Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:55 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times

Advertisements

More and more you see restaurants, bakeries etc. that sell their food online and will mail it to you. I am kind of fascinated by this in that you can order something you might like or want to try from anywhere around the world if you wanted.

Last spring for my husbands birthday we ordered 2 different cheesecakes from a well-known place highlighted on that Food Network show with Paula Dean's sons. Anyway...I make waaay better cheesecake than that and we were disappointed. It was fun though.

Do you have any places you have order from and were they good or do you have a favorite place you recommend. I wish I could remember the name of this place in NY but I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
I can't seem to find good smoked string cheese around here like I had in South Dakota so order cheese from a great place called Hennings in Wisconsin. Absolutely yummy! They have cheese "whips" too that are just long flexible string cheese, we call them cheese worms lol

As for cheesecake, we make our own so I can't help ya there

Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times
I once ordered steaks and burgers from Omahasteaks.com. Extremely dissapointed. No flavor. The desserts looked good, so I may give them another try.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I order coffee online from my former neighbourhood shop. And may be forced to order more food as I now live in a very rural area.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
If I really order something, foodwise and specialty items, I usually go to "Gevalia" Coffee (and gift items), or germandeli.com.
I got a lot of my friends (which are formost American), hooked onto German/ European items like beer, chokolate, candy etc.
The only thing what disappoints me is the fact, that neither of those 2 sites are cheap
Since I work at a local Supermarket chain as a meatcutter, I would never, ever dream of ordering meat online (for the obvious, above mentioned reason....lol )
I did try Omaha steaks a while back (it was a gift from a relative! mpf.....) and I can honestly say it was the worst meat I have ever had. Yuck!
Just felt really bad for the relative, wasting her money for junk like that....huh.
I have, however, a favorite Tiramisu dessert, coming straight from NY or NJ.......it can be ordered online, but my friend (a restaurant owner) won't tell me!!!
Best Tiramisu I have found so far here in the US!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Someone told us about a website for NY pizza-they say it's great. Going to try it and will let you know.

Last birthday my son and daughter sent me 5 lbs of mussels from Seatlle. Were they ever delicious and the 2 of us ate all 5 lbs in one sitting with lots of Italian bread.

We just got our annual Dobosh torte - my mother's go to gift from Swiss Colony-for over 40 years-I find them dry.

Also we found Omaha steaks to be overrated also.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
With Omaha Steaks you have to be very carefully the type of meet and the cut. They have a wide variety and it can either be the best steak you will ever eat or it can be the worst. That has been my experience anyway.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:53 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
With Omaha Steaks you have to be very carefully the type of meet and the cut. They have a wide variety and it can either be the best steak you will ever eat or it can be the worst. That has been my experience anyway.
Funny....and you are in Omaha too.....LOL.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Here are a few NYC purveyors you might enjoy ordering from:

todaro bros.
zabars
dean and deluca
ross and daughters
Balducci's

All have websites and I have bought food from all of them--with much delicious success.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I haven't ordered from it as I live in the UK but I love "Stonewall KitcheN"'s products and would definitely order if I lived in the US.

Stonewall Kitchen - Specialty Foods, Gifts, Gift Baskets, Kitchenware and Kitchen Accessories, Tableware, Home and Garden Décor and Accessories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink