Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No different than the bewildered, non-trusting look when bringing some non-big city person to a non-chain restaurant, and they still end up ordering close to what they are use to (or nothing at all), because they are scared to ever try something new or something besides yet another variation of a hamburger or pizza.
True, but not necessarily a function of urban vs suburbs.

I took a bunch of Central NJ students to Chicago for a competition last year. These kids go to the city, fairly often. Being the "food snob" that I am, we ate in non-chain style places. One of the kids had a melt down, because the breakfast place we went to only served crepes instead of pancakes and she wouldn't try them. She wouldn't even eat a bagel! After we all ate (and she pouted), we took her to McDonalds so she could get pancakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Wow, interesting responses. I am particularly surprised there have been a few bashing Red Lobster. I actually ate there last month and LOVED IT! I love OG to but not as much *shrugs*. I'm sorry I have such a horrible taste in food.
Do you not live near some place with real seafood?

And it isn't the fact its a chain, Legal Seafood is a chain and its not bad at all, if a bit overpriced.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
If you know someplace that offers "real seafood" in small town Kansas let me know lol.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
While I wouldn't be surprised if a Red Lobster in Hawaii had a few specials that are good, but I don't think their signature meals would benefit from being in Hawaii (i.e. Maine Lobster and Alaska Crab).

I don't think that RL is awful, but I don't think it's that cheap either. If you live anywhere close to the ocean I'm certain that you could find smaller places with better prices (and better quality) than Red Lobster.
Well, the Red Lobster I went to was awful but there was no other seafood restaurant around. And, of
course in Hawaii (and I would think along the east and west coasts) their Maine Lobster & Alaskan Crab
would be far better than in Mayberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
If you know someplace that offers "real seafood" in small town Kansas let me know lol.
I can understand, but hey, some suggestions were to take a drive several hours away.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:01 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think most of you are missing the point, it's not about the food it's about manners. I am a foodie, but if I am visiting someone I accept what they offer without comment. If they want to take me to a chain restaurant, I go. If they want to serve me processed cheese spread, I eat it. I may suggest a place I would rather eat, but never be snobby about it. Just like they should suck it up and eat whatever you want to eat when they visit you in the big city.

My mother has graciously eaten sushi, pate, quail eggs, etc...

So I will graciously eat chili cheese dogs, chicken fried steak, and processed cheese spread casseroles.

We have also learned to enjoy it. life is too short to be ugly to friends and loved ones.
Exactly. People who look for the good in situations, and the goodness in other human beings are WAY happier more fulfilled people, IMO.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
I am spoiled. During my dark ages I ate at Arby's, and Friday's. Then I moved close to Las Vegas, became Vegan and discovered at least 5 Ethiopian restaurants, hundreds of Asian places to eat, and you name it ! I love being waited on by someone who treats me with respect. The surroundings are important to me ! I like soft music, not screaming Redneck caterwauling. Water ? It had better not taste like chlorine ! I could go on, but you are probably bored with me already.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Well, there are four Red Lobster restaurants in New York City (Times Square, W. 125th Street, one each in the boroughs of Brooklyn and the Bronx) and only one in my town, so I will have to get my nose up in the air and some day ask the sophisticated urbanites there how they can even manage to stay in business. No truly sophisticated city needs more than one.

New York City also has three Olive Gardens (Times Square, Avenue of the Americas, and one in Brooklyn) while there is one in my town. I checked both restaurants' websites.

Both of these restaurants have several additional restaurants in the NYC suburbs. They both make plenty of $$$$ serving to NYC metro area residents.

To the small town residents, next time you suggest one of these two to a visiting New Yorker and they object, tell them about these seven restaurants in their own city and ask how on earth do they manage to even stay open. Food for thought! Pun intended!

The main point, however, is about having manners and class, realizing it is just one meal in your life.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Well, there are four Red Lobster restaurants in New York City (Times Square, W. 125th Street, one each in the boroughs of Brooklyn and the Bronx) and only one in my town, so I will have to get my nose up in the air and some day ask the sophisticated urbanites there how they can even manage to stay in business. No truly sophisticated city needs more than one.

New York City also has three Olive Gardens (Times Square, Avenue of the Americas, and one in Brooklyn) while there is one in my town. I checked both restaurants' websites.

Both of these restaurants have several additional restaurants in the NYC suburbs. They both make plenty of $$$$ serving to NYC metro area residents.

To the small town residents, next time you suggest one of these two to a visiting New Yorker and they object, tell them about these seven restaurants in their own city and ask how on earth do they manage to even stay open. Food for thought! Pun intended!

The main point, however, is about having manners and class, realizing it is just one meal in your life.
There were a few Red Lobsters in Montreal, but they closed their doors and went out of business. People didn't like the food.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

New York has millions of tourists visit every year. Maybe they are going to those restaurants because they are familiar to them. Think about it--is a person who lives in New York City likely to ever eat out in Times Square? I don't think so! But, I haven't surveyed every New Yorker, so I wouldn't know where they eat.

Seriously, I bet office workers at least get lunch in those chain places in New York. When I worked in the Flatiron district, there was a woman in my office who wanted to have her birthday lunch every year in the Outback down the street because she liked their sweet potato fries. There are a ton of wonderful, independent restaurants in that area, but she wanted friggin' Outback. I'm sure she's not the only person like that.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:

When you look at how large NYC is, having 4 Red Lobsters isn't many - if you work that out per capita there would be about 125-150 Red Lobsters nationwide, instead there are over 650. And as mentioned, two of them are obviously geared towards tourists. The single Red Lobster that was in downtown Chicago was aimed at tourists as well, but shut down a few years ago. The place always looked abandoned.

Also, Red Lobster is most definitely not a healthy company. They're a financial train wreck that's losing money and market share at a horrendous rate:

Quote:
Things are pretty bad at Red Lobster. Comps have fallen 4.5% and 5.2% in the past two quarters. Red Lobster has been increasing prices over the past year, so its actual popularity is declining even faster. Store traffic declined 7.3% last month, and there was a 9.9% plunge in October. Red Lobster revamped its menu 14 months ago -- adding new non-seafood dishes to appeal to landlubbers -- but it didn't work.
Olive Garden isn't doing much better. The problems these chains are facing have nothing to do with "elitism", it has to do with the fact that they aren't that cheap and the food isn't that good.

Last edited by Attrill; 02-20-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink