Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Today I was going to buy me some ice cream (does not happen very often in my household ).
So I checked the labels, and guess what... a 1/2 cup serving could be anything between 40 and 120 grams!!

Of course most rich, heavy brands had 1/2 cup measured as ~60 grams. The lighter, sorbet kinds had 1/2 cup measured as 120 g.
Now compare two different ice creams that claim to deliver 220 cal per serving (1/2 cup):
1/2 cup (60g) = 220 cal & 1/2 cup (120g) = 220 cal, and you will see that the first ice cream actually has 440 cal in 120g serving...

Considering that most ice creams come in a similar pint (or nowadays a bit less than a pint) containers, it's a real mystery how they get a different number of 1/2 cup servings of it. Same with a half gallon containers.
Of course we can debate the density or compare 1/2 cup with 4 fl oz etc. Most people do not take the time, they just see 1/2 cup serving and the amount of calories...

Since 1/2 cup not equal 1/2 cup, you better check the metric amount in grams.
However, I also spotted some labels with only 1/2 cup serving size, without the gram amount.

Those are the rare moments, when I wish that we are using metric measurements, and the guessing game, and "playing with the numbers" is over. Because table spoon is not equal table spoon, cup is not equal to a cup, etc. and everything is just approximate, and if they stop posting both - the imperial AND the metric values - we will know even less ...

Here you can check various ice cream labels:
ice cream nutrition labels - Google Search

BTW: the various serving sizes apply to everything else too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I just buy the little cups of ice cream, since measuring 1/2 cup into a bowl has never gone well for me...looks too little, I decide to add a bit more, then a bit more than that the next time, and so on. So I buy little single-serving cups and have one every few days. It's more expensive that way and there's a much smaller selection of flavors, but it helps me keep track of how much I'm eating and it makes it less tempting.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:54 AM

You could also place individual scoops in a cupcake tin lined with paper baking cups, cover with saran wrap and freeze. That way you would have individual portions ready to eat.
http://img4-3.realsimple.timeinc.net...ecream_300.jpg

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Today I was going to buy me some ice cream (does not happen very often in my household ).
So I checked the labels, and guess what... a 1/2 cup serving could be anything between 40 and 120 grams!!

Of course most rich, heavy brands had 1/2 cup measured as ~60 grams. The lighter, sorbet kinds had 1/2 cup measured as 120 g.
Now compare two different ice creams that claim to deliver 220 cal per serving (1/2 cup):
1/2 cup (60g) = 220 cal & 1/2 cup (120g) = 220 cal, and you will see that the first ice cream actually has 440 cal in 120g serving...

Considering that most ice creams come in a similar pint (or nowadays a bit less than a pint) containers, it's a real mystery how they get a different number of 1/2 cup servings of it. Same with a half gallon containers.
Of course we can debate the density or compare 1/2 cup with 4 fl oz etc. Most people do not take the time, they just see 1/2 cup serving and the amount of calories...

Since 1/2 cup not equal 1/2 cup, you better check the metric amount in grams.
However, I also spotted some labels with only 1/2 cup serving size, without the gram amount.

Those are the rare moments, when I wish that we are using metric measurements, and the guessing game, and "playing with the numbers" is over. Because table spoon is not equal table spoon, cup is not equal to a cup, etc. and everything is just approximate, and if they stop posting both - the imperial AND the metric values - we will know even less ...

Here you can check various ice cream labels:
ice cream nutrition labels - Google Search

BTW: the various serving sizes apply to everything else too.
I see your point (after I checked the measuring instruments) but, much of this is marketing trickery designed to deceive the consumer.
I think there is new label legislation in the works but I'm sure there will be deceit in the new ones too.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Purchase proportional scoops..

Ice Cream Scoops | FSW

Old 05-26-2014, 08:24 PM

Yeah... but the ice cream was just an example....

Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
You can use those scoops for just about anything.. cookies -- beef slider -- meat balls --- on the commercial market side they sell numerous proportion stuff...

Old 05-27-2014, 12:43 AM

I know Tin-Man, but this is not the point of this thread. The point is the somehow misleading serving sizes printed on the labels, mainly to conceal the real amount of calories and nutrition facts (sugar, salt or fat) - per serving. Or making it hard to to compare.
If you think, you can compare 1/2 cup serving with 1/2 serving, you might be surprised to find out that they are not equal and could weight between 40 and 120 grams. (as illustrated in my ice cream example).
If the label were written correct, there would be no reason for me to measure anything.
In my example, I just wanted to say, that glancing at the label might be not enough. If there is gram amount listed, you have to compare those numbers. It's easier with ounces, because they are all exact the same weight in grams. But cups and spoons sizes might wary, therefore the calories amount will vary too.

BTW: the new nutrition labels are not going to be different. The difference is only in the look. Some numbers are bigger to spot, and the percentage amount shifted from right to left - not sure what is the point of that...

Last edited by elnina; 05-27-2014 at 12:58 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 01:00 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I always order a single scoop of hand-dipped or a small cone of soft-serve. Sometimes I get more than I asked for, but I'm never bound to eat all of it. Sometimes I just have to rely on my "common-sense."

Old 05-27-2014, 01:02 AM

351 posts, read 587,272 times
Elnina isn't the difference between different ice creams is because the cheaper brands have a LOT of air whipped up in them.

I notice Hagen Daz and other premium, more expensive ice creams are a lot more dense and melt slower because they have far less air in them. (And also harder to scoop)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink