Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

I made this:
Crock Pot Beer Chicken Recipe - 3 Points + - LaaLoosh

And like many of the reviews said, it smelled wonderful, but the chicken is mushy-mealy. I cooked it over night (about 7.5 hours on low) and it is in in my fridge now, waiting to come home to. I also added some carrots, potatos and onions.

My plan was to serve it over rice, but I think it's going to be too mushy for me. What would you do with it?

(Some of my ideas)
-Make burritos with meat picked from bones
-add some chicken stock and make it into soup
--Maybe even puree the vegies to give it body, then serve with noodles or brown rice.
-throw it away and order a pizza

^^I'm trying to eat healthy these days. I generally also like "good food". Not a huge fan of the crock, but beef and pork at least hold up. I doubt I'll be making chicken in there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I make an excellent crock pot Coq au Vin and it never turns out mushy (it cooks on low for six hours). However, I also make sure not to use chicken that has been injected with a solution that "tenderizes" the meat. I'm surprised your recipe turned out mushy. For me, the only thing to do with a failed recipe is to toss it.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Mushy chicken?

I cooked some chicken in crockpot that spent too long in the freezer and it lacked flavor and was kind of tough. I tossed it and bought more (tenderloins are cheap).

Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Just add some instant rice to the crockpot and let it cook.....it will absorb a lot of the liquid and make the meal seem a lot less mushy.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Just add some instant rice to the crockpot and let it cook.....it will absorb a lot of the liquid and make the meal seem a lot less mushy.
This is close to what I did. I cooked some brown basmati (I won't eat instant rice, bleck), and heated it all up together. Once cooled, I skimmed some of (as much of) the fat as i could, and deboned the chicken. Then heated it up with the rice. There was plenty of "jelly-like" chicken stock, which helped keep it moist. It was still dry, but not a total disaster.

I won't cook chicken in the crock again, or if I do, it will only be dark meat, and less time, but this one will be saved. Once I get down to about half, I'll probably make a chicken-veggie soup out of it and serve it with noodles.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Separate the veggies from the chicken and place them in a low sided baking dish.
pull all the meat off the chicken and put into a sauce pan and pour a jar of
chicken gravy over it and heat it up.

Bake your veggies uncovered then chunk up the potatoes and pour the chicken
gravy mix over them.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Just never use "boneless skinless chicken breasts". Those aren't fit for human or animal consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink