Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
I have to work on Thanksgiving. I work in the resteraunt industry, so I am going insanly busy cooking lots of food.
Hope you get to eat some of what you cook or hope someone will cook for you when you get off work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 AM

302 posts, read 499,805 times
Well - I was not going to cook due to low energy and such from my fibromyalgia. Also was not going to due to finances as hubby got laid off and we have been totally pinching pennies and living off my SSDI.

That said, MIL has basically begged me to cook. She will buy all of the food, including my special need for my dietary problems, if I will cook. Looks like our dinner will consist of: Turkey, stuffing, vegan mashed potatoes, mac & cheese (2 kinds, regular and vegan), my roasted acorn squash with apple nut stuffing (vegan and gluten free), green beans, roasted potatoes, carrots, celery, brussel sprouts and onion, pecan pie, pumpkin pie and apple pie (vegan & gluten free). Let's not forget the giblet gravy and cranberry fruity jello. That's for 6 and plenty of leftovers.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
100% completely traditional, we don't like to mix it up on Thanksgiving, Christmas is our wildcard.

Turkey stuffed with lemon, lime and oranges
Boxed Stuffing, because that's how we roll.
Mashed potatoes
Mashed squash
Traditional greenbean casserole
Glazed yams
Green Salad that no one eats as we are carb loading.
Wine/sparkling cider
Blueberry and Apple Pie (This is crazy for us as we usually do pumpkin and pecan)
Cranberry Sauce

I can't imagine our family ever diverging for this, we crave this meal all year long!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
wine all day, pinot noir new zealand, followed by a crab leg feast, and followed by cherry pie and more wine.
I like your plan. Have a good one!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
We will have family with all turkey and all the usual trimmings. In addition my son wants pasta. Either his sister will make a big dish of homemade lasagna or mom will cook up some spaghetti.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
crawfish and shrimp-stuffed pasta shells
deviled eggs - cheese straws
honey-glazed Cornish hens with stuffing
spinach-mushroom stuffed pork roast
Loaded baked potato soup
spinach with bacon dressing
cranberry sauce and homemade chunky applesauce
biscuits
strawberry tarts and sweet potato pies
Oh and lots of liquor

Old 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Mrdiva and I will be making a turkey, either roasted or fried. Then:

Garlic mashed potatoes
Traditional sage bread stuffing with apples and walnuts
Southwestern succotash
Sweet potato hash browns with roasted poblanos, onions, and garlic (lime-cilantro sour cream)
Sweet heat cranberries

Pumpkin pie custard with whipped cream (no crust-no fuss)

I haven't figured out an appetizer yet--maybe just cheese and crackers.

Also cramosas (like a mimosa but with cranberry juice) and wine.
Wow that sounds really good love to get the recipe for the sweet potato hash brown and the sweet heat cranberries.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Wow that sounds really good love to get the recipe for the sweet potato hash brown and the sweet heat cranberries.
Me too.. Sound good

Old 11-18-2013, 03:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
just passing on

the usda (and fsis) up to 2008, recommended poultry be cooked to 180 degrees, after 2008, they say 165 is sufficient to be done, and also be sure the temp kills any potential bacteria

Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I don't have a recipe for the sweet potato hash browns outside of my own head based on what I've made before, and I've changed my plans slightly because I was worried about the hash browns crisping up due to the moisture of the roasted vegetables. I think this will work better.

Southwestern sweet potato croquettes

4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
Butter and half and half
Two poblanos, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
Three roasted garlic cloves, minced
1/2 a small yellow onion, roasted and chopped (I do all this roasting in my toaster oven)
zest of 1/2 a lime
1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
Chili powder and cumin, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1-2 T. canola oil

Boil sweet potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain water, then mash with a few knobs of butter, adding half and half to reach desired consistency. Mix in vegetables, zest, and cheese. Taste and add chili powder and cumin a t. or so at a time until you like it. Then correct with salt and pepper. Lime juice might be good too--at this point in the recipe I'll be going by taste. (I plan to do this the day before, and then stop here until the bird is resting when I'll proceed with frying them up).

Roll this mixture into little balls, pressing to flatten a bit. Heat the oil in a large skillet, and fry these in batches until browned and hot. As you go, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve with the sour cream side.

Sour cream accompaniment

1/2 c. of sour cream
juice of 1 lime plus 1 t. zest
2 T. minced cilantro
2 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
2 cloves minced roasted garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and serve with croquettes (I'll also make this a day ahead)

Martha Stewart has a recipe for sweet and spicy cranberry sauce. I plan to make it like this. Saute minced shallot and 1-2 serranos in butter. Then proceed to make the traditional cranberry sauce (the OceanSpray recipe will do, or whatever you usually use). I'm going to use lime juice instead of orange, probably the juice of one to start; I'll just cook until the berries pop like usual. Epicurious has a recipe kind of like this for a relish, but I prefer sauce. So this recipe is kind of inspired by a few different sources.

I rarely meet a recipe that I don't want to mess with. Any thoughts on any of this would be welcome. Lucky for me, Mrdiva is happy to eat my experiments.

Last edited by diva360; 11-18-2013 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: "a" is not the same as "and"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink