Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 PM

99,576 posts, read 4,492,993 times

Advertisements

I first tasted Kentucky Fried Chicken in 1963 and loved it throughout that decade. Last year, I decided to try it after not eating it for about 20 years. It was repulsive. No one can tell me that the current "KFC" is the same product that I had 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Even as a kid I didn't like that stuff. The smell is horrible to me.. Smells like puke. Of course... I think that Bradford Pear tree blooms smell like cat ****.

The only thing that I can think of is Chicken Pot Pies.. And I can't think of the company.. Oh, it's Banquet.. They used to come in their own little aluminum pan.. Non microwaveable.. Once they switched over to allow them to be microwaved.. Just went to crap. I even tried cooking them in the oven.. Not the same. I'm guessing they changed the pastry involved in them.. Perhaps not, it might just be the fact that they aren't cooked in that little metal pie pan anymore.
Just had Banquet chicken pie for breakfast today. It was yummy.
I agree about the tree blooms, so many around my area smell like pi$$ or weed.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
I first tasted Kentucky Fried Chicken in 1963 and loved it throughout that decade. Last year, I decided to try it after not eating it for about 20 years. It was repulsive. No one can tell me that the current "KFC" is the same product that I had 50 years ago.
I have heard the same thing from a lot of people. Is it because we've had too much of it, since it's been around all our lives (like McDonalds has) and we're just sick of it? Or has the quality, especially the chicken itself that is used, gone down?

I don't remember the skin being "loose" on the chicken like it is now. The skin wants to slide off the chicken all in one pice, and it's "flabby". I don't eat it anymore, and like you, I used to absolutely love it, it really was finger-lickin' good. Oh, and it's so expensive now too!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:48 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I bought some Green Giant mixed brocolli and vegetable-type combo tonight because I was short on time and needed some vegetables to go with some stir-fry and rice I made. Haven't bougut frozen vegetables in a long time and this will be the last tim. Paid over $2.00 for what amounted to about a 1/2 cup of sorry looking vegetable "pieces", only one actual brocolli crown in the whole package. Wish I had time to post a picture as opposed to the photo on the packaging.

Turned the package over and I see it's a Product of Mexico. No wonder. How do you say Ho-Ho-Phoey in Spanish?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Agreed, the food companies are starting to skimp to make more $$. American cheese invididually wrapped, tastes way different. Calories used to be higher, so now the slices are thinner to appease the fat police, and it is not as creamy, more oil in the formulation I am guessing. I buy the deli stuff now. Way better.
I no longer buy pre-prepared stuff for the most part. The food companies charge too much for an inferior product and all you are paying for is the packaging and the advertising.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Living currently in Northeastern Pennsylvania and will agree with you. The KFC is gross! But 2 years ago I was living in Southern Alabama and the KFC was fantastic. Just like back in the sixties. Don't know why the difference, but there is.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Living currently in Northeastern Pennsylvania and will agree with you. The KFC is gross! But 2 years ago I was living in Southern Alabama and the KFC was fantastic. Just like back in the sixties. Don't know why the difference, but there is.
Franchise business

Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Beef and pork. I don't know if it's breeding, processing, diet, or all of the above. I think the pork is largely because they've bred all the fat out of it. Bacon and sausage still taste mostly the same but pork chops and loin more often than not have no flavor. Most of the beef tastes and smells terrible no matter how fatty it is. The beef and pork the Amish sell still tastes good.

Probably watermelons too, but maybe I just didn't notice all the crappy ones back in the day. Buying one from the grocery store is a major roll of the dice and the odds aren't in your favor.

Jalapenos. The heat and flavor has been bred out of them and they're huge and light green. The characteristic jalapeno flavor is mostly gone, now they have a more generic bell pepper-type of flavor. The ones I grow and the ones from Mexican markets taste normal but the ones from regular grocery store are no good.

Blackberries. Supermarkets usually sell gigantic insipid blackberries that aren't very sweet, are too firm, and take abnormally long to go bad. Mulberries now have more flavor than the average supermarket blackberry. Raspberries also to a lesser extent.

Supermarket tomatoes suck, but they sucked when I was a kid. They had already been ruined by then.

It's not all because of aging taste buds. I'm only 31 and my palate is a lot better now than it used to be. A lot of is due to breeding for production and shelf life at the expense of flavor.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
They also messed with Breyers ice cream making it "creamier" with some sort of additives. I don't like it anymore.
Yeah, whatever happened to "just cream, sugar, and vanilla beans"? I agree it tastes odd now, too.

May be just my taste buds, but Kraft Mac N' Cheese and Chef Boyardee now taste like the containers that they are packaged in.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Two of my favorites that taste different: Spam & Gyros, they are making the Gyros less spicy and ruining them. Spam doesn't come with all that jell anymore.
Absolutely agree about SPAM losing that delicious spam "jelly" haha, I noticed that was missing and found out that Hormel changed the SPAM formulation many years ago by adding modified potato starch. So now I prefer Walmart Great Value Luncheon meat which people say is made with the original SPAM formulation and is the closest I get to that great original SPAM taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink