Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 01:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times

Advertisements

Call me lazy... My favorite easy (not so light) meal is a peanut butter sandwich with banana and some chips & dip, followed with a squirt of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 01:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
When I was growing up it was smoked fish and bagels with cream cheese--a New York City youth.

I miss that treat even now thousands of days later, and if I could have that every Saturday night, I'd be mighty pleased.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default I love it, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
When I was growing up it was smoked fish and bagels with cream cheese--a New York City youth.

I miss that treat even now thousands of days later, and if I could have that every Saturday night, I'd be mighty pleased.
DH and I love this, too! We try to keep some frozen, thinly slicked smoked salmon on hand, cause we like to defrost it, get out the cream cheese and bagels . . . and we have gotten where we add some capers and onions if we have any around!

YUM YUM good! I love that for breakfast, lunch or dinner! We love bagels and lox or anything close to it. And I grew up in the South and no one ate that here . . . discovered it visiting relatives in NJ when I was about 8 or so!

Just thinking about it . . . craving it now . . . and sadly, no smoked salmon in the freezer tonite . . .

I think we are going to do shrimp and cheese and grapes. But this week, I am gonna find some smoked salmon now that you have me thinking about it!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I almost wish we weren't talking about--none here tonight and we are in a rather bad snow-storm. But, I know the minute I can dig out and get to town, it will be in my cart.

Enjoy your tonight dinner, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
DH and I love this, too! We try to keep some frozen, thinly slicked smoked salmon on hand, cause we like to defrost it, get out the cream cheese and bagels . . . and we have gotten where we add some capers and onions if we have any around!

YUM YUM good! I love that for breakfast, lunch or dinner! We love bagels and lox or anything close to it. And I grew up in the South and no one ate that here . . . discovered it visiting relatives in NJ when I was about 8 or so!

Just thinking about it . . . craving it now . . . and sadly, no smoked salmon in the freezer tonite . . .

I think we are going to do shrimp and cheese and grapes. But this week, I am gonna find some smoked salmon now that you have me thinking about it!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
We like to do tomato soup with grilled cheese -- only we fancy up the grilled cheese by using artisan bread -- last night was wheat with swiss cheese and sundried tomato, and use a cheese such as mozz or provolone with salami too. Yum

Old 12-16-2007, 09:21 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
I like a big bowl of homemade soup with a piece of buttered toast. By the way, that's what I had for dinner tonight.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
My favorite is a bowl of Top Ramen.
three minutes to prepare - 10 cents a serving

I like to sprinkle Parmesan/Romano on it.

Sometimes I throw a handful of frozen peas into the water

I might also add tortilla chips, croutons, pretzels or whatever I have

But it's good just plain.

I guess all those noodle carbs take it out of the "light" category, but it is cheap and easy.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 850,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not sure what to call it . . . but often on a Sat or Sun evening . . . DH and I enjoy something simple.

So we fix a platter of cheeses, some different crackers, maybe some shrimp w/ cocktail sauce . . . some sliced salami . . . grapes, cantelope . . .and a glass of white wine. We do this according to what we have on hand at the time . . .

Any suggestions for other types of combinations that would be fun and easy to fix for this type of meal?
We do this about once a month and we call it 'snack night'. We lay down a table cloth on the floor, open a bottle of champagne or wine, put some mellow music on and have cheese, crackers, salami, spinach dip and veggies, share a salad, apples or grapes, sometimes I make stuffed mushrooms or sometimes ravioli w/ feta cheese and greek olives... or whatever we can find. It is a really neat treat for us, it gives us some quality time together and we just sip and snack. I love it!!!! In fact, we haven't done that in a while... thanks for reminding me!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnR View Post
We do this about once a month and we call it 'snack night'. We lay down a table cloth on the floor, open a bottle of champagne or wine, put some mellow music on and have cheese, crackers, salami, spinach dip and veggies, share a salad, apples or grapes, sometimes I make stuffed mushrooms or sometimes ravioli w/ feta cheese and greek olives... or whatever we can find. It is a really neat treat for us, it gives us some quality time together and we just sip and snack. I love it!!!! In fact, we haven't done that in a while... thanks for reminding me!
I am now craving ravioli and also - feta cheese! And yes, champagne is the perfect accompaniment. Of course, I must confess - I love even cheap champagne!

Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,948 times
HighlandsGal...Tomato Soup and a great grilled cheese sound good!

Top Ramen...that is everbody's economical tasty friend!

And cheese and crackers are always perfect!

A quick light meal we fix quite often are BLT's wrapped in a warm tortilla.
Some good center cut bacon (either microwaved, or baked or fried),
some great plum tomatoes, sliced and cut in half,
and a piece of ice berg lettuce, (or the bagged type shredded lettuce),
all wrapped nicely in a warm tortilla.
Along side your favorite chips, maybe a crisp dill pickle
and a large glass of sweet iced tea....MMmmmmm! Perfect!

(Don't forget a big, homemade brownie for later)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink