Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
What about a fresh ham from your local butcher. That's what my mom always bought for Christmas dinner in the past.
A fresh ham would be a complete bust for most as they want a SMOKED product, not a roasted fresh ham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 PM

537 posts, read 740,324 times
Highly recommend:

Virginia Country Ham :: Hickory-Smoked Virginia Country Ham :: Virginia Traditions

Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A fresh ham would be a complete bust for most as they want a SMOKED product, not a roasted fresh ham.
We actually prefer the cured products best. I haven't had a fresh but I suspect I would probably prefer that over the store fake tasting smoked ham that is commonly found. (I have had homemade smoked ham and that was delicious)

Old 11-19-2013, 06:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
I am in the Carolinas and we get a locally sourced country ham. Love this for breakfast with eggs, biscuits and red eye gravy. Have to try the Virginia and see what's the difference.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I want to do a ham for Thanksgiving dinner and saw they have several kinds. I know I don't want the preseasoned/glazed one and prefer to do it myself.

Which cut do you recommend? And why? (better flavor, less bone etc?) I see shank, shoulder, half, butt etc. I would like more meat than fat if that makes a difference.
I would head over to your neighborhood premium/full service supermarket's Meat Department and see what they offer. Sometimes these places are a little pricey, but they offer quality meat and produce in exchange for those high prices.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:34 PM

537 posts, read 740,324 times
Quote:
I am in the Carolinas and we get a locally sourced country ham. Love this for breakfast with eggs, biscuits and red eye gravy. Have to try the Virginia and see what's the difference.
Now THAT'S a good breakfast there!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Which cut do you recommend? And why? (better flavor, less bone etc?) I see shank, shoulder, half, butt etc. I would like more meat than fat if that makes a difference.
The "butt half" is high on the haunches. It has more meat and less bone and costs more.

The shank half has more bone, is harder to carve, costs less, and you need it if you are going to make bean soup the week after. That is the half of the hindquarter that is closer to the foot. The flavor should be the same as the butt half.

Apparently, "butt" is also used for a shoulder ham in some areas of the country , but that looks really different. Shoulder ham is called a "picnic ham" in my area. It is smaller, has more bone, a lot more fat, is harder to carve, and has the best flavor, in my opinion. Picnic ham looks rather round-ish. Butt half will have a very clear, flat, slice of ham look at one end, as does the shank half,

A whole ham, which is both the butt half and the shank half, not cut apart, is a very large roast. Only buy of you are expect a huge guest list. Ham doesn't freeze well and can only be frozen for a few months. Try not to have 20 pounds of leftover ham.

If you don't want to carve around bone, you can buy a boneless ham or a Black Forest ham. My opinion is that the boneless ham is rarely as good as the whole ham with the bone still in it. Black Forest ham, it entiorely depends upon how much you paid for it. It can be excellent, but good Black Forest ham is not cheap.

If you want a good ham for the holidays, the secret is to stay away from the cheap brands that are offered on sale for a very low price. They will be chemical cured and taste like chemicals.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
I buy the cheapo Cook's ham shank or butt and soak it in water at least overnight, preferably for three days. It still tastes like ham but it's much less salty and never dries out.

If you are looking for the beautiful Norman Rockwell ham for presentation, go with the better cuts.

Cover the top of the ham with foil and the big edge won't dry out or burn.

Is there a non chemical cure? I never thought about that.

Of course, if I really wanted to go high on the hog I would go to Oscar's Smokehouse and get me a real smoked ham. You can order online nowadays. The smoked kielbasa is to die for.

I roast in a low oven for at least four hours to get the fat to render. If there is a lot of fat I trim it.

My aunt always takes the bone for pea soup, I have one in the freezer for jer and plan to buy another ham Saturday, they are on sale.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
The butt portion is the one with more meat. Never the shank. My mother was an expert and I made sure to know which one was the best.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I buy shoulder hams and trim all the visible fat off. (ham is fatty enough) Then I wash it well and put it into my slow cooker without any liquid or seasonings. It cooks in its own juice. I slow cook it for 6-8 hours and it comes out wonderfully tender and just about falls off the bone. How easy is that?

All the juice (about 1-2 inches) in the bottom can be used for soup the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink