Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM

355 posts, read 913,384 times

Advertisements

$5 for a pint of blueberries in Florida ( not organic )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Way back when I was just starting to work, I was very poor and was 'food insecure' or whatever they call it. I never got assistance.

There was no way to buy fresh produce. The prices, for example, that downtownnola is quoting are actually quite high! $3.00 for a bag of salad greens? Try filling up on salad greens. You can instead buy 3 big boxes of generic pasta for $3.00 and actually have something to put in your belly for several days. One bag of salad greens isn't going to last anyone a week if that's all you have.

You are right in saying that junk food isn't less expensive. I think it's nuts that people without much money think shopping the dollar menu at the drive through is somehow saving them money.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is not true. There are many produce items that are NOT available for periods in the year.

You MAY be able to get strawberries year around these days. However, few are willing to pay the cost that bringing in strawberries from Chile or New Zealand during the certain weeks between the Florida/ California/Mexico seasons.

Also, the way certain crops are planted and harvested, you can encounter major shortages IN SEASON should the certain growing areas be affected by weather.
The price a person is willing to pay and the availability don't have anything to do with one another. You can get almost anything any time of the year, you just have to pay for it. That doesn't mean you can't get it.

Ever go to Trader Joes? Much of their fruits and such that are off season in the USA are brought in from the southern hemisphere.

If something isn't available because of a shortage, that is not the same thing as not being in season. Weather too doesn't mean something isn't in season, it just means although the growing season for that crop is currently in progress, unusual weather either curtails the crop production or something like that. It is still the season.

I can get strawberries and blueberries any time of year, fresh. I costs money but so what? I want it, I can pay for it so I buy it. Goes for any fruit I want to eat fresh.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
SOMEONE had to tell it like it; when I worked for various grocery stores here in Los Angeles, including VONS from 1978-85, we were among the first grocery chains to carry peaches and other tropical fruits during the winter; they were imported from Chile.

If you want to eat healthy, there's really no reason for not bein able to do so.

The obvious equalizer in this discussion is exercise; I recall reading articles over 15-20 years ago in which countries such as Germany exhorted their citizens to ride their bikes to work at a time when over 30% of the population was doing so at the time, and I'd hazard a guess that other European nations did likewise.

Have you ever seen an overweight bike messenger in NYC or anywhere else where they're as common as parking meters?

Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
I have a friend who is very, very poor, and I keep telling her all she needs is milk, eggs, cheese, potatoes and bread and she can eat boringly but reasonably well for a week for around $7 - $10.

Falls on deaf ears of course. Drive thru is easier.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:04 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I have a friend who is very, very poor, and I keep telling her all she needs is milk, eggs, cheese, potatoes and bread and she can eat boringly but reasonably well for a week for around $7 - $10.

Falls on deaf ears of course. Drive thru is easier.
I imagine that millions of Americans subsist off of those food products without the necessary fruits and vegetables for a well-rounded and healthful diet.

Drive through may be easier but it is worse - at least with the basic food items, one can decide how much fat, sodium and sugar is added into their diet.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:25 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if its organic, its worth any price,,,because its not the factory farmed, pesticide rich other fruits, that regular grocery stores sell.. thats what the nutrional nellies say

what price is too cheap for health??

this concept works for whole foods....

plenty of folks are drinking the healthy kool-aid..

just like the grass-fed old milking cow down the road from me,,they want 5.50lb ,,,thats on the hoof/half bone and fat , so its 11.00lb for what you are actually eating,,,11.00lb for 30% burger 50% chucks and round steaks, and ribs

but just because it says "grass-fed" someone will be buying these cows,,,,the meat will be tougher than a boot,,,,because its so lean,,and it will have a grassy, sour flavor..,,being a holstein cow -

all in the name of health,,
There are some things that are cheaper than others, like potatoes, brown rice (which is healthy as well as filling), beans, especially dried beans, and root veggies like beats, which can be more pricey but are filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
This topic could be equally at home here, in Current Events, Health and Fitness, or even Economics. So mods move to wherever you see fit.

This is absolute insanity. Look at the price of these blueberries. Six ounces for four bucks. In Southern California. For produce grown in Mexico. At the supposedly "low price leader" store.

That price is nothing short of extortionate. Next time you wonder why so many people can't afford *GOOD* fruits (such as these blackberries which are loaded with antioxidants), or don't even bother trying, this is why.

And tell me again how there's no inflation?

I think two of the words on the price placard got transposed. I normally buy, each week two of these containers. But not this week. Not at that price. No freaking way. Not a chance.

I'll load up on kale, vitamins, or even Doritos before I bend over for that kind of asking price.
A lot of "healthy foods" don't even keep people full for that long. I know me, I have a fast metabolism and have to eat quite a bit, so I alternate healthy meals with more filling and "unhealthy foods" throughout a day so as to conserve food and give myself the nutrients I need.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:31 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Maybe organic is over-rated for health. Before about a hundred years ago, all our ancestors ate organic and free-range foods, and got plenty of exercise in their daily lives for the most part. Yet we live longer and healthier lives each generation. Go figure.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Out of season organic fruit is overpriced? Shocking.

Less shocking that you need to eat that stuff to eat healthy.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Maybe organic is over-rated for health. Before about a hundred years ago, all our ancestors ate organic and free-range foods, and got plenty of exercise in their daily lives for the most part. Yet we live longer and healthier lives each generation. Go figure.
I've never eaten organic food and I've never had any problems with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink