, but I prefer sauce. So this recipe is kind of inspired by a few different sources.

I rarely meet a recipe that I don't want to mess with. Any thoughts on any of this would be welcome. Lucky for me, Mrdiva is happy to eat my experiments.
Mr Cuban chic also loves when I play with food. Will most likely add your hot cranberries sauce to the feast, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Mr Cuban chic also loves when I play with food. Will most likely add your hot cranberries sauce to the feast, thanks!
Cubanchic, I just repped you and forgot to sign it, but you are a girl after my own heart. If you make these cranberries, please report back about how they turned out. I *think* it will be delicious, especially given the Southwestern theme I'm going for, and in theory it should be given the sweet/spicy/savory combo of flavors. But, tweaks are always welcome. Happy Thanksgiving to all whether you try something new or go with the tried and true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink