Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Miss the old soda fountains, where you could sit down and watch your treat being made.
My town still has two original soda fountains; one is in the original pharmacy. Due to coming from a long line of early vascular disease victims (one grandmother died of a stroke at 35 and at age 59 I've also outlived the other, and am closing in on my mother, who died at age 60), I don't eat anything they serve there, but it's kind of cool to see it still exists, and does a big business. They make milkshakes and malts that fill 2 large glasses and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:12 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
I'm not only interested in how the atmosphere of restaurants have changed. I am interested in how menus have changed - besides higher prices, of course. Look at a menu from the 1950s to the 1970s on the Internet. See what dishes used to be common but are now hard to find.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:59 AM

537 posts, read 740,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I'm not only interested in how the atmosphere of restaurants have changed. I am interested in how menus have changed - besides higher prices, of course. Look at a menu from the 1950s to the 1970s on the Internet. See what dishes used to be common but are now hard to find.
I'm noticing a trend lately of menus to have gone from the multi-paged to single or double-sided single sheets. Way smaller menus and fewer selections.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM

107 posts, read 164,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Like sitting in your car at A&W and the server would take your order and then a plastic tray would be put on the outside of your car with the food on it , and would get cold if your did not take it in , and the burgers where the best , and any pizza crust was like card board with tomato sauce , and the soft drinks never had a plastic top those where the days

I miss those days ~

Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 AM

107 posts, read 164,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
I'm noticing a trend lately of menus to have gone from the multi-paged to single or double-sided single sheets. Way smaller menus and fewer selections.

I noticed the same thing, why is that?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
It seems like yesterday you could order a nice steak dinner for $8.00.

Try 30- 50 bucks today.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
I never went out to eat with my folks, they didn't go either. There weren't that many fast food places. My mom cooked ALL our meals. Most folks we knew couldn't afford it anyway. But when I was a teen and someone took me to the soda fountain in the drug store, now that was something, had a big chocolate shake. What a treat. My first dining out experience. I also remember Bob's Big Boy in Phoenix. (50's) Burgers were like .10

Of course times were different then. They didn't have all these shopping centers and eateries to choose from. We've just gradually evolved into folks who shop and eat out all the time. It's an easy habit to get into!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
I noticed the same thing, why is that?
I noticed that too, except for some local restaurants (not chains) that serve breakfast, lunch and
dinner. A while ago, I watched a few episodes of "Restaurant Impossible" where Robert Irvine
goes into restaurants that are close to shutting down and he said they should reduce the
size of the menu (one page) which would yield better profits.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Yeah, same thing on Bar Rescue, a smaller menu is better, less waste, better quality, supposedly.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Here is a menu from the Knickerbocker, a Memphis restaurant from the 1960s and 1970s. It offers "English Mixed Grill", "English Stuffed Pork Chop", and "Roast Tom Turkey - Cranberry Sauce" among other fare that may not be seen in many restaurants nowadays (at least not under those names).

Historic Memphis Restaurants and High School Hang-outs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink